can you work the program minus the scale?

gbklvr
gbklvr Posts: 84 Member
The scale not only stresses me out but rules my mood! I have been doing this for about a month and I weigh myself every day and it's starting to be an issue. I'm good with logging what I eat and starting to walking. I know measuring yourself you can be inconsistent but I saw on a post about a tape measure you can get on Amazon to have it be more accurate. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    You can! I have seen some people on here that never use the scale, or weigh weekly, or even monthly. Taking pictures is a great way to track progress, also. I personally weigh and log it daily, because I love data points, but I just pay attention to the general trends. The daily fluctuations don't bother me. If they bother you, then don't do it. Sodium, weight training, hormones can all effect water retention in the body. Do what works for you.
  • gbklvr
    I did take a picture and will take another one in a couple of weeks. It's funny I love data and logging my food but the scale just stresses me and when it doesn't move or fluctuate I feel like it's in vain. Yesterday I weighed myself in the morning and at night. Three pound difference!
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    I know what you mean, for a long time I weighed myself every day -sometimes more than once. It was getting a bit ridiculous and having a negative effect on my motivation. So I have tried to just do a monthly weigh and focusing on fitness goals rather than a numer. I also took pictures but couldn't see any difference after losing 30lbs which annoyed me so I stopped that. It's really about finding what is the best motivation for you :smile:
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Sure you can, I did! I used to get scale obsessive in a bad way so I stopped and began to use measurements, clothes and the mirror as my judge. And when I restarted a month and a half ago I did the whole first month without a scale. It's totally doable! I only use a scale now because I am healthier and more in control about it.
  • gbklvr
    Fitness goal like jogging 3 miles or something like that?
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    gbklvr wrote: »
    Fitness goal like jogging 3 miles or something like that?

Yeah for me it was the Couch to 5k podcast. When I started I couldn't run for 30 seconds, now I can run for 30 mins - I can't do 5k in that time so that's what I'm working towards.

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    I had to get away from the scale everyday. I have a weekly weigh in day and use a tape measure to track inches lost in my biceps, bust, waist, hips, and thighs. I also track my BMI and VO2 fitness using the BMI calculator from WebMD and my Polar HRM to track my VO2. Seeing the inches I have lost over time and to see that my BMI and VO2 is improving as I get healthier is a great motivator for me.
  • kfesta52
    kfesta52 Posts: 98 Member
    If the scale stresses you out, then you're probably better off skipping it. You can definitely just keep track of calories and measurements. I don't think you need anything fancy, any soft tape measure will do. There are also some body fat estimation tools online that you can use to track progress. Just put in measurements every few weeks and take a screen shot. Having a fitness goal is also helpful.
  • gbklvr
    Thank you all. I like the fitness goal I never thought about that. I like the idea of measuring. Thank you, I feel less of a goober now. :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    OP you could also just weight less often so it isnt so invasive - like weekly or monthly even.

There is nowhere in MFP that says you have to weigh daily - and weighing twice daily seems really unneccesary to me.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    You can do without the scales! The worst thing to do is weigh yourself daily. It makes you obsess about it. I was 5 days into it and weighing daily and not seeing any loss. In fact I gained a pound on the 3rd day. Then I quit weighing. I am not going to weigh until I hit 30 days. Once a month is enough. I hate looking at my homepage and seeing a big zero under wt loss, but I'll no doubt see it after the month. I'm just not going to worry about it. As long as I'm under my max caloric recommendation and I'm being honest and doing the exercise, I'll be fine.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    edited October 2014
    If the scale bums you out, use it less often, or don't use it at all. Measure your success by watching your clothing size drop. You don't get your positive feedback as often, but it is such an awesome feeling to be able to zip up a pair of jeans you'd stopped wearing a year ago, because they were too small.
  • silverstar65
    silverstar65 Posts: 184 Member
    I agree,don't go by the scale, you know what you are doing..watching cals, exercising... sometimes it doesn't show on the scale. Leave it be, put it in a closet. I am. LOL

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Measuring would be the way to go, but I like the scale as well. The thing is you need to keep it in perspective. Plenty of people weight themselves once a fortnight or even longer.
    The tape measure is also a good way. You can use both.

The scales are ok for me though as long as you realise it fluctuates and that isnt always to do with anything you have done.

If ive lost then that tells me im going in the right direction.
    If ive gained then that tells me not to panic, but more determined to work that little bit more and be vigialant on my calorie control.
    If its gone nowehere, then I keep on doing what im doing.

If I hit several days where i gained, then id be reassessing what im doing and working out a solution. No panic. I just like information and feedback as to where I am.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Weight like once a month. The only 'real' need for a scale is because as you lose weight, your daily calorie needs will change. If you ignore the scale for too long your weight loss will stall.

Another fix for that is to set MFP to think you are at your goal weight already and in maintenance mode and use those calories as your daily intake.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    You can definitely not use a scale. I don't have one and try not to get too obsessed with the one at the gym. Your clothes will reflect your body's changes. In the last couple of months at maintenance, I've lost a whole size without losing a pound.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    celestlyn wrote: »
    You can do without the scales! The worst thing to do is weigh yourself daily. It makes you obsess about it. I was 5 days into it and weighing daily and not seeing any loss. In fact I gained a pound on the 3rd day. Then I quit weighing. I am not going to weigh until I hit 30 days. Once a month is enough. I hate looking at my homepage and seeing a big zero under wt loss, but I'll no doubt see it after the month. I'm just not going to worry about it. As long as I'm under my max caloric recommendation and I'm being honest and doing the exercise, I'll be fine.
    ^^^this! I am doing this also. I was weighing daily and it made depressed then to eat more bc I felt bad for not losing! I said enough! I will see what happens in a month! I eat within my range and exercise I know ill see a difference.

• AddiesHK
    AddiesHK Posts: 8 Member
    You should check out this video about weighting yourself and daily weight fluctuations.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYMNPP2ZR1U#t=12
  • Hi. I rarely weigh myself but as of today, have lost 17.5 inches since I started 2 months ago. It's doable and I prefer to measure and dress myself to see results then to depend on what the scale says. I try weighing in once in a while but never daily. In 2 months, I'm down 13 lbs but the inches loss means much more to me :)
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    I don't even own a scale. Seriously. Because if I do, I stress so bad about it, get down on myself and then it just really effects my journey negatively. I think I've decided to just do monthly photos and measurements. The scale really bums me out and this is something I want to stick with. I think if you are the same, skip the scale. :) JMHO