holy hell! I can't stop sweating!

carenjd
carenjd Posts: 40 Member
Hiya everybody. I think I know the answer to this, but just wanting some more input. I have been and AM a huge procrastinator. I finally hit my bottom when my three year old son was having a HUGE tantrum at the park and I could barely catch him when he ran towards the woods and could barely carry him back to our apartment (just right across the street). I knew it had to change, I had to change for him and for myself of course. I have such an adventurous heart, I want to swim in lakes, hike, run a marathon, etc, but my weight has always held me back. With the commitment of myself and the support of my fiance, we are committing to eating healthy and exercising. I began weight training (I'm an Massage Therapist so I know about these pesky muscles) and doing cardio a couple times a week

I tried this without much luck about a year ago, but I would eat sugary foods and blah, blah, but I thought "hey, as long as I'm under my calorie limit, I'm good!" Clearly not the case. I was starving myself with sugar.

So for the past few days, since the park incident occurred I have been eating big breakfasts, usually eggs and veggies//fruit, and for lunch or a snack, some baked chicken on a wire rack, so I don't eat the grease (not that there's a lot with chicken) and making veggie mashes, maybe one or two potatoes, but mostly carrots and turnips. Anyways! I've been eating 3 small meals and 2 snacks, as advised, but now I CANNOT stop sweating. It's not dripping down my face usually unless I'm cooking, but the back of my head and neck are always damp, and my upper lip and face always have a cool sheen of sweat. Oh, and I've been drinking a lot more water too, obviously. About a 10 oz cup every 1 to 2 hours.

I'm assuming its because my metabolism is increasing because I'm eating more often? Any pearls of wisdom out there? I'd appreciate it!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    There is this thing called "diet induced thermogenesis" which is the energy used to process the food you eat. More food especially protein means more DIT and the extra heat may well appear as an increase in body temperature in order to dissipate the heat to the surroundings.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    No idea on the sweat, but dont eat the chicken skin as thats where lots of the calories and fat are. Ofc you can if its in your diet, but you get to eat more chicken with the calories you save.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    edited October 2014
    Everybody sweats. Some sweat more than others. I can sweat buckets, but it's a miracle if I sweat through my shirt (other than my pits area)
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Might be worth a trip to the doc to set your mind at rest.
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Hi carenjd, I'm Cat. I'm 54, and I started sweating profusely in my mid- to late-20's. I'd drench the bed, or drip down my face and neck and everywhere during a laid-back meeting wearing shorts & short sleeves in a air-conditioned room. Or be sitting in front of the TV and begin to feel a bloom of heat coming on. Hand fans and bandannas have become my go-to accessories.

Been to many doctors in many towns and states over the years. Their first assumption is always: it's your thyroid. So we'd do the thyroid tests and they'd always come back normal. One doctor suggested I try going off birth control for awhile. Holy heck, I was mid-20's and I was NOT going off birth control. He just had no ideas and was casting around.

Finally, a few months ago my regular doctor wasn't in so I saw this other guy and I mentioned about my 30-year struggle with profuse sweating. He said we could try something called Propantheline Bromide 15 mg. It says take 1 or 2 tablets twice a day. I didn't see a difference when taking only one, but am having success with 2 tablets instead. Not perfect, mind you, but definitely better. Maybe you could check it out. Good luck!

BTW, since I've experienced 30 years of hot flashes, it seems only fair that now that I'm menopausal I'd be given a sweating reprieve, right? Nope, no such luck. Oh well, at least it's better.