5'8" women who are losing slow&steady!

Options
Hey everyone!

So my name is Emma and I'm 21 years old. I'm 5'8" (well actually 172 cm so that's... a little less than 5'8"?) and started at 198lbs. I'm now 156lbs, which means I am no longer overweight.

However, I'm not done yet! I want to lose those last (well okay there are a few left, hehe) pounds to get me to my goal weight. My first goal weight is 152lbs (which would mean I have lost exactly 20kg!). Afterwards it's on to 143 lbs and hopefully a little lower eventually as time goes by. My ultimate-ultimate-ultimate goal weight is around 135lbs.

I could probably shed those 4 pounds keeping me from my first goal weight quite quickly, but I'm one of the slow&steady school. I'm not planning to reach this goal until december 1, which means a 0,5lbs weekly loss. I just don't want to give up on my student lifestyle to lose weight faster!

So, my question is: are there any other girls my age who are going slow&steady? If so, please be my friend? :smile:

Replies

• mundaycarroll
    mundaycarroll Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you.. I am doing the slow and steady pace. I love the quote 'it's a marathon not a sprint'. I started my journey back in May even though I have been a member of MFP for a while now. Since I began I have been losing an average of .4 to .5 a week and my goal weight is actually the same as yours. I am 5' 6.5" tall though. I'll send you a friend request! :smile:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not your age but I am 5'8". It's taken me two years to lose 30 pounds because I wanted to do this slowly and the right way. I took a few months off and ate at maintenance. When I started cutting calories again the weight melted off. My next goal is to lose 5 more pounds (I'm at 160 now) but I'm not giving myself a time limit. When I reach it, I reach it.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing amazing & just wanted to congratulate you!!! Well done!!

Slow & steady always wins the race - Just keep doing what your doing. If you want to lose quicker tighten it up. I think anywhere from 140 - 150 is a good weight for your height.

I am 5 ft 9 and currently 147lbs... I only want to lose a few lbs!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    not your age but I am 5'8 and have lost 33lbs since June 1st

I have now reduced my weight loss goal to 0.5lbs a week as I wanted to increase my intake
    for the winter months and I'm actually quite happy at my current weight even though it would take me another 13lbs to get to maximum BMI

so I'm hoping I have your perseverance
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Im the exact height as the OP and we have the same goals....Im currently 144-ish...Im actually OK with my current pant/dress size... my remaining pouinds to lose are for vanity sake....
  • momtastik
    momtastik Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm 34 a little taller than 5'8 (5'9" and a quarter or two) and started logging religiously a bit over 50 days ago. I'm getting frustrated because in these 50 days, I'm only down 9lb from the dr.s measurements (medical scale) and down about 6 lbs from my measurements (my home scale). I am set to lose 1lb a week but I err on the side of caution. Even though my allowance is 1800 cals, I count the weight of peels on fruit etc. to create a buffer. I've been hovering around the same weight for a week or so...so frustrating! I have small kids, so I don't want to do anything drastic/destabilizing that would make me too cranky to be a sensible parent/partner. I'm wanting to lose 31 more lbs to get to my first goal. It's good to at least have community now!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're doing perfectly and in line with what you want - I think your maths is just up the spout

50 days /7 days per week = 7.14 weeks
    9 lbs/7.14 weeks = 1.3lbs per week loss

• gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    Hey! I'm 27 so a little older than you but I'm 5'8" and have similar goals! Currently 230... can't wait to get to Onederland. Ultimate goal is 154 (so I can say I've lost half my body ;) ).

I am slow and steady at about a 1 lb loss a week... wish it were more but I'm in it for the long haul, not a quick fix!
  • momtastik
    momtastik Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I guess my grievance is that I count so much buffer in, it feels like I should be at more of a deficit than the 1/1.3lb/week loss. I'll stay the course! Thanks all! I'm 233 right now. I just wish it were faster!! who doesn't? Let me channel my inner Aesop and appreciate the slow and steady.
  • OneGoodBean
    OneGoodBean Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm doing slow and steady because I think that's healthiest. I'm more 5'9" and am almost 30 years old. I have a LOT more weight to lose though. I'm 323 (down 9 pounds!) and am hoping to get to 160 eventually. I'm not sure I could lose more than that though. I'll find out when I get there. :) Keep up the good work.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and I started at over 200 pounds and a tight size 12 pants. I'm currently 176 and a loose 10. I would ideally like to be 155, but I'm a lot older than you lolol. Anything below 150 would be a dream for me but I'm trying to be realsitic.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I aim for ~4-5lbs a month max. One thing you might want to consider though is to re-evaluate your end goal now that you are pretty close to your original goal. Do you have body composition goals in mind, or just wanting to be a certain size? For me, I want to reach a certain body fat % range for aesthetic reasons before bulking (strength training+ hypertrophy training, super excited for this!) So my current goal is 150lbs, but if I reach my bf goal before that then obviously I'll stop. If I don't reach it at that point I will continue. So just remember that your goals should be somewhat fluid.

I do figure though that my absolutely minimum wil be 140lbs. But I think 145-150 is a low enough weight to reach, if not a bit low.
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    I'm not your age (heh-heh) but I am 5' 8" and started at 183 and am done to 152, and also did 1 pound (with a bonus pound extra here and there) per week.

I'm down 31 pounds and shooting for probably 142 which puts me in the middle of the BMI. I might go into the 130's if that's what it takes to show the abs more. We'll see, I do not want to look scrawny....I lift, do pullups, plyometrics, yoga, etc. So I'm looking for a recomposition.

I started my calories at (using the TDEE method) 1750 - 1800, then after 15 pounds lost, moved it down to 1650 per day. I haven't lowed it again because I'm still loosing a pound per week, and I want to eat as high as possible to hold onto muscle. I eat 40/40/20 (protein/carbs/fat) ratios for macronutrients. That works for me.

No starving for me :) I just LOVE to eat :)

You doing it the right way.... you should be proud of your accomplishments so far!

Slow and steady wins the race.
  • kahulalui
    kahulalui Posts: 33
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't think I am doing it on purpose but, I lose 1 lb. a week. I wish I could lose more a week like some people. I didn't have to do anything much different but, count what I am eating and make sure I am eating enough for my activity level. I am active and eat well.

I have found that if I lose too fast or don't eat enough I gain it back. Happened to me at least 3 times in my life. So I guess I will take it!