Is it "fun" or is it "exercise" -- our perception matters

Options
Interesting study on exercise versus "fun" -- Is it fun or exercise? The framing of physical activity biases subsequent snacking -- The findings showed that when physical activity was perceived as fun (e.g., when it is labeled as a scenic walk rather than an exercise walk), people subsequently consume less dessert at mealtime and consume fewer hedonic snacks. A final observational field study during a competitive race showed that the more fun people rated the race as being, the less likely they were to compensate with a hedonic snack afterwards. Engaging in a physical activity seems to trigger the search for reward when individuals perceive it as exercise but not when they perceive it as fun. [LINK: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11002-014-9301-6 ]

Replies

• alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I'll never understand people who do not enjoy exercise.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    alereck wrote: »
    Easy. It hurts. It's our natural instinct to shy away from things that cause us pain or discomfort. If workout out caused orgasms, well then people would be all for it no questions. But it doesn't, it causes sweat, and pain. It's work.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Easy. It hurts. It's our natural instinct to shy away from things that cause us pain or discomfort. If workout out caused orgasms, well then people would be all for it no questions. But it doesn't, it causes sweat, and pain. It's work.

Sweat and pain usually helps me orgasm, maybe that's why I like to exercise?
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    FUN! But you should add a third option in here... "therapy" haha!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I personally don't enjoy "exercise." Hate weights. The gym is boring. On the other hand, I do like to take bike rides, go hiking, swim a few laps, shovel snow and work out in the yard. That's definitely more enjoyable. I just thought it was interesting how our perceptions color what we do so much.
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have a lot of things I'd prefer to do instead of pumping iron.

like painting my toe nails, washing my dog, watching true blood, accounting, shopping, youtube, playing on mfp, cooking, etc.

pretty much anything but exercising, actually. It makes it hard to breathe D:
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I love lifting at the gym, and I love running to the gym and back. It just makes me feel awesome.
    I hate doing stuff like yard work and I don't particularly like hiking, nor do I own a bike.
    Everyone enjoys different things I guess! :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I think a lot depends on your objectives, and whether you're exercising or training.

My thought would be that if you're exercising, then yes why do something that you don't enjoy. If you're training, then there are going to be some elements of that programme that you may not enjoy, or may acively dislike. They support the achievement of objectives though.

Personally my objectives are running and cycling related. I enjoy running, cycling, and swimming as part of pursuing that objective. I don't enjoy resistance training, it's dull as f**k, but have to do it to support the running, and to a lesser extent the cycling, performance. It's a means to an end.
  • drazani
    drazani Posts: 98 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I must be a special snowflake then, wether its fun or exercise i always want to snack after :p

Edited coz i havent had enough coffee yet
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    So basically this "study" confirms what a lot of us say about exercise, find something you love to do then it doesn't seem like "exercise"...
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    it isnt fun its hard work but worth it when you feel good after it.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Zumba! It definitely doesn't feel like exercise ;-)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    interesting- i do not consider it fun. and I do not consider it "exercise" I never have to check my "oh did I workout today" box off.

I'm not there to check that box and go home- I'm there to train because I love it. it has nothing to do with "fun" fun is hanging around drinking beers- or shooting pool- or mini golf- this is work- but it's not a box I check. It's all about being better than I was the day before- attacking my life from all sides.

Same with dance- people go "oh fun" I'm like it's not fun- I mean I HAVE fun- and I love what I do- but it's not "fun" fun is a hobby. this is my life- these are my passions- I would rather stop breathing than give up lifting or dancing because it's THAT much a part of who I am.

There should be a 3rd category. because seriously- athletes and people who compete or train as if they are competing don't fall into either of those categories!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    This marketing research isn't about people with specific fitness goals. It's about a mental reward system, "Hey I ran a mile today - I've earned a great big piece of cheese cake". The idea of having fun is a distraction. If the person doesn't feel like they've put in hard work they didn't earn anything - they were just having fun. There's no need for a reward. If the effort was hard and unpleasant they reward themselves with food.

I think those with specific fitness goals have a different reward system. That is, it's unlikely that they will reward themselves with food. The reward is the accomplishment itself; a new 1RM max or a new 5K time. Or they may buy a new pair of running shoes or a new set of plates, etc. It's a different mind set.

• sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    This marketing research isn't about people with specific fitness goals. It's about a mental reward system, "Hey I ran a mile today - I've earned a great big piece of cheese cake". The idea of having fun is a distraction. If the person doesn't feel like they've put in hard work they didn't earn anything - they were just having fun. There's no need for a reward. If the effort was hard and unpleasant they reward themselves with food.

I think those with specific fitness goals have a different reward system. That is, it's unlikely that they will reward themselves with food. The reward is the accomplishment itself; a new 1RM max or a new 5K time. Or they may buy a new pair of running shoes or a new set of plates, etc. It's a different mind set.

Ding ding we have a winner.

I honestly never understood food as a reward, but I can see where that's a biggie.
  • lisabinco
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    There should be a 3rd category. because seriously- athletes and people who compete or train as if they are competing don't fall into either of those categories!
    Interesting point. I've always assumed that people who compete or train are doing so out of competitiveness, the "joy" of competition, and that it must be "fun" for that type of person. Otherwise why do it? I can't wrap my mind around it.
  • lisabinco
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    The "joy" of competition, whether it's against other people or just themselves. The challenge of it, which I suppose is an enjoyment of its own.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    We often joke that some of our activities are "Exercise disguised as fun" - If my exercise wasn't fun, I simply wouldn't go it, I'm hedonistic like that.