Starting out running, is this a good mile time?

Options
Hey everyone,

I have long been a walker, and have never really worried about pace, until I got MapMyRun and RunKeeper HAHA. I've timed myself on a few walks and typically can complete a mile walking in about 17 minutes, I don't know if that is good or not.

Anyways, I've never ran just to run, but I see so many people where I live doing it, and I have a co worker who runs and she is all about it so, I started last Tuesday. I went out and ran for two miles with a goal of hitting a 10 minute mile pace. My first mile I wouldn't say I gave it my all, but I ran the entire mile, even up and down two decent hills, until I got the mile notified in my ear from MapMyRun.

My pace was 10:04. I was pretty proud of myself, it felt really good to basically hit my goal my first time out. I walked/jogged on my way back and my second mile was something like 11:45. I am curious though, is 10:04 a decent speed? I'm not really interested in being fast, I'm way more interested in just going the distance and having the endurance to finish a long run, but I am curious lol.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am curious though, is 10:04 a decent speed?

It largely depends on how long you intend running for. If I'm doing a mile I'll do it a lot faster than if I'm running 13.1 miles.

Personally I walk at about a 12 minute mile, based on my Garmin.

So what you do now depends on your objectives, if it's increasing distance it's a question of sustaining a pace for a longer period of time, so probably slowing down a bit in order to keep moving for longer.

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I'm running at a 12-13 minute mile. You're doing well to run a full mile on your first run, I still can't do it but I take too much rest between runs at the moment.

a 10 minute mile is a good starting point
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Personally I would pull back my friend and rethink the questions I want to ask. Is 10 minutes per mile a good pace isn't (in my opinion) a good question. It depends. If you are running to get fit then the more important questions would be- "how can I run for longer", "how can I run faster", "how can I make sure I don't get injured" rather than "is my pace any good". The first questions have definite answers - you can achieve them. Is 10 minute a mile good - well that depends of so much the question loses validity because the answer is both yes (you honestly are doing fantastic) and no , you are not hitting 5 minute miles so you won't be able to compete at county level :-), i.e the question needs context of what you are trying to achieve. I personally think 10 minute miles are admirable and you are doing great :-)
    -
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am training for a 10k and hope to do it in an hour so 10 minute miles for an hour is a good pace to me... But it's all relative to the distance you're running and what your goal is over all?
  • TimTimTimma
    Options
    davert123 wrote: »
    Personally I would pull back my friend and rethink the questions I want to ask. Is 10 minutes per mile a good pace isn't (in my opinion) a good question. It depends. If you are running to get fit then the more important questions would be- "how can I run for longer", "how can I run faster", "how can I make sure I don't get injured" rather than "is my pace any good". The first questions have definite answers - you can achieve them. Is 10 minute a mile good - well that depends of so much the question loses validity because the answer is both yes (you honestly are doing fantastic) and no , you are not hitting 5 minute miles so you won't be able to compete at county level :-), i.e the question needs context of what you are trying to achieve. I personally think 10 minute miles are admirable and you are doing great :-)
    -

Thanks, yeah, my speed honestly is irrelevant to me, at least until MapMyRun tells me how fast or slow I'm going lol. I really am far more interested in running for longer. I want to be able to run 3-5 miles non stop eventually, that way I can do a 5k with a co-worker of mine, and who knows maybe I will enjoy it so much I want to do something even bigger like a 10k :P