Breaking the binge cycle

Options
In the past I have lost 20-30 lbs quick on some fad diet then I always end up craving my favorite and forbidden foods so bad that I binge on them and go right back to overeating and gain all the weight back. I am really trying to break that cycle. So far I've been using MFP for 17 days and only 3 of those days have I gone over my calorie allowance for the day on purpose. I'm trying to train myself that I can still eat all my favorite foods but in moderation. For example I went to the movies today. Normally I would've smuggled in some ice cream from Cold Stone Creamery and I would also have buttered popcorn and soda. Today I only had popcorn and water. No ice cream or soda. Then my Mom wanted me to bring a pizza over for dinner. I only had 3 slices. Normally I probably would've had at least 4. Friday night I went out for some spicy Thai food. I ate about 2000 calls yesterday and today but I didn't exercise at all so I went over my calories for these days. My question to you all is how do you continue to eat your favorite foods without going over your calories for the day or week and sabotaging your progress?

Replies

• lamitch11
    lamitch11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for you. Portion control of my "bad" foods is really hard for me.

One thing you could try is to make portions of the stuff, use snack baggies etc to see exactly what you can have. Like at work if all I have is 1 serving of a snack then that's all I get. It doesn't really help for when you get home though but maybe the craving will have passed.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I must say, it's impressive that you were able to smuggle in ice cream to the movie theater. I would love to know how to do that.

The key to success is moderation - as you've pointed out. We've all done the yo-yoing and I'm so happy for you that you've given up on that. Here are my suggestions based on what works for ME:
    - get a scale with a tare feature, so you can put a plate/bowl, etc on and measure out a portion of whatever food you are eating (i.e. ice cream, chips, etc.) and then PUT IT AWAY.
    - save your treats for the end of the day. Fill the beginning of the day with good nutritious food to fuel your body.
    - I always portion out my lunches the night before so I can just grab and go. They have tiny little tupperwear thingies which are perfect for snacks.
    - This might not work for you but I have five mini meals (300-400 cal) per day and I'm never hungry or deprived.
    - If you want pizza, have a slice or two with a side dish. Try to always squeeze in a serving or two of veggies with your dinner. If you eat everything on your plate, drink your water (see below) and are still hungry wait 10 minutes and re-evaluate.
    - Always drink water (or similar) with meals. Sometimes you don't realize that you are full because you haven't been drinking and you are just dehydrated.

good luck and great job so far.
  • meikab22
    meikab22 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That's a great suggestions; portion out your favorite foods and limit the amount you keep on hand. Also, the internet is great for finding healthier ways to make your own favorite treats. It's a little more work...but so worth it in the long run. Start small by replacing one take-out meal/snack per day and then gradually make better swaps.
  • HopeKasrai
    HopeKasrai Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I find life is much easier when I'm not denying myself every food I want. Usually during the week, I don't eat candy or sweets, or too much bread. I try to eat a lot of veggies and fruits with each meal... just makes it more satisfying. I also have a nice sweet Quest bar for my afternoon snack. Not only does it keep me full, it also lets me give into my sweet cravings without breaking the calorie bank. On Saturdays, I eat pretty much normally, but I also let myself eat a few mini candies or frozen yogurt as well. We also try not to keep tempting things in the house. We have a Yonanas machine and some Healthy Choice frozen yogurts for when we just have to have dessert while watching SVU. Occasional indulgence really helps me keep on track each day.
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    LexiMelo wrote: »
    I must say, it's impressive that you were able to smuggle in ice cream to the movie theater. I would love to know how to do that.

Smuggling ice cream into a movie theater is my specialty. Order an ice cream then have them put it into a larger container with a lid on it. Put that and a spoon in a paper bag. Put paper bag into your large purse/totebag with some napkins. Voila! Ice cream at the theater. :)

Thanks for your help, ideas and support everyone! Even after my "relaxed" long weekend and a little indulging I am still down pounds. I am not supposed to weigh myself until Thursday this week (trying to weight once a week on the same day) but I weighed myself today and I haven't gained anything back. I am actually down more weight. *sigh of relief*