Not enough calories or low blood pressure?

Options
lemonsurprise
lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I eat 1,200 per day with no exercise, or 1,200 + half my exercise back. I guess on average I'm eating 1,400. Been doing this about 70 days now. Before this I've never felt like there was a problem or that I was lacking in anything.

Now, when I was at a healthy weight I had low blood pressure. I put on a considerable amount of weight, maybe 90lbs and my blood pressure became normal according to the doctors for the first time ever.
I've now lost 35lbs and am getting all the signs of low blood pressure. Dizzy and unsteady when I make quick movements, if my head is even slightly above the 180 angle, when I'm pushing myself on the weights at gym, and particularly when I go from sitting to standing.

I am going to the doctors but with a big waiting list I'm wondering what people's opinions on here are.
If it is too few calories then what am I lacking in?
If it is blood pressure then it can really come up and down like that depending on weight only?
Has anybody had similar things?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I am going to the doctors but with a big waiting list I'm wondering what people's opinions on here are.
    If it is too few calories then what am I lacking in?
    If it is blood pressure then it can really come up and down like that depending on weight only?
    Has anybody had similar things?
    Good on ya for going to the doc.

From how it sounds though, making a WAG, I'd say there might be potential issues with either intake or blood pressure.

What is your blood pressure right now? What was "a healthy weight"? With your intake, are you hitting all of your micronutrients? How are your electrolyte levels?

I've had a few instances of dizzy spells when my electros were way out of whack.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Only the doctor will really be able to answer that but that cal goal does sound quite low? Do you know what your BMR is? you should be consuming at least this many calories.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

It may be worthing upping your calories at least until you have seen the doctor to see if this helps
  • lemonsurprise
    Options
    I can't answer many of them! No idea about blood pressure, I just get it done at the doctors and pay attention to the "normal" or "low" rather than the numbers. Again, no idea about my healthy weight as I didn't own scales back then but around 140, 150lbs. Maybe on the lower side of overweight actually. The things I lack in is occasionally potassium and fairly regularly I'll be under on my protein by 10-20g's.
    As for the electrolytes, I've just had to look up exactly what they are and what an imbalance is. Just before I started loosing the weight I had quite a few blood tests taken at the doctors due to an irregular heartbeat (which is now improving) and everything came back completely normal so I assume it would have been picked up on then.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    What's your current weight and body fat percentage, also what is the percentage split of your macros per day?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    A bit more salt and potassium in foods may help if you have low blood pressure due to dieting. Blood pressure meters are cheap or have it measured at a pharmacy.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'd bet your doc will ask you to monitor your BP for a while, so I'd beat him to the punch by hitting up a local pharmacy to monitor your blood pressure daily until you can get in to see the doc (or even most grocery stores have the machines now). Make it the same time of day and the same machine, record the readings, and take the info to your appointment. Not only will you get a feel for if your BP is consistently on the low side prior to your visit, you'll also have the necessary data to save yourself from another forever-wait for another appointment and payment.
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    I'd bet your doc will ask you to monitor your BP for a while, so I'd beat him to the punch by hitting up a local pharmacy to monitor your blood pressure daily until you can get in to see the doc (or even most grocery stores have the machines now). Make it the same time of day and the same machine, record the readings, and take the info to your appointment. Not only will you get a feel for if your BP is consistently on the low side prior to your visit, you'll also have the necessary data to save yourself from another forever-wait for another appointment and payment.

Great advice!

I'd also add that losing 35 pounds in 70 days indicates that you're at a significant calorie deficit. I'm not surprised at all that you're feeling dizzy & weak. And, since you're trying to lose >50 pounds, don't forget that your skin is going to have more trouble contracting back down if you lose too quickly. That's a good motivation for slow & steady weight loss.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You can go to just about any drug store and check your blood pressure to give you a general idea.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    While you wait for a doctor, my advice would be to take more more interest in the details of your health status so you can pinpoint what's going on here and give some useful info for the doctor to diagnose you. That's a good life habit, to be paying attention to and knowledgeable about your body. And useful in this circumstance, since these symptoms like dizziness could be tied to all sorts of things....heart rate, BP, blood sugar, nutritional deficiency, dehydration, too few calories, etc. Hard to say without good data on your life. I had some symptoms like that yours a few months back, and I think it was iron-related (because tracking nutrition, discovering that I had been drastically shorting myself on iron, and fixing the problem made the symptoms go away and not come back)

So, figure out what a healthy weight and calorie level is for your age/sex/etc. This is basic info you ought to know if you are restricting calories! Do some good tracking of your diet so you can show the doc exactly what you are eating and also examine it yourself. Notice patterns, like are their nutrients you are falling consistently low in? Are their patterns related to your eating that can predict this feeling (e.g., it happens after lots of carbs, or skipping meals, etc.? Are you eating consistently below your BMR or having net calories that are too low (< 1200ish?). Are you drinking enough water? Dehydration can make a person feel awful. If so, address that problem and see if it helps.

Since you have known heart issues, that is a likely candidate. So go buy a blood pressure cuff, learn how to take it and what the normal range is, establish a baseline resting heart rate and blood pressure for you on a good day, then when you feel bad take readings and see if you are super-low at that moment.

Hopefully you can pinpoint what is wrong or some pattern that you can address yourself (if it is calorie related) or at least give the doc some good data to work with.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    You can also monitor your blood pressure by buying a small wrist strap blood pressure monitor. They are fairly accurate. Mine gets monitored because its always on the low side unless I've been taking my ADHD medications.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'd also add that losing 35 pounds in 70 days indicates that you're at a significant calorie deficit. I'm not surprised at all that you're feeling dizzy & weak. And, since you're trying to lose >50 pounds, don't forget that your skin is going to have more trouble contracting back down if you lose too quickly. That's a good motivation for slow & steady weight loss.

WOW, great catch. I didn't see that. OP, that is a drastic weight loss rate, even if you are severely obese. Wouldn't surprise me if you have developed a nutritional issue.
  • lemonsurprise
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I did start to loose weight before joining MFP but do accept that even with the previous weight loss, it has been a quick one.
    My BMR is 1,600 and apart from the exercise I add in (including steps) I do practically nothing. Can anybody suggest what a more suited calorie intake would be without jumping up too high straight away? I have about 50 lbs to loose still.
    I'll also invest in a blood pressure monitor, I didn't realise they were so readily available to buy!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    This can easily be high BP too just depends on what your eating but we don't see your diary...Its great your going to the Physician stop by your local pharmacy they may have a BP cuff just to test it for you to get a basic number. If your eating processed foods they can contribute to high sodium intake which can lead to high BP but it all just depends..make sure that your drinking enough water as well the symptoms you are having can be numerous things... Good luck....
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Thank god I live in America. No waiting on a list for months for something to be diagnosed in 10 minutes. You're welcome socialized Healthcare.

Well at least we don't have to pay for it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have low blood pressure, but it came after I started running. My GP and a surgeon told me that low blood pressure often comes from regular exercise, especially running.

When in for a surgical consultation, the doctor asked me if I ever fainted. I told him no, but that I sometimes have head rushes. He said people who run as much as I do and have low blood pressure are prone to fainting. I'm glad I have not fainted from low blood pressure (or anything else, except when I once had blood drawn).

That's silly you should be on a waiting list, but I understand that's the protocol in some countries. If I were you, I'd push to get into your doctor.

If you are exercising, I suggest increasing the calories. Sodium is supposed to help with low blood pressure, but I eat a lot of salt and my blood pressure continues to be low (average range from 90/58 to 100/62, depending on the stress level). The doctor does not seem too concerned about it. My pulse with normal activities (non-exercise) is about 58. I'm afraid to check my resting pulse (waking up still lying in bed).
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Thank god I live in America. No waiting on a list for months for something to be diagnosed in 10 minutes. You're welcome socialized Healthcare.

Thank god I live in the UK, no waiting on a list for months (four days, actually) for something that can be diagnosed in ten minutes (impressive, it was a rare blood disorder) and then I didn't have to pay for any of it or any of my aftercare or resulting surgery. Thank you National Health Service ;)

On topic, though, I don't think 1200 is too low when you have a lot to lose and when your BMR is 1600, and you don't exercise. You might be lacking in a nutrient though, depending on your diet.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    The best source of potassium is food of course (bananas, white potatoes), but I have found in general, some flavors of vitamin water zero have more electrolites than gatorade and other sports drinks. You can also get magnesium supplements. I too have low blood pressure and low pulse (down to 40 at the doctors last time - but 62 yesterday) and a left branch bundle block, which they found when I took an EKG (electrical abnormality whish is usually benign if found before the age of 50). They can also do a stress test while you wear an electrical monitor to see how everything goes when you work out. My doctor said my heart was fine when working out, but I do occasionally get light headed at different times - working out or just randomly. Lowering your calorie intake and exercise of course can make you light headed at times. It also depends upon when you eat, not just how much. I do not eat before I run, just drink coffee with milk, but I do eat right after. When I exercise at the gym, I have something light before I work out and always have a snack in my car for the ride home after I lift weights (usually a smoothie or yogurt or banana). I do NOT think carrying excess weight is going to improve your heart health or symptoms. Take good care of yourself!
  • nicoleagafitness
    nicoleagafitness Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've had low blood pressure forever and have actually passed out when I was pregnant from it. It didn't matter my weight for my body. I would go to great lengths to make sure your diet is good, you're getting enough water and not overdoing exercise.

Also, if you don't know a nurse to do your bp, I'd go to the pharmacy and check it just to get a vague idea and not freak out about it.