Cl- ion: Everyone says I'm negative - looking for positive friends.

Options
neandermagnon
neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
I'm a chlorine ion and everyone keeps on saying I'm negative. I try really hard to be positive, but I just can't exist with only 6 electrons in my outer shell. Maybe I need some positive friends.

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    And there I was thinking all the good chemistry jokes argon.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Well, you might want to look in the mirror from time to time. Maybe people think you have a heart of steel? I, however, know it is of gold.
  • pirate_john_75
    pirate_john_75 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That joke was sodium funny.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I would just pair you up with someone like you, but you chlorines are takers and not givers, so I don't think you'd get along...

(Also, it's 5 electrons in the outer shell, but who's counting)
  • pirate_john_75
    Options
    Want me to tell a joke about potassium?

K
  • pirate_john_75
    Options
    Oxygen and potassium met and went on a date. The date was OK.
  • _John_
    Options
    Argon...be back later
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    I would just pair you up with someone like you, but you chlorines are takers and not givers, so I don't think you'd get along...

it's in group 7 so the atom has 7 electrons in the outer shell... for it to be a positive ion it'd have to lose an electron, which AFAIK doesn't happen with group 7 elements (i.e. they form negative ions by gaining electrons)

if there's some deeper aspect of chemistry that I'm missing here, then I plead being a biologist rather than a chemist.... o:)

• _John_
    Options
    Yeah, I just didn't read all of it...I was trying to be nuetral...
  • AglaeaC
    Options

it's in group 7 so the atom has 7 electrons in the outer shell... for it to be a positive ion it'd have to lose an electron, which AFAIK doesn't happen with group 7 elements (i.e. they form negative ions by gaining electrons)

if there's some deeper aspect of chemistry that I'm missing here, then I plead being a biologist rather than a chemist.... o:)

nm is correct. Cl is in group 7 and therefore wants the final e- to create an anion with a full outer shell; group 1 metals lose an e- and become kations. No deeper aspect missed.
    /derailing
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Yeah, I just didn't read all of it...I was trying to be nuetral...

*snicker*
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

nm is correct. Cl is in group 7 and therefore wants the final e- to create an anion with a full outer shell; group 1 metals lose an e- and become kations. No deeper aspect missed.
    /derailing

I always have this urge to pronounce anion to rhyme with onion and cation to rhyme with station...

Oh I just love English phonics

and chemistry.