Exercise migraines. Please suggest.

Options
Hi

I am 5'2" 28yo female. I have a desk job, so yes, sedentary lifestyle. I need to lose some 20 lbs.

I re-started my weight loss journey a month back. And analysed what i did wrong last time.

My TDEE comes to around 1700 and BMR around 1350 (by online calculators).
I have set MFP to 0.5 lbs per week. MFP has set my calorie goal to 1400.
I eat clean. Every meal is homemade. And i weight everything I eat.

Problem:
I am generally hungry at 1400.
I feel like I need to eat more since I am always hungry. That sabotages the already small calorie deficit I have.
So, I am left with no option than exercising. But due to my migraine, I cant do any exercise other than brisk walk (which i do for half an hour 5-6 times a week). :sad:

I have already tried
30DS: failed miserably, since migraine started when I was 10 minutes into it. Tried for 10 days but same everyday.
C25K looked promising, same fate from first day. After week 3, I had to stop it.. Seems every exercise that gets me to push myself even a bit triggers a real bad migraine.
Later, I heard exercise is a known migraine trigger.

So I am back to plain old walking.

Could somebody advise me regarding how to make things work? Does anyone else also experience it?
It is just frustrating.

Replies

• generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hello :)

I get very severe migraines on a regular basis (blacking out, loss of vision and more) and yes, I do see a neurologist but we're kind of stuck at this point.

Anyway, I've noticed that if I exercise in the heat, don't drink enough water OR drink too much water without balancing it with sodium, I'm more likely to get a headache. it's kind of a balancing act but basically do what you can and try to anticipate problems before they start. If possible, make a journal or use your MPF log to show you where you might need to make adjustments.

I recently ran a marathon, so you can do it, it just takes some work to get there :)
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 1700, you can eat more than 1400 calories and still lose weight. Yes, it will be slower, but so long as you're under your TDEE, you'll be losing weight. (Keep in mind the internet calculators are just averages and estimates, so you might need to experiment to see what your true TDEE is).

As for exercise, maybe try other lower impact exercises like yoga? Or non-jumping exercises like squats, push-ups, lunges, etc. Make sure to get in a good warm up and good cool down. Keep hydrated, and eat about 1.5 hours before your workout.

http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-exercise-and-migraine-10714
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    A couple of approaches are possible. Firstly, I can't see what you're eating, but what you eat (regardless of clean or not) can affect your "satiety" and how long you feel "full"/how long it takes you to get hungry again. Many small meals, each containing a little carb, some protein and some fat (nothing higher than 50% of calories and nothing lower than 25% insures some degree of balance), can help get you through the day without ever being hungry. Eating foods with lots of fiber and water can help - salad greens, celery, broccoli, etc. A few nuts can fill a "hole" without a horrible calorie hit (watch portion sizes - nuts ARE high calorie - it's just a small handful can sometimes be "enough"). Refined sugar can stimulate appetite, so it may help to avoid sugar (other than from "whole" fruit or dairy sources)

Make sure you aren't eating other migraine triggers. I can't think what they are - but it should be easy to look up.

Migraines are though to occur when blood vessels in your head either dilate or contract (I think for some it is one and other people the other). Try keeping your head and neck cool (to reduce dilation) or warm (to keep the vessels normally dilated). You may have to experiment and it's possible neither will help.

Settle for walking. It's good exercise, although more time consuming than some other options.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Check your blood pressure at rest, during light activity & when the migraine starts. You might be having a blood pressure spike at the start of heavy exertion.

Do you have any known migraine triggers, such as smells or specific foods? If your exercising in a gym, perhaps there is a fragrance or smell affecting you, or maybe you're eating something in preparation for heavy exercising.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Is the problem tied to specific movements?

I have something similar happen. Sometimes I get migraines from just overdoing in general, but often it seems tied to overdoing on exercises that work muscles in or near the neck and scapula.

The good news is that this has gotten better and happens less often as those areas get stronger and more used to moving.

You might want to talk to a doctor about this, physical therapy may help and a good one might be able to give you special excercises that will fix the problem areas to the point where you can continue on a normal excercise program on your own.
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    You need to eat more calories and drink tons of water.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    I used to get exercise induced migraines. Hydration might help.

Walking is a perfectly fine exercise. You may find that after longer and longer walking sessions, you will eventually be able to run a bit without the migraine. Overheating causes rapid vasodilation and triggers the migraine.

Try taking a Magnesium supplement - they really helped me. I was on prescriptions too. It is a balancing act, and you may not have success but exercise is really important to your cardiovascular system. Unfortunately the cardiovascular system is also intricately involved in migraines.

I know I would rather never exercise again than suffer a migraine. Good luck.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Someone mentioned trigger foods. They are most commonly:

Citrus, Caffeine, Chocolate, Peanuts, Cheese.

Also sulfites - some people find deli meats to be triggers, and wine. Hard cheeses are particularly bad. Wheat has recently become a recognized migraine trigger in many people.
  • RickNeedzToGetShreaded
    RickNeedzToGetShreaded Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Dehydration? I drink a gallon of water a day atleast, stops me from getting headaches while working out.
  • pinballwyzard
    pinballwyzard Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to get really bad headaches/migraines after heavy exercise that would sometimes last for hours. After asking a couple of PT's at the gym - I found it was quite common and that it was due to working on a PC.

Basically - due to looking up & down all day from keyboard to screen - my neck muscles had shortened and tightened. When my blood pressure rose during exercise - the blood and oxygen could not get through to my brain due to the tightened muscles and this was causing the headaches. There is a technical term for this which I cannot remember.

After visiting a Massage Therapist for a couple of very painful sports massages and tips on stretches that I can do prior to high intensity exercise - on the whole these have cleared right up.
  • betterharman
    betterharman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It feels really good to know that I am not alone with this situation.

I should probably continue with walking , maybe some day I might graduate to running :)
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from migranes too, so know how bad it can be.

Latelt i've noticed that i store alot of tension in my shoulders/ upper back and this causes massive headaches.
    You may want to try doing some stretches to loosen everything up if its the same for you.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I presume you haven't had a concussion etc recently?

A good few years ago now I fell off the back of a motorbike at around 60-70mph (motorbike was near vertical, I should point out :) - messed up a wheelie) with a helmet that wasn't quite a perfect fit and rolled on my head and shoulders.

Nasty concussion and for about a year afterwards, any serious exercise saw me get a headache - tapering off over that year.
  • betterharman
    betterharman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I presume you haven't had a concussion etc recently?

A good few years ago now I fell off the back of a motorbike at around 60-70mph (motorbike was near vertical, I should point out :) - messed up a wheelie) with a helmet that wasn't quite a perfect fit and rolled on my head and shoulders.

Nasty concussion and for about a year afterwards, any serious exercise saw me get a headache - tapering off over that year.

No. Nothing like that recently. I have been having these headaches since many years.
    Hopefully it gets better with healthy food, supplements and whatever small exercise I can integrate.....
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    For me, migraines almost ALWAYS come about when I'm carrying some tension in my back/shoulders. This can either be from stress, or from strenuous work (long runs used to ALWAYS cause a migraine)

The advice to hydrate more is good. Also see if you can work some massage/meditation into your schedule. Try to relax as much as possible.

It's possible that you're getting too worked UP about your workOUT. Try ditching the workout programs and just doing some ad-hoc strengthening exercises, taking it slow and working up in both duration and weight. If the headaches start at 10 minutes... stop at 9 minutes!!! Maybe do them a couple of times a day. Then, after a few weeks of that, see if you can increase your time or intensity or both.

I'm not an expert, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Do you have migraines without exercise or are they usually associated with pushing yourself?

What's your breathing like? Keep it slow and steady - you may find you are actually suffering from CO2 retention which would cause all mother of headaches which can last for several hours.

Look into ways to improve your breathing pattern. It's likely that combined with tension in your shoulders causing the issue.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Do you have migraines without exercise or are they usually associated with pushing yourself?

What's your breathing like? Keep it slow and steady - you may find you are actually suffering from CO2 retention which would cause all mother of headaches which can last for several hours.

Look into ways to improve your breathing pattern. It's likely that combined with tension in your shoulders causing the issue.

I love it that a diver posted this.

I've tried to tell people for years about CO2 retention...and it does cause the mother of all headaches. When I first learned to dive I had breath-hold problems due to my poor buoyancy control - boy you only need one of those CO2 headaches to convince yourself to modulate breathing.

Breath control is also related to anxiety - and people with anxiety problems can find relief from breathing control..I also believe anxiety to be caused by a (lesser) CO2 retention problem. The body panics a bit and it causes breath holding, then the anxiety kicks in which causes hyperventilation. Both are easily controlled.