another dreaded inches vs. lbs post

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I know. I know. So it with this hyper focus on weight. You/your friend/*insert person here* looks skinner at 130 than she did at 100. I get that.

I eat disgustingly clean. My cardio is hiit. My weight lifting... well the men at the gym stop to watch me lift heavy. And the scale increases.

That might sound okay, until you realize the scale is increasing to 253 lbs, not 153, on a 5 ft frame.

Let's be real. I'm not going to be fit, no matter how many inches I lose, unless the weight--the pounds of fat--come off.

So how do you stay motivated because I'm almost 1-1.5 years in and really frustrated. 90% of my initial weight loss was from that first 3-6 month stretch. I've been on like a year plateau.

Raaawr. [/b*tching]

This is your initial post. There's no mention of taking time off due to injuries. There's no mention of having tried different methods. You can't blame people for reading what you wrote and responding to it without knowing what you didn't write.

I think you're attributing thoughts to people that were not intended. No one said "stop stuffing your face, fatty" or anything similar. I doubt that's what anyone was thinking. No one implied that you're an idiot either. Those thoughts are yours. Don't blame them on the people responding to your thread and trying to help you.

I'm glad you sought a second opinion. I disagree with the advice you were given, but there's certainly no harm in trying it. I hope it works for you.

This. So much this.

We are not mind readers. We have no idea if you had injuries or what not.

No one here said stop stuffing your face fatty. NO ONE SAID THAT. People have suggested you are eating more than you think you are, because if you are not losing you are not in a deficit. It is that simple. That is NOT me saying to stop stuffing your face. Do you actually weigh your food with a food scale? I know this was eye opening to me, what I thought I was eating vs what I was actually eating was a lot different. Even if it's just 100 calories, those 100 calories can add up quickly.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I won't offer any advice on weight loss, you are paying people for that.
    Motivation? Sure I can answer what keeps me motivated.

I have been slim and strong and tall most of my life. It defined part of my personality and to be perfectly brutally honest, I was always quite proud of how I looked. When I lost it, it took me a few years to get that drive back.
    I am vain. Secretly very vain. It is a character flaw, I want to look good, I want to be stronger, I don't want any man to think he can take advantage of me. I enjoy being able to out perform others.
    My vanity, pride, and concept that I can't fail is what motivates me. I refuse to let some calories and urges for sweets get in my way to being that strong woman I once was just a few short years ago.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I can never get enough of these types of posts.

"I'm doing everything right, and I'm not losing weight."

The definition of "everything right" is that it's helping you achieve your goals (whatever they may be), so no, you're not.

And where do people get the whole "I'm not losing weight, so I need to eat more" ridiculousness?

Is it something Dr. Oz (or another notable expert) likes to trot out? Because not only is it woefully incorrect, but it's not even an understandable conclusion for even the most incredibly naive.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I can never get enough of these types of posts.

"I'm doing everything right, and I'm not losing weight."

The definition of "everything right" is that it's helping you achieve your goals (whatever they may be), so no, you're not.

And where do people get the whole "I'm not losing weight, so I need to eat more" ridiculousness?

Is it something Dr. Oz (or another notable expert) likes to trot out? Because not only is it woefully incorrect, but it's not even an understandable conclusion for even the most incredibly naive.

Michael_Jackson_popcorn.gif

This should be good.
  • xerothermic
    Options
    Do you actually weigh your food with a food scale? I know this was eye opening to me, what I thought I was eating vs what I was actually eating was a lot different. Even if it's just 100 calories, those 100 calories can add up quickly.

I do. I weigh every meal, I log every bite. I was at a strict 1250 calorie diet per the last nutritionist and first trainer. Everything was prepped and weighed on Sundays, no thought the rest of the week. Every speck of everything calculated. Second trainer assumed the diet was fine and we tried different routines. This nutritionist took a look at what I've been doing re: the routines via the HR monitor and the diary, determined that some days I'm burning a ton and thinks we need to try upping my caloric intake to around 1700 to see some movement. I'm eating at a huge deficit. I'm taking days off to let my body recoup. I'm switching things up. I'm doing everything everyone on here so sweetly advised. Everything is changing--inches, overall look, even my positive outlook on the process; the only thing not moving is the scale.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Wow.
    Eating-popcorn-gif.gif
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Everything is changing--inches, overall look, even my positive outlook on the process; the only thing not moving is the scale.
    I might recommend staying away from the scale for a while....if you are SEEING results, and feeling them too, then try ( I say try because I know its hard) to not worry about what the scale says. Live your life for the body you want, not for a number on a scale

• Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you are eating clean and working hard, you will lose fat. Open up your diary. :) It is 80% diet, something must not be right.
    Options
    Edwardshar wrote: »
    If you are eating clean and working hard, you will lose fat. Open up your diary. :) It is 80% diet, something must not be right.
    Would love to see the diary too. Don't think it's going to happen though.

• xerothermic
    Options
    MscGray wrote: »
    I might recommend staying away from the scale for a while....if you are SEEING results, and feeling them too, then try ( I say try because I know its hard) to not worry about what the scale says. Live your life for the body you want, not for a number on a scale

I am seeing results, even my coworkers asked what I've been doing the last week (I've been on a stay-cation this last week). It's just so frustrating.

BinkyBonk wrote: »

I'm not sure why you need to see my diary? I don't log via this site, I just re-starting logging on here. I kept a handwritten journal instead that simply followed the diet plan I was given. I don't understand this refusal to accept that my diet is taken care of in the sense that I don't need the Internet telling me what to eat--I already pay someone (now two people) to do that.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    MscGray wrote: »

I am seeing results, even my coworkers asked what I've been doing the last week (I've been on a stay-cation this last week). It's just so frustrating.

BinkyBonk wrote: »

I'm not sure why you need to see my diary? I don't log via this site, I just re-starting logging on here. I kept a handwritten journal instead that simply followed the diet plan I was given. I don't understand this refusal to accept that my diet is taken care of in the sense that I don't need the Internet telling me what to eat--I already pay someone (now two people) to do that.

Then how is the internet suppose to help you lose weight when we have no idea what you are eating?

Options
    I don't understand this refusal to accept help when that's what you've requested. I guess I've misunderstood your original post....I now see that you just wanted to vent, which is totally cool. We all need to vent sometimes. Best of luck to you.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    People assume that I haven't tried mixing things up. I have tried multiple trainers (I am giving my third one a shot later this week). We've toyed with my diet. I have tried more cardio, less cardio, more calories, less calories. I've had blood test after test ran at the doctor.

As I had said in my initial post, there were some times of not committing to the plan due to two injuries (not workout related--apparently your bike cannot go through a tree) so a year isn't necessarily a year.

I have dropped two pant sizes (a total of 5 overall) and all of my muscles have significantly grown/inches lost, just not a lot of weight loss. Perhaps I was wrong in calling this a plateau, but that's what it feels like. It's hard to distance yourself from the idea that weight loss is the only progress that matters.

It's not doing the same thing over and over, as so many assume. I recently started running ~6 miles every other day. I weight train because I simply love it. That being said, that's not all I do-- I swim, I bike, I hike, I kayak, I teach martial arts--I keep my body guessing what today holds. There's a lot I do. I'm not trying the same thing over and over as so many people seem to think.

I'm not being stubborn and ignoring people's advice--it's the way the advice was given. It's as though people read my weight number and assumed that the advice they would offer would change everything. Just because I'm 250, not 150, does not mean I overeat or am utterly inept. Yes, I immediately put my wall up and was standoff-ish, but I basically got told to stop stuffing your face fatty right off the start.

I want to thank the few, the very few, who actually listened and didn't assume I was some idiot slinging weights around and being stand off-ish. Seriously. Thank you. These boards need more of you--people who listen to what you're actually saying and don't assume they know best.

I don't need fixing, I'm doing that already, I just wanted to know how you keep reminding yourself that even if the progress is slow, and maybe not where you want it, that it's worth it. I know it's worth it, but sometimes I just need that reminder. It's hard to stay the course when you're not seeing the miraculous progress you expect and others lose so differently. Sometimes that reminder is just nice to hear. Not that you're doing everything so wrong, that everyone loses differently and progress is progress. Thank you to those who reminded me of that.

Oh and to the guy who was certain I was just (essentially) pigging out and over eating, turns out, I'm likely not eating enough calories to support the amount I'm working out, according to a second dietitian (I did take that advice as well and consulted a second one today).

So, then you are losing weight?

• radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So you think I was essentially saying stop stuffing your face fatty? I know I should really just walk away from this but I can't. Honestly, that was offensive. I answered because I have also experienced very frustrating plateaus and I felt for you. I answered with things that helped me. I answered with things other decent people had offered me as tips and advice - I felt I could keep that cycle of support and encouragement going. Even if you found my post useless and annoyng, I think it would take a very skewed perception to infer any implied insult or ill intent. And as for your weight, I barely even registered that, I just focused on the fact that you we're stuck and reaching out. I was reading it neither as a pedant nor with a shred of negativity towards you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this thread makes absolutely no sense now...
  • xerothermic
    Options
    radario wrote: »
    So you think I was essentially saying stop stuffing your face fatty? I know I should really just walk away from this but I can't. Honestly, that was offensive. I answered because I have also experienced very frustrating plateaus and I felt for you. I answered with things that helped me. I answered with things other decent people had offered me as tips and advice - I felt I could keep that cycle of support and encouragement going. Even if you found my post useless and annoyng, I think it would take a very skewed perception to infer any implied insult or ill intent. And as for your weight, I barely even registered that, I just focused on the fact that you we're stuck and reaching out. I was reading it neither as a pedant nor with a shred of negativity towards you.

Actually, radario, the thank you was towards you and a few others. You were the first one who took the diplomatic approach and offered whole advice, not just "you're eating too much" period approach some other persons took. And I do apologize that you construed that as being towards you.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    this thread makes absolutely no sense now...

welcome to MFP.
  • radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ok, that does feel better, thank you! I guess since your reply directly after mine was less than impressed I assumed I was on the hit list. I guess the internet is the ideal place to have intentions misunderstood, messages misconstrued, false assumptions made etc. I choose to give people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe some of the blunter people are smartasses but maybe some of them just have a style of delivery that is, let's say incompatible with you!
    I'm an Internet forum novice and suspect I may choose to keep it that way!!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight, you aren't eating at a deficit. That's just math and physics.

<<The inches are shifting, but can you imagine how shehulky I would be if the damn scale stays the same and I continue to lose body fat?!>>
    There is a limit to how much muscle you can gain unless you get on the juice. :wink:

Plus, at some point, you will master the routine you have now and it will only be good enough to maintain. If you stop adding on weights/reps, if you don't add on time, if you keep the exact same exercises, at some point you will not gain any more muscle. (And, once you reach your strength goals, you should do that.)

Also, there are many ways to strength train that make you stronger without putting on bulk at all.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    "
    I know. I know. So it with this hyper focus on weight. You/your friend/*insert person here* looks skinner at 130 than she did at 100. I get that.

I eat disgustingly clean. My cardio is hiit. My weight lifting... well the men at the gym stop to watch me lift heavy. And the scale increases.

That might sound okay, until you realize the scale is increasing to 253 lbs, not 153, on a 5 ft frame.

Let's be real. I'm not going to be fit, no matter how many inches I lose, unless the weight--the pounds of fat--come off.

So how do you stay motivated because I'm almost 1-1.5 years in and really frustrated. 90% of my initial weight loss was from that first 3-6 month stretch. I've been on like a year plateau.

Raaawr. [/b*tching]

This is your initial post. There's no mention of taking time off due to injuries. There's no mention of having tried different methods. You can't blame people for reading what you wrote and responding to it without knowing what you didn't write.

I think you're attributing thoughts to people that were not intended. No one said "stop stuffing your face, fatty" or anything similar. I doubt that's what anyone was thinking. No one implied that you're an idiot either. Those thoughts are yours. Don't blame them on the people responding to your thread and trying to help you.

I'm glad you sought a second opinion. I disagree with the advice you were given, but there's certainly no harm in trying it. I hope it works for you.

This. So much this.

We are not mind readers. We have no idea if you had injuries or what not.

No one here said stop stuffing your face fatty. NO ONE SAID THAT. People have suggested you are eating more than you think you are, because if you are not losing you are not in a deficit. It is that simple. That is NOT me saying to stop stuffing your face. Do you actually weigh your food with a food scale? I know this was eye opening to me, what I thought I was eating vs what I was actually eating was a lot different. Even if it's just 100 calories, those 100 calories can add up quickly.

The problem seemed to be that OP said "I eat clean" and a bunch of people were like "eating 'clean' doesn't mean you are in a deficit" and OP was like "oh no you di-int just say I am eating too much"

Basically OP thought saying she eats "clean" expressed to all of us that she is eating at a deficit, when it actually doesn't mean that to anyone else.