How important is it to have friends on here?

Options
13»

Replies

• sunnbunniez
    sunnbunniez Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I too would like to have more friends and other people are entertaining along with sharing ideas about what works for them. So feel free to friend me :smiley:
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like having lots of MFP friends because I find some are very consistent with logging in and checking in and others are not. Having friends has not necessarily aided in my success thus far, but posting in the forums and joining specific groups have. Knowing there are people out there struggling with the exact same things as me has made me feel less like an outcast IRL and on MFP. Talking about my issues, even minor ones, has helped because there's an audience that understands because they've been there. It's in the groups where I first started making friends. Group friends can sometimes be more meaningful for me because I then have multiple ways to check in with them.

Honestly, I don't think many people find friend requests annoying. When I friend request someone, I try to include a little line about where I saw them post or if we seem to have something in common (goal, inspiration, habits) and that helps to break the ice.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I think that staying connected with a lot of people on here is very motivating. On my FL there are several people who have similar weights/heights as me. As I see them succeed, I feel like success is more attainable. I'm also less inclined to slack, knowing that they will keep on towards their goals whether I slack or not. Also also also, I feel lazy when I'm seeing EVERYONE doing cardio on my feed. Makes me want to move.

To get friends, I post in a lot of threads with people of like interests and statistics. I post on a lot of vegetarian threads because I'm a vegetarian. I post on a lot of "5'10+ Girls Goal Weight?"-style threads because then I will be able to find similarly tall people, because it's really a downer to see people post, "UGH this morning I weighed 130! Fatty fat fat" when 130 is underweight on the BMI scale for my height.
  • madeleineld
    madeleineld Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    To repeat what everyone here has said, it depends on what you want, to each his own, etc. But here are some ways friends on this site have helped me:
    - I do not have many "real life" friends who I'm comfortable discussing weight loss with. It is really nice to have people who I can talk to about what I'm going through.
    - This is a personal thing, but I really didn't want to become one of those people who talks about weight loss all the time. It's good for me to have people who I can talk talk talk to about calories, exercise, meal logging, and I know they don't find it boring and understand why I'm thinking about it a lot.
    - Similarly, I don't want to post the details of my weight or weight loss on Facebook or whatever, feels kind of "braggy"--really good to have a place where you can share your accomplishments without feeling that you're being obnoxious. Same goes for setbacks. I know my MFP friends understand when I whine about a couple of weeks without scale movement.
    - I was able to find people with very similar start weights and goals to me, at various points in their journey. I can now look at posts from someone who started out at my start weight and has lost 50 pounds, see how she's doing, look at her food diaries for tips. One of my biggest problems has been feeling frustrated and giving up easily, but when I can see "this person was in the same exact position as me and DID IT," it makes it easier to believe I can do it too.
    - I have found really great friends whose progress I'm genuinely interested in, and that keeps me logging into the site every day. I'm at a 30 day streak now, which is (sadly) at least twice as long as I've ever lasted into a "lifestyle change" before. The social networking aspect makes me more likely to actually keep doing this, because I WANT to.
    - I benefit a lot from motivation. A few weeks ago, I weighed in and saw a good loss, posted it, and then went to the treadmill. Really amazing to be working out and seeing popup notifications from my friends congratulating me on the loss as I continued working. Warm fuzzies all around.
    - Having friends, seeing people around the same weight as me, going through the same stuff, makes me feel more...normal. Not that I don't need to work anymore, but it makes me go a little easier on myself when I'm discouraged.