Tracking failure right here.

Options
I have had this explained to me, Idk how many times. Just trying to see if im calculating right.
HI all. You probably seen me on here before. Im still totally confused about calorie tracking. I am 23 years old 4'11 and 184lbs. I workout 8-45 mins a day for 6 days and 1 rest day, im also a stay at home Mom/Wife. I understand that 3500 cals eaten over gains a lb or 3500 calories under mean you lose a lb. I calculated the numbers of calories I have consumed in 6 day and the number I have burned just working out. Heres my numbers

Calories consumed for 6 days

11185 cals consumed in 6 days.

Calories burned by exercising 6 days
1403 calories burned in 6 days from exercise.

My BMR is supposebly 2000. So wouldnt I take the 2000x7+1403 which equals 15403 to see how many cals I lost in 6 days. Then 15403/3500 because 3500 equals a lb and get 4.4.............and a whole bunch of numbers. Meaning I lost 4 lbs this week. Need calculations Lost yet again.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Your estimated BMR is: 1,495 calories/day*
    *BMR based on the Mifflin - St. Jeor equations. Please remember that even the best BMR calculators provide only a best guess and should be used as a guide only.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    First, at this height your daily expenditure is likely less than 2000 unless you have a quite active job. That out of the way. I will make it more clear cut for you:

Weight lost in X days= (total exercise+(RMR*X)-calories consumed in that period)/3500

So from your example:
    Weight lost in 6 days = (1403 + (2000*6)-11185)/3500
    = 2218 /3500
    = 0.6 pound lost in 6 days

• kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Whats expedenture
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why are you posting this in multiple forums?
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Whats expedenture

Daily expenditure is the number of calories you burn during a day

• kristinhull1
    Options
    So I burn 2000 cals a day doing nothing. How many calories should I eat if I have a rest day and just lay on the couch and still lose weight. Todays my rest day. I dont wanna eat more then what I lose. I still wanna burn the cals I eat while im resting.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    So I burn 2000 cals a day doing nothing. How many calories should I eat if I have a rest day and just lay on the couch and still lose weight. Todays my rest day. I dont wanna eat more then what I lose. I still wanna burn the cals I eat while im resting.

It's very likely you burn much less than 2000 doing nothing. What you are asking about is called maintenance, where you burn the same amount of calories as you eat. So as per your example if you eat 2000 calories you will not be eating more than you burn, and you will be burning all the calories you eat.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Why are you posting this in multiple forums?

This
  • NetflixAndChocolate
    Options
    If you are losing shut up and enjoy it. Your maths is WAYY OFF but if its working stick at it :)
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    I gained 1lb the first week. So im guessing im not doing something right
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    To get started, start simple.
    Put your stats into MFP as "sedentary" and with a weight loss goal of 1 lb/week. MFP will give you a daily calorie allotment.
    When you exercise, add that into your diary. This will give you "extra" calories you can eat. But MFP usually estimates calories burned by exercise as high, so only eat back about half of what it says (ie: if it says your 45 minute exercise burned 200 calories, don't eat back more than 100 of that).
    Weigh and measure everything and log it.
    Weigh yourself once a week. Since weight loss is an "average" and not linear, just follow the plan for a month. If you accurately logged and measured, you'll find you lost weight. Since every body is different, you may find you lost a bit more or less than expected. That's okay. You'll be losing and that's what matters.

Give it a try. Be patient. It'll happen.

Over time, the other numbers (BMR, TDEE, etc) will start to make sense and you can adjust your goals then. For now, keep it simple and stress-free.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What Paytra said, use MFP for what its intended and there to help you do.

The math as I had it was Calories consumed-(Daily BMR x7 Plus cas burned from exercise)

Then divide the result by 3500. As you can see what you burn is heavily dependant upon your daily BMR as exercise plays a more limited role in direct calorie burn unless you do a lot.

Its not an exact science, your body will fluctuate and weight loss is not linear, but carry on with whatever you are doing and maintain the calorie deficit and you should lose weight eventually.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I always wonder why anyone doesn't just
    put the correct info into MFP, then log all your food and exercise every day. Bam! It is so simple even I could do it (teasing there because I tried a million times before this time to lose weight. I am also a shorty so I understand how hard it is)

In the beginning when I was 50 lbs heavier, I put in 2 lbs a week. I exercised, logged and ate those calories, and measured and logged EVERY BITE. I lost 2lbs a week for about 20 lbs. Then I was getting too 'small' to have that much of a deficit, so I changed to 1 lb.

When I lost another 10 or so lbs, I changed it to .05 a week.

The key to all of this was I was given let's say 1270 calories a day to eat to lose 1/2 lb a week. If I wanted to eat more (and I definitely did) I exercised to add 200-400 calories a day.

Why not just try the MFP way for a month and see if you lose? So hard to be frustrated