Women who eat 2000 calories a day...

Options
2»

Replies

• she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    Options
    I was sticking to a set number between 1490 and 1750 even if I burned way more. I decided that I needed to focus on netting 1200 because I wasn't eating enough. I now eat between 1390 and 2300 depending on what my Fitbit gives me but even on rest days I can't make myself sit still for very long so I tend to eat at least 2k daily in general. I've only just started this test and fully expected a gain but instead the scale dropped so win-win for me. I love to eat.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    What @WinoGelato says, totally, 100%. I lived by that rule -- eat the most food you can and still lose weight.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I mentioned this in another thread earlier today but I think I actually eat more now than I did before I lost the weight - because I am so much more active than I used to be. I have a desk job, so by MFP classifications I should be set at sedentary, but I walk and do circuit training, averaging 15K steps/day and that's how I've been able to get my TDEE up. I tell people on here all the time that I'm no special snowflake and I'm not killing myself running marathons or lifting extremely heavy weights. I just tried to increase my activity level a little bit at a time, and my calorie allowance and appetite has thanked me....
  • BellaNor
    BellaNor Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Love this thread. Thanks OP! I average between 1900 and 2000 calories a day. I am 5'4 and a half and weight 148. Starting weight was 156 lbs. I would like to get down to anywhere between 124 and 130 but am in no hurry. I just set my minimum to 1800 because I am still nursing my toddler. I am happy to be losing weight eating as much as I am. Here is a post I made about my TDEE. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10380459/help-me-reverse-engineer-my-tdee

I was surprised it was so high, but I am not complaining :smiley: . As @WinoGelato said, if I can lose weight while eating normally, more power to me :wink:
  • kgracesch
    kgracesch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! I find so many women eat way too little calories and it makes me question myself sometimes :( . I eat between 1700-2200 a day depending on activity level. If I am working out consistently (5-6 days a week including lifting and cardio) then I am around 2,000-2,200. I maintain on over 2000 and lose if I eat under 2000. I am 5'10 and 146 lbs with a lot of muscle. If I eat under 1700 I am starving, moody and tired. It is so important to listen to your body day to day and eat. When I went to a nutritionist he said I had to eat between 1700-2000 for my "perfect" body fat percentage that I was going for, but not his recommendation per say. Healthy fat, complex carbs, lean protein, fruit, veggies, oils - eat up ladies! <3<3<3 Your body loves you, give it beautiful, filling, energizing and nurturing fuel and move it around a lot.
  • kgracesch
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I should add that when I do want to slim down a little I set myself for .5lbs (half a pound) a week and stick to 2000 calories. So it is slow but easily maintained, gradual and a gentle way for the body to shed a little extra cushion when summer comes. I used to be so hard on myself and push my body when I was younger. It took a lot of mental and emotional care to come to a place where health and compassion is more important than appearance and fast weight loss.
  • kgracesch
    Options
    this is the most inspiring thread I have found on MFP! Hooray for 2000 calorie eating and health.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,692 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I eat about 1800-2000 most days, because I exercise a lot. MFP gives me 1200, with the goal of losing 1 lb. a week. I walk 2-3 miles a day and run 30-40 mpw so 1200 would kill me. I eat back all my exercise calories and am still losing weight. I'm currently 5'6", 130 lbs, age 60.
  • ChampagneBurst
    ChampagneBurst Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think that 2000 calories is probably considered normal for women on the taller side on the right side of 25.

I can't add to evidence tho as I'm on 1000- 1200 as I'm crazy short and recovering from an injury and on the wrong side of 25.

This is ok for my body. It feels good. I am not deprived or starving or lacking energy.

But regardless of what is right for other people and what this app tells you - listen to what your body needs. The fact that you are able to state that you are recovering from an eating disorder means that you have developed good judgement. Listen to it. No one on here has going to have your body or has a better idea of what is right for it than you.

I can't tell if this post is astonished shock at suspected widespread eating disorders or is genuinely concerned that she should be eating less but is still hungry.

If it's the former don't bother reading on.

You are recovering from an eating disorder. That is huge. You are courageous and amazing. You've already done the best thing for your wellbeing possible by getting diagnosed and treated successfully.

You already know when to push yourself, when to not be too hard on yourself and how to self motivate. Use that. Trust it.

I can imagine it must be hugely overwhelming to try and figure out what is "normal" food wise right now. But the thing is there isn't such a thing and it's always going to be what is normal for you. No one else's experience in their body is going to give you a map to yours.

If you are hungry on your recommended calories. Then don't follow the recommendations so rigorously right now. They just express statistical averages applied to nutrition advice. Experiment with adding another 200. Then by adding more protein - it helps you feel fuller longer. Find the level where you aren't starving hungry and are satiated and are also losing weight (if that is your goal - if not ignore!)

Drink water. Often things happen to confuse the brain about whether it is hungry or thirsty and I've heard somewhere that it's good to drink a glass of water before each meal to make sure the full signals get through after.

Then in two months. Reduce the calories above 2000 by fifty a day. In another month or when it feels comfortable and you aren't hungry reduce it slightly again.

It's the little changes you make over time that make the difference as you already know. Not if you kick all the goals straight up and nothing is going to work for you if you feel deprived.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I think that 2000 calories is probably considered normal for women on the taller side on the right side of 25.

I can't add to evidence tho as I'm on 1000- 1200 as I'm crazy short and recovering from an injury and on the wrong side of 25.

This is ok for my body. It feels good. I am not deprived or starving or lacking energy.

But regardless of what is right for other people and what this app tells you - listen to what your body needs. The fact that you are able to state that you are recovering from an eating disorder means that you have developed good judgement. Listen to it. No one on here has going to have your body or has a better idea of what is right for it than you.

I can't tell if this post is astonished shock at suspected widespread eating disorders or is genuinely concerned that she should be eating less but is still hungry.

If it's the former don't bother reading on.

You are recovering from an eating disorder. That is huge. You are courageous and amazing. You've already done the best thing for your wellbeing possible by getting diagnosed and treated successfully.

You already know when to push yourself, when to not be too hard on yourself and how to self motivate. Use that. Trust it.

I can imagine it must be hugely overwhelming to try and figure out what is "normal" food wise right now. But the thing is there isn't such a thing and it's always going to be what is normal for you. No one else's experience in their body is going to give you a map to yours.

If you are hungry on your recommended calories. Then don't follow the recommendations so rigorously right now. They just express statistical averages applied to nutrition advice. Experiment with adding another 200. Then by adding more protein - it helps you feel fuller longer. Find the level where you aren't starving hungry and are satiated and are also losing weight (if that is your goal - if not ignore!)

Drink water. Often things happen to confuse the brain about whether it is hungry or thirsty and I've heard somewhere that it's good to drink a glass of water before each meal to make sure the full signals get through after.

Then in two months. Reduce the calories above 2000 by fifty a day. In another month or when it feels comfortable and you aren't hungry reduce it slightly again.

It's the little changes you make over time that make the difference as you already know. Not if you kick all the goals straight up and nothing is going to work for you if you feel deprived.

OP posted that two years ago... regardless, I didn't get that she was struggling with her mindset about her eating disorder or what to do with her calories. She was looking for other women who eat a good amount of calories and still meet their weight, health and fitness goals - the responses have been very positive and encouraging toward people who have a misconception that certain people have to eat low calories in order to be successful. Even your statements that 2000 is only for taller women under 25 seems to perpetuate that misunderstanding, as I myself am petite (5'2) and over 40 and eat >2000 cals to maintain.

Good luck with your injury recovery.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Thread is really old. However I think it should be stated that even short people can eat 2000 cals without gaining if their activity level calls for it.

Example: 4'10 eats 2000 (not me)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1032620/410-and-eats-2000-calories-a-day-eeegads-pics/p1

I myself lose weight on 2000 cals a day. I'm 5'4.5" and will be 27 next month. Currently working on my final ten lbs with an avg of 2150 cals a day for a slow sustainable loss (aiming to get back to 122 lbs).