Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight loss, a constant battle for me.

Hi everyone.
Hope all are well, I am anxious to get started and learn much from all of you on your success.
My major problem is eating after supper, before I go to bed. I'm fine all day at work but at night is when I can really pack it on. Help Me!

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Weigh everything and log it. You may find that by being "fine" all day that you're under eating, which is causing you to be hungry and then eat so much after dinner.
    Eating after dinner, if your daily calorie allotment allows it, isn't a bad thing. The time you eat food doesn't matter.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Am afraid you have to start wanting to help yourself.

MFP os based on the idea that if you wnat to lose weight then you need to burn more than you consume. To do that it helps you work out the given calories you should consume for a given weight loss per week. Its essential you leanr to log your food for an accurate record so you maintain that calorie deficit over time. Learn how to log so you know what you are consuming and then learn how to exercise portion control so you can ensure you eat to your calorie target.

Learning how diets and MFP work should be your target and you cna make good progress by reasing the forums and the stickys.

In answer to your OP then I have two points:

1. Maybe you could look into eating better during the day to ensure you are fuller and not hungry late on.
    2. Set some calories aside so you can have a snack late on. As long as its in your calorie target it matters less when you eat it.

You are not clear on what it is you are eating and by how much you are consuming.
    Logging your food will help you understand that. Sharing your diary with friends will give them the information to form an honest opinion.
  • I have a similar issue - night eating. Do you have a particular trigger that's happening at night? If you can identify what exactly is causing you to eat maybe you can remove or avoid it.

I'm fine until after 11pm. When I get tired and sleepy I start to lose control, so I try to go to bed on time and not stay up. When I do stay up and feel an overwhelming urge, I employ a timer. If I absolutely must give in, I will indulge 100 - 200 calories, then set a 20 minute timer. Do something distracting, anything. When the timer goes off, if I'm still overwhelmed, I allow 100 calories. (like a fun-sized candy bar) Set the timer again. I'll do this do this up to 4 times, so I've indulged around 400 calories. I'm a binge eater and I use this technique to stop binges. It doesn't always work, but it works often enough. Usually I lose the craving before I get to 400 calories, and I don't usually eat all my calories in a day, so the damage isn't all that bad.