Crohns disease is a *****

Options
Unfortunately, my crohns symptoms have gotten quite severe for the last few weeks. This is causing me to have chronic pain and ZERO appetite. I have been basically forcing myself to eat, but even then its still not enough because I start to feel nauseous when I eat past a certain point. Now I have been getting dizzy spells whenever I get up, which is probably due to my low blood counts & lack of food.

I feel like logging my food is a waste of time now that I am dropping weight way too fast and I can't help it. I am going to go on remicade in 4-10 weeks which feels like an eternity. I'm terrified of the cancer risk associated with the drug, even though its small chance, health is something I have taken for granted and now every little chance is becoming a grim reality. I would love those of you with an IBD related problem to chime in.

Replies

• runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I don't suffer, so I can't compare. But I do find that my food log is far more than just tracking calories. I find that if I haven't been feeling well, I can often see it in my food. For example - I woke up with a head ache this morning and knew it was the ice cream I had last night. It's only with regular tracking that I get an understanding of which foods agree with me and which don't.

I also track my work outs and how I felt during them - at least if i felt great or c£$P I'll note it down.

Hope you're feeling a bit better have a bit more control on it soon.
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Take care and be well. Does using meal supplements like Ensure work for you? I know they aren't very appetizing, but they would get you nutrients that your body desperately needs. Sending positive prayers your way.
  • kristyb1982
    kristyb1982 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ruckus, I don't have Crohns, but I have celiac. It took several months, lots of tests, pain, and procedures to get diagnosed. I sincerely hope you get some relief with your new medication. It's incredibly scary to have any sort of risk of cancer added to your life. I'm sure you've done all of this, but it's a risk/benefit thing. You just have to hope and pray that it will give you the relief from the symptoms that you need without giving any long term complications. You really don't have to be religious about logging your food right now. Take a break. Just be sure to start back up when you are feeling better! Don't forget your friends on here are a great source of support! The people I've met on here have been wonderful. I really hope you feel better.
  • lorieric5037
    Options
    I have severe psoriasis and take Humira shots for it - it's the only med that works for me. I believe Humira is also used for Crohn's? If the disease is so severe, sometimes it's necessary to take "drastic" steps. You just have to weigh the benefits of the med versus the disease that's hurting you. Don't give up!:flowerforyou:
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I had Ulcerative Colitis - fortunatley I got ileostomised almost straight away so I only had a few months of dealing with that crap (literally!). It has been a blessing in disguise, I think.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You have my greatest sympathy. I don't have Crohns, but I've had moderate/severe (depends on the day) IBS since I was 12.

Never had weight loss, more weight gain honestly, because if I go a few hours without eating I start getting gassy and crampy.

Then everything I do eat has me racing to the bathroom *urgently* (every time for 20 years now) within an hour.

It's a lose-lose.