Not Going To Reach Goal Weight...

So, over the past three weeks, it has become abundantly clear I'm not going to reach my goal weight any time soon. I've lost 11kg so far, with another 9kg to go to goal weight.

As a bit of background, I have knee problems, minor PCOS, an autoimmune disease, and a tonne of random medical problems associated with that. I've adjusted my calories up to 1300 base line, because any less than that leaves me feeling awful. I run 5km three times a week, use a stationary bike twice a week, and go for a walk on days where I do no other exercise, as well as daily yoga. I'm also studying for an MSc, which means I have very little time to spare for additional exercise, even if my body could handle it. I've been suffering from fatigue for over 6 months, and the doctors are no help. I'm back in the healthy BMI range, and my friends say I'm looking good, but I was really hoping to get back to my pre-illness weight.

I've decided that goal weight is no longer the goal, and I'm going to try switching to maintenance, but I'm feeling pretty down about it. I know I should be proud that I lost 11kg, and I'm certainly happy to be running again, but feeling forced to stop when I'm halfway there is pretty discouraging. Any advice on how to feel okay with this appreciated!

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I don't know how to make you feel okay but you have accomplished a lot. My goal is just to get to a healthy BMI and you have done that. Maybe try thinking of it as what you are choosing for now. You can always change your mind and try to lose more at another time.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Congratulations on your loss so far - you've done really well!

And there's nothing wrong with maintaining - at least for a while! Things may change in your schedule or you may get a boost of motivation to lose more later. But as for now, your health is paramount. Learning to live with your health issues and maintain your weight is going to be something you need to do for the rest of your life - so think of switching to maintenance as 'training' for that!

Everyone's weight loss journey is bound to be interrupted every now and again - I am planning to get pregnant in January, and I won't be at my goal weight by then. Maintaining and continuing to develop healthy habits is a lifelong skill. I have no problems getting to my goal weight in 2015/2016. Anything's better than gaining!
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    I just stumbled across this thread because I am going to shift to maintenance early too. I'm 12 lbs away from my goal weight. It just feels right for me at this weight. I think you're doing the right thing. Your health comes first. Good job on the weight loss too!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    I think you might need to teach yourself a lot more about nutrition and calorie expenditure. I don't know how tall you are, but you might not be eating enough to reach a higher level of fitness.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    There is nothing wrong with taking a break from losing weight, no matter what the reason is. If you're healthy, and continuing to do some exercise, you are still well ahead of the game. Don't be discouraged. Give yourself some time and just maintain.