Losing weight and doing damage?

Options
Stats: Age 35
Weight 186lbs
Height 5ft 6

I eat 1400 calories a day and lose anywhere from 1lb to 2lb per week.
My question is: I've been very successful by having just a calorie deficit but I have been told that I'm damaging my body by losing muscle mass (and I'm eating too few calories?) I know you can't build muscle in a deficit so is it OK to continue as I am until I get to a healthier weight and then eat more and lift to rebuild muscle?

Replies

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    You should strength train while losing weight. It helps reduce muscle loss while losing. Also 1400 does sound somewhat low to me, as I eat 1500 and I'm 5'3.5" and 167lb, losing about 1-1.5lbs/week average.
  • CandiJ89
    Options
    Thanks for the response. 1400 is what MFP gives me for losing 1.5lb per week and lightly active (how I set it when started a good few lbs ago!) Maybe it's time to change it
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    You dont have that much to lose... I would drop it to 1lb/week and add in some weight training. Lifting weights has huge benefits both in weight loss and physical ability. You will quickly find just about everything is easier, from loading groceries to walking up the stairs.
  • shortly2Bthin
    Options
    I'm a 6'1" 46 y.o. male and I eat 1300 calories a day, up from 1000 calories a day. Some people can eat less than others and be just fine. We're all individuals and it depends on your body and level of activity. I'm very sedentary due to a disability and need to eat far less than the standard man, and my exercise is limited to walking, but I do exercise. The key is to observe your body. Are you fatigued? Is your stamina down? Are you getting depressed? Your body will give you signs if it is in distress. If you work in some simple exercises a few minutes a day then all the better.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'm a 6'1" 46 y.o. male and I eat 1300 calories a day, up from 1000 calories a day. Some people can eat less than others and be just fine. We're all individuals and it depends on your body and level of activity. I'm very sedentary due to a disability and need to eat far less than the standard man, and my exercise is limited to walking, but I do exercise. The key is to observe your body. Are you fatigued? Is your stamina down? Are you getting depressed? Your body will give you signs if it is in distress. If you work in some simple exercises a few minutes a day then all the better.

Losing muscle mass isn't necessarily something that'll make you feel like your body is in distress everyday. She may just hit her goal weight and really not like her shape, for example. Resistance training plus consuming enough protein should help preserve as much muscle as possible, meaning that most of the weight loss comes from fat instead of fat and muscle. And who wouldn't want this!

• jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Barney's right....strength train while you're losing.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you get enough protein that is the key. 1400 calories doesn't seem crazy low..But what i've learned being on here..is that by eating too few calories and over exercising.. you'll lose weight on the scale..but muscle mass as well..so when you try to maintain it will be difficult because you're metabolism will be slow because of muscle loss.

So, it is important to eat a lot of protein. Google and figure out how much you should be eating.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Recheck your goals on MFP--- maybe there is an error.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i overdid cardio for 3 months to lose weight.
    lost 40+ but cannot sustain exercise now.
    + wish i had listened to advice and started strength training BEFORE i weakened myself.
    + have now added strength/ core exercises and reduced cardio.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Start weight training, yesterday!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    CandiJ89 wrote: »
    Stats: Age 35
    Weight 186lbs
    Height 5ft 6

I eat 1400 calories a day and lose anywhere from 1lb to 2lb per week.
    My question is: I've been very successful by having just a calorie deficit but I have been told that I'm damaging my body by losing muscle mass (and I'm eating too few calories?) I know you can't build muscle in a deficit so is it OK to continue as I am until I get to a healthier weight and then eat more and lift to rebuild muscle?

1400 calories and losing 1-2 lbs. a week is not doing you damage. If you talk to any doctor, read any book about dieting, join any diet group, they will all tell you that. It's just this forum that has an exaggerated belief in shallow deficits sparing lean mass.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Strength training does not nec. mean lifting weights. (Although that is a great way to get results). I have been doing simple calisthenics for the past 10 months and have dropped from 174 to 140. I am 5'7 so at this weight I am finally starting to see those muscles I've worked so hard to tone. Also, I am loads stronger than I was last winter.
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It would be more efficient weight loss if you start strength training now. It is easier for you to maintain muscle mass now than to lose it and re-build it later, especially for a female
  • jakichan
    jakichan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was on a VLCD that was medically supervised. Even with strength training I lost a fair bit of lean mass. It's just the nature of the beast.
  • CandiJ89
    Options
    7aneena wrote: »
    It would be more efficient weight loss if you start strength training now. It is easier for you to maintain muscle mass now than to lose it and re-build it later, especially for a female

Thanks, that's what I was looking for