normalizing appetite

Options
hello, I was curious if anybody else had this same issue. I have always had an issue with not feeling full until I'm completely stuffed. I take concerta for my a.d.d., but I only take it 5 days a week, on work days. on days that I've taken it, I feel like my appetite is normal. I'm not constantly thinking about food, I can actually get things done, and I feel satisfied without completely gorging myself.

I'm trying to figure out some way to not constantly obsess over food and want to stuff my face on days that I don't take my concerta. I don't like the thought of using it as a crutch just to have a normal appetite. has anyone had similar experiences or been able to overcome something like this?

sorry for the complete lack of capitalization, my phone is weird.

Replies

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't know about Concerta, but maybe it works on the brain's appetite center like Qsymia and Belviq, the 2 latest drugs out there for weight loss. Not amphetamines, these 2 work in the brain somehow, and just make you feel satisfied with eating less. But then, one would probably have to take them for life. I have often wondered if hypnosis might help from constantly thinking about food when trying to lose weight.
    Wishing you health and success.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you have a disorder, and the meds help, take them! There's no shame in it.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You might have an "addiction" to certain foods or additives, like sugar, salt or artificial sweeteners. If your appetite is lower during the week, check out what you're eating, because you might still be eating what you "crave" but in smaller amounts, then on the weekends BOOM! Major craving attack! (think about it like you're wearing nicotine patches for the working week and then not on weekends)

It might be worth evaluating what it is exactly you crave and work on reducing that over time (or doing a juice cleanse or something) to break the habit.

• MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    @LeonCX
    I work in the healthcare field and I can tell you that Qsymia does not work in the brain. I contains phentermine, which is a stimulant and topiramate, which is typically used for prevention of migraines. I used to see a doctor in my area that specialized in weight loss and he prescribed these two medications before they became available as a combination drug. He also prescribed phendimetrizine, which is also another form of amphetamine but supposedly not as addictive
    Belviq on the other hand, does work in the brain, in the seratonin receptors. I deal with pharmaceutical reps on a daily basis and I have done much research with them because I have an eating disorder. The way I understand it, it works much like Chantix does for smokers (which worked very well for me).
    Today, I am picking up my free 15 day trial of Belviq. I will post my progress and any side effects.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @MrsGriffin67 - you are right about Qsymia, it is 2 drugs: Topiramate and Phentermine. The first is a migraine headache medicine and the second is an amphetamine. I tried the combination a year ago, as seperate medications, and it had no effect for me. Belviq is more related to Fenfluramine-type drugs. (remember Phen-fen?) The commercials say it "has not been studied" for possible effects on heart valves. I'm staying away from that one. :o
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are already experiencing what the drug companies are currently researching, that ADHD drugs may help control binge-eating disorders...

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/APA/39248

(Vyvanse and Concerta have been compared head-to-head in studies for ADHD, so I think it's fair to extrapolate that Concerta could have the same effects relative to binge-eating.)

• MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Phen-Fen was a stimulant drug. This one, as I mentioned, is more like the Chantix of diet drugs. By switching off the receptors in the brain. But, like any medications, including ones OTC, there are risks. I had no success with diet doctor's combo, I don't like the amphetamines. Those present a whole set of risks themselves, definitely including the ones that you mentioned.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are already experiencing what the drug companies are currently researching, that ADHD drugs may help control binge-eating disorders...

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/APA/39248

(Vyvanse and Concerta have been compared head-to-head in studies for ADHD, so I think it's fair to extrapolate that Concerta could have the same effects relative to binge-eating.)

That is really interesting! Thanks for sharing :smile: