Logging runs on MFP

Options
I'm curious how others do this. For example yesterday I ran 5.2 miles at 8:40 pace (45 min) and I logged it as a 47 minute run at 9 minute pace (since there's no 8:40 pace option to log) to log the correct distance rather than the correct time. I admit this is kind of obsessive but I'm curious if I'm the only one who logs running this way.

I also wonder why there's no 11 minute pace option, only 11.5? Any ideas?

Replies

• WildOkapi
    Options
    I tend to do sort of the opposite and log at the nearest lower pace with the correct time. I'm uncertain why the 11 minute pace isn't on the list. Unfortunately, many calorie counting sites I've found use the same set of paces for everything - so the 11 minute is missing on them as well. :neutral_face:
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    The MFP run options are a little weird. Personally I find they don't give accurate calorie counts for me anyways, so I created my own exercises just for me to log my workouts (Dave running, Dave running hard, Dave running easy). I log the time and then post the distance and pace in a comment on my feed. I'd suggest keeping a log separately somewhere else if you really want the full details on each workout. Athleticore is a nice site, or if you have a Garmin, you can use http://connect.garmin.com and automatically log your miles.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I log at the closest pace by 30 seconds. That is, if I run on average at 10:20 min miles, I'd log as 10:30. I don't know why some of the paces are missing, but I created my own entry for the 11 min mile pace and used my calories from Runkeeper (or you could do your HRM calories) back when I used to track exercise calories (I do TDEE now and just log one calorie anyway). I suppose if doing that you could use the precise pace, but I never have, not sure why not. Maybe because I really use Runkeeper to compare workouts and log on MFP more casually.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyrun and it syncs up automatically

29509743.png
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    I use mapmyrun and it syncs up automatically

29509743.png

I use MapMyRun also but find that it's calorie burn estimates are almost 100 calories per hour higher for me than MFP, which is already probably high, so I don't sync them.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I log it this way on days when I run without my HRM. Otherwise I use the results from my HRM.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Do you have or use a heart rate monitor? It's a good investment, for stuff like this ;) Comes in handy....I got a cheapy one from ALDI for 20 bucks walmart has them too though......biggest thing to look for is the telemetry strap (you don't want one of those instant touch ones......) that you wear around your chest.......and what I do, when I'm done working out, I take the "average" from my HRM and MyFitnessPal and "override" MFP that that value.....

basically, HRM value + MFP value........divide by 2.....I feel that kinda "meets in the middle" per se......cause yea, I've seen MFPs calorie burns seem to be a little bit "off" compared to my calorie burns......about 100 calories or so.......