Ugh... Consumed 24oz of chicken breast

Options
Just cooked grilled 2 chicken breasts and ate both of them along with 1/2 cup of brown rice, 1 cup of black beans, 1/2 cup of spinach. I go to enter it all into MFP, glance at the Generic 4oz chicken breasts option I have always been using and think "hmm, just for curious let me see what these actually are" so I head out and buy a cheap kitchen scale, grab a breast from the fridge, and come to alarm that it weighs over 12oz! And I ate two of those!! And some sides!

This puts me 134g protein over the top. FML.

Dinner totaled out at 1,472 calories, which is fine because I spent an hour and half mountain biking this morning and I had skipped lunch. It didn't even occur to me that it was that much food. I was planning on resting the remainder of the day, but now I definitely have to hit the gym and put this surplus protein to use. Going to hit weights so hard.

Well, at least now I know to just eat HALF of one breast (6oz), instead of two whole ones (24oz), if I want a serving size.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You learned something today. That was good.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I want to have dinner at your house! :D
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    bumping, so that I can keep abreast on the latest replies.
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    This is why I'm glad we have a food scale!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    You learned something today. That was good.
    What did they learn?
    Seems fine to me OP. What are you worried about?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I do that on purpose
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Wow, you really have never weighed anything before, huh?
    Quite a wake up call, isn't? At least now you know.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I ate 24 oz of chicken yesterday in my food diary. My numbers came out right where I wanted them...which are not the same as MFP's recommendations due to carb restrictions (glucose intolerance). Granted, I was eating high protein for the rest of the day to make up for a high carb refueling after a run that morning. But, hey. It worked in the end.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up 35x24=840 calories for rilled chicken breast. Cant see why on earth you are bothered.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Weighing food can be quite a shock! Really shows how you can be underestimating. Have a good time at the gym.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    When you log it, be sure you use the "raw" chicken entry since you're using the weight of a raw chicken breast. I find the USDA entries pretty accurate.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am genuinely jealous. 24oz of chicken sounds friggin' awesome right now.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    oxers wrote: »
    I am genuinely jealous. 24oz of chicken sounds friggin' awesome right now.
    I know, I wish I could eat that much in a sitting...I would always meet my protein goals!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    FML?
    Really?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast is the worst part of the chicken.. how could you eat that much of it? Yuk.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you're muscles r gonna get so bulky.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    MMMM Roast chicken breast for dinner.
  • amsnew
    amsnew Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I just looked it up 35x24=840 calories for rilled chicken breast. Cant see why on earth you are bothered.
    WhimsicalX wrote: »
    Dinner totaled out at 1,472 calories

I know there's a certain subset of MFP who is convinced that eating a lot of food will magically make you lose weight, but that would be over some people's calorie limit for the day, just in one meal.

Weighing and measuring your food can be shocking when you first start doing it. I've lost 35 lbs. so far and I weigh and measure everything I eat. When I saw how small the servings for some things really are, I can see why I was so fat in the past.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    It's threads like these that make me really glad that I used to work in a deli and therefore got really good at guestimating the weight of food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    not really sure what the big deal is….

OP - are you sure that you entered this in correctly? when I look at 24 oz of chicken I get 660 calories….