Eggs v. Egg Whites

Options
bokaba
bokaba Posts: 171 Member
Is it a better idea to eat egg whites (from the pourable carton) than regular eggs containing yolk? Even considering the cholesterol content (1 egg is 65% of daily recommended dose of cholesterol while whites are 0%). Are you missing out on much by not eating the yolk presuming it is within your calorie limits?

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I like the whole egg. The yolk has some nutrients

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/113/2
  • krmthomas
    krmthomas Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Unless your doctor has told you to watch your cholesterol I would eat the whole egg. Lots of nutrients in the yoke and I agree withlosinmama1966 that they taste better with. I'm a firm believer in eating whole food
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat scrambled eggs using 1 or 2 whole eggs + 1 white, if I'm trying to watch my fat consumption.

But just eating cooked egg whites is gross to me unless I'm making an egg white omelet with cheese and ham and fixings. Which means adding back in fat, so what's the point?
  • margaretadickie65
    Options
    You can Have up to 13 echa a eren. Echa are so nutritious. Ir das recently discoverd that certain chemicals in echa negate the cholesterol. So no more worries. Check out Mercola.com for nutrition info on any subject. I read about the echa in the new book out Wheat. Belly by William Davis, M D. I believe. He advises butter is better than margarine....but use ir sparingly. Good pick.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,991 Member
    Options
    Yes, your missing out on one of natures perfect foods and where most of the nutrients are in what you want to leave out......which seems par for the course in this nutritionally enlightened age. Also where I live there is no RDA for cholesterol which means less choice for carton egg whites, but I'm sure that will change and we'll probably even seem flavoured egg whites soon on the shelves, actually I'm sure of it.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I understand that there are valuable nutrients in the yolk, but I am concerned about the cholesterol content. My cholesterol is marginal at about 200, but was much higher many years ago when I was taking statins. After two eggs, that pretty much eliminates any animal products for the rest of the day save maybe fish and shellfish.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    One of my breakfasts is a whole fried egg on one slice of toast. Half a fried egg sandwich. Liquid egg whites are for my post workout smoothie. I hate powders.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals.. the whole egg has sufficient omegas from the yolk. The white emphasizes the protein... Ill assume in terms of general health, you should eat the whole egg. If you were a body builder however, in cutting, and focused only on preserving muscle, its obvious to only drink, eat the egg whites.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I prefer egg whites. Protein, but I can eat more of them with fewer calories than while eggs. Etc etc. I just prefer egg whites, they fit into my life better.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    1 whole egg + egg whites; you get the extra nutrients in the yolk and lower cholesterol from the whites...even Dr. Oz wants people to eat the whole egg now.
  • Kameegaming
    Kameegaming Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    eat whole eggs, don't mind the high fat or cholesterol but keep your carb intake below 100g and you are fine.
  • anarchoev
    anarchoev Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The yolk contains most of the nutrients (including half of the protein) in eggs. And the cholesterol from the yolk is actually good for you. So unless you're going completely fat free or have been told by a doctor otherwise, it's better to eat the whole egg.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I like the convenience of the egg white cartons

unless I'm having egg and soldiers in which case I need the yolks
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Eat which ever fits better in your daily diary.
    Some days I do just egg whites (low fat days), some days I do whole eggs (where I do higher fat days).
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat the whole egg, it does taste much better. However, there are times I will eat just the whites. If I'm teetering on my calorie goal, 4 egg whites are less than half the calories of 2 whole eggs, so I'll have those instead. Or if I notice that my daily fat is already really high from other foods, I'll have just the whites to cut back a little bit. When I do have the egg whites, I make sure to have them in a full omelet with lots of veggies to add flavor, I don't like the taste of egg whites on their own.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Like almost everything, it depends. If I have enough room in my day for the extra calories, I'll eat the whole egg. If I don't, and I want some extra protein, I'll just have the whites. I prefer the whole egg though.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I like the whole egg. The yolk has some nutrients

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/113/2

The yolk has not just some but the lion's share of the nutrients...