Stayin on track at parties/potlucks

Options
I'm involved in a couple of wonderful community groups and a circle of friends that get together 2-3 times a month for potluck barbeques, lunches and dinners. I've been able to stay on track and count calories when I'm on my own, but I seem to always slip up and eat a lot at these lunches and dinners. (If it's relevant, most of the food at these events is reasonably healthy - grilled meats and salads, and most of the members of the groups are within a healthy weight range.) I try to stick with the healthier options, loading up on salad and skimping on carbs/deserts, but I find that between socializing and being surrounded by delicious food, it's hard to even really keep track of what I'm eating. Any suggestions?

Replies

• WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think you should count your blessings you have so many friends and social opportunities, and just keep doing your best. :smile:

I've already accepted that I have zero self control when faced with a buffet of wonderful home cooked foods, so I try to enjoy in moderation and burn it off best I can throughout the week. I'm a southerner, we do love our salads and our Dukes and our BBQ.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    One thing I do daily that helps me is prelog. I have a personal rule that I log before it goes in, so for example if I'm at a buffet or bbq, I log prior to eating. You know when these are coming so you can do it a multiple of ways:
    -Eat 50-100 calories less for a few days during that week.
    -Set aside a certain amount of calories for that meal-prelog your breakfast and (lunch or dinner), then you have the rest for that remaining meal.
    -Just enjoy that day, log it and move on.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Either:
    1) as lis said, save up calories. I saved up my friday exercise cals for today (thanksgiving). 200 extra!
    2) pre-log if you know what's there. Otherwise, as soon as you grab something, log it and move on.
    3) Don't bother logging, just eat portions similar to your normal portions and eat, then let your body digest. If you are still hungry half an hour later, have some water, if stil hungry, eat more food.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I try to cut calories the day of or the day before. I like the idea another poster mention of saving them up all week if you know you are going to a potluck. Just knowing I was going to log my food made me eat less than I would normally at a potluck.
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    Stay really busy! If I'm sitting around food, I'm just going to be thinking about food. Can you chat with friends at a table without snacks? Or start up a game (board game, volleyball, whatever!)?

I've found that if I start obsessing about food, I WILL give in. As soon as I realize I'm obsessing, I force myself to do another activity. The craving goes away (cause for me its emotional eating 99% of the time), and later on I feel great knowing I didn't give in!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The first question I would ask yourself is this:

Do these social events (more specifically, my eating habits at these social events) prevent me from reaching my goals?

The answer could very well be "no" in which case you just keep doing what you are doing.

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Is it affecting your weight loss? It sounds like you are making good choices.
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have similar problems when faced with temptation - what about eating something before you go? Even if it's just a sandwich or a salad, if you can fill yourself up a little first and then when faced with the snacks, ask yourself if you're hungry: if the answer's no then walk away (I mean actually walk away from it! You only need a quick boost of will power to turn around, instead of thinking about it until you cave in!)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I agree with saving up calories and/or increasing exercise. If it's something you plan to do regularly, plan accordingly. :)
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are going through. Sounds like you are doing well at these gatherings. Just stay away from the desserts!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Since you know about these events ahead of time, plan for them. Either save calories or eat at your calories maintenance level for those days.
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing fine. But if you want to test your will power try not snacking at the parties. Drink lots of water and have something healthy before you go. Or if you find will power is something you struggle with every time save extra calories for the event/day.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Eat less the rest of the day and overestimate the portion sizes. Track the best you can. If it doesn't hinder your loss, then keep it up. If you find it hindering your loss, then readdress.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Why dont you do some exercise to make up for it?
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! The ideas of eating and/or logging before, and to think of it as spending exercise calories, are great :)