Question on Running

Options
So I did my first 10k outdoor race yesterday which I really enjoyed, but my time was 54:53 and I know I can do the same distance on the treadmill in about 49:30. So my question is how much does running outdoors differ from running on a treadmill in difficulty and what can you do (if needed) to make them equal?

Yesterday's race was mostly flat, so hills weren't a major issue, so I wonder if part of the problem is pacing as I have to judge my pace outdoors and adjust based on how my body feels, whereas on a treadmill if I feel a little fatigue during the run I know my pace hasn't changed so I just push through it. On a side note I was happy with my time and I'm not beating myself up over it (my aim was under an hour being my first race), I'm just curious to know if there is a difference, or it is just to do with mentality.

Replies

• sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    On the treadmill you can force a speed. When I run on the treadmill I usually go at a faster pace than outdoors because I adjust the settings to be at 6.7 mph or 7 mph. When I run outside, it is usually slower because I'm just going at what my body feels like. Usually I do anywhere between 5.8 to 6.2 mph outside.

When I'm on the treadmill and I feel like going slower, all I have to do is adjust the settings to go slower. When I'm outside it's different because there are no settings... just yourself.
    I think your differing times are just because when you run outside your mile times may vary from mile to mile. On the treadmill if you keep your settings on the same speed, all your miles will be the same.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is easier as the ground is moving and cushioned whereas running outside you are propelling yourself along. Also you have the variances in terrain and weather. People generally run faster on a treadmill due to this. So there will always be a difference in time and pace. I don't do treadmills as I can't think of anything more mind numbing to do but if you want to get better at running outside you need to run outside so your body gets used to the different stresses and strains. Treadmills can be useful but they do not replace the need to train outside.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    all of the above I imagine. I don't even know how to use a treadmill, so I my response may be grain of salt, but I suspect your being in a totally different environment affected your time. You're using additional muscles to compensate for the different surface & even the air you breathe is different outside (ie: allergens tend to slow me down). I think you answered your own question TBH :D

I think you did great. Congratulations.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Running on the treadmill is physically a little easier than outdoors as the belt assists your legs to turn over quicker, less braking effect when your foot hits the belt as it is moving rather that static, probably less wind resistance and also less shock to absorb as the belt is softer than outside surfaces.

The combination of these factors would probably explain the difference in time as well as issues over pacing as you say.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    2 totally different beasts, both physically and mentally. IMO, if you want to be a good outdoor runner, run outdoors. If you want to be fast on the treadmill, put in more time on the treadmill.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are a load of old cobblers. Avoid them wherever possible. They do half of the leg work for you.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Different frictional forces, you're less than a minute a mile slower, so the overall difference isn't that big.
    If you're racing you should really look to practice on the terrain of a race, there's no point practicing for a trail race on tarmac and vice versa, and no point training for a hill race on the flat.
    You;re happy with your time, so it's now up to you, if you want to improve on your time, you need to run outside more, if you're happy with what you've done, you can go on as normal, personally I'm not a fan of the treadmill because you don't adjust to the fatigue in your body and you can end up with injuries because of this!!
    I love running outside, the only time I'm on the treadmill is in my personal training sessions when my trainer decides to do the Shredmill Challenge!!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Treadmills are a load of old cobblers. Avoid them wherever possible. They do half of the leg work for you.
    I always get a rude awakening when I think I can run after using a treadmill and then run on a trail. Definitely half the leg work!! My treadmill run when I started was literally double what I could do outside.
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    To make them somewhat equal run with a 0.5 incline. I was told that at the store I bought my treadmill at. It helps to lessen the assist of the belt.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    tracysway wrote: »
    To make them somewhat equal run with a 0.5 incline. I was told that at the store I bought my treadmill at. It helps to lessen the assist of the belt.

That carries it's own risks, around sustained training without a full range of motion.

Dreadmills are a horrible experience, I admire the mental fortitude of anyone who can consistently cope with more than five minutes or so on one.

Trails, roads if i can't do trails :)
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Here are some simple tips for people who train indoors, but race outside.
    1. Incline should be set to 1% to more closely match a "flat" outdoor run
    2. For pacing, as noted, a treadmill "forces" you to keep a certain pace. So, make sure you add interval and tempo runs to your training so you body gets a feel for various speeds
    3. For courses that may not be flat, or trail runs, most treadmills have hill or trail preset programs. Use them. If they are not there, mix up the incline range from 2%-6%. That range will typically help you with most races...obviously many hills are much steeper, but this range will help.
    4. For downhill training, unless you have a treadmill that does downhill, try running at 0% incline at a much faster pace...you won't get the muscle benefit of a true downhill run, but you can "train" your body to handle the increase in speed that naturally occurs on a downhill, and hopefully during the race you can keep your pace more consistent on that downhill. But in all honesty there is no substitute for outside hill work, especially downhill.
    5. The final piece is the mental aspect. Most treadmill runners watch TV, read, or some other activity that takes their mind somewhere else; keep in mind I said most. When you are outside and at a race, there are changing scenery, other runners, excitement, nerves, weather, various road or trail grades, possibly and usually hills, and much more. It's very common to run a little slower because from a sensory standpoint, you are dealing with exponentially more things than when on the treadmill, inside. Consider doing different things while on the treadmill...maybe watch a show, then just listen to music and stare at a wall (or other people at the gym if that is where you are), then back to a show, or maybe a movie, or a book. Change it up so your mind needs to refocus.

It's always best to practice outside as well, but don't let people trash treadmill running...my wife is a marathon runner and does ALL of her training indoors with no issues. I personally don't like running on treadmills because I love the outdoors, but I still use them when I need to.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    tracysway wrote: »

They would tell you that because they are in the business of selling......
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Outdoor running is so much better for you than a treadmill and a lot more fun

29509743.png
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I don't think this was mentioned...calibration of treadmills is usually pretty bad. So, it's possible the 10k treadmill time wasn't actually 10K. And, as the other mentioned, it's generally easier to run on a TM, if not a little boring. I only run on them when it's not safe to run outside (lightning, ice, etc.) Sometimes though, it's nice to hop on the tm and zone out for a while! :smile:
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    :creeps:
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies :smile: I do do both treadmill and outdoor training as both have benefits (to me at least). I would say as my times improve on the treadmill they also improve outdoors, so anyone implying the treadmill useless seems to have a little bit of a skewed opinion to me. I do intervals and vary speeds on the treadmill too.

I think some people have taken me saying it was my first 10K race to mean I must not run outside, sorry I wasn't clearer that I do run outside, but my runs tend to hit a lot more hills than they did in that race so comparisons of time have not really been considered by me before.