No Loss - Re-evaluating - UGH~!

Options
started this journey August 9, and thru Sept 20, I had lost 20 pounds - YAY! but I have weighed exactly the same since 9/20 - kinda depressing. any other time on a weight-loss kick, I probably would have given up - but I can't this time. gotta get it done!
-
so - I'm regrouping today - I know I have to get back to walking and exercise (situations I couldn't control and other menial excuses have kept me from it)... I even got up early this morning to get 30 minutes in on the Wii Fit, only to discover that the stupid batteries were corroded in the base and the controllers. (sad, I guess that shows how long its been!)
-
and I'm going to try to figure out my BMR - 1200 calories may be too low. I think i'll up it to 1400 and see if that helps. I know there will be plateaus, but I was hoping it wouldn't be this soon! Thanks to MFP I can vent and keep on trucking! Thanks everyone!!!
:smiling_imp: (only because purple is my favorite color!)
30193150.png

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I've weighed the same (plus or minus a few pounds) for a year now.
    I still don't think it's a plateau. It's caused by me not being as motivated as I was in the beginning. BUT I maintained and that's huge to me.
    I'm back on track with weighing and measuring everything, and getting my workouts back in check.

My advice is to make sure you're accurately logging.
    Calorie goal is important too. I find if I was at 1200, I would overeat because I was hungry (although my goal is only 1300 now, I have a HRM and eat almost all of my exercise calories back)
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It's bizarre that you lost weight so rapidly (a pound every 2 days!) to start with and then stalled for a month. If you're doing exactly the same as before it's really too weird.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    do you own a food scale? Weight, log, measure everything?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary and provide your stats?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Since it's been about a month, you are eating at your calories maintenance level. You have to re-create your calorie deficiency in order to continue to lose weight.
  • Grankakes
    Grankakes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    my food diary is very skewed for the past couple of weeks, due to my not logging - which is probably part of the problem. I think the reason for the quick weight loss was due to the fact that I quit (cold-turkey) diet dr pepper and went to straight water - approx. 3 liters per day. and the fact that I went from carte-blanche to 1200 calories. I do have a food scale, and I'm going to start weighing everything. I measure all dry and liquids. I haven't been drinking as much water the last 2 weeks either. so, I'm back on the water (goal = 1 gallon / day) and measuring!
  • Grankakes
    Grankakes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    p.s. I'm happy that I've maintained, but frustrated that I seem to be trying so hard with no success. no loss is better than a gain! ;)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yes, use your food scale as much as possible.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Grankakes wrote: »
    my food diary is very skewed for the past couple of weeks, due to my not logging - which is probably part of the problem.

I do have a food scale, and I'm going to start weighing everything.

Well you found out what the problem is and the solution.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Grankakes wrote: »
    my food diary is very skewed for the past couple of weeks, due to my not logging - which is probably part of the problem.

I do have a food scale, and I'm going to start weighing everything.

Well you found out what the problem is and the solution.

ding, ding, ding, ding....winner winner, chicken dinner..

that is your problem OP....
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    Such a rapid weight loss can cause a massive downturn in some key hormones, some people find a binge day, or high calorie cheat or refeed once a week can kick start your metabolism back up
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The key to weight loss: finding something you can do long term. Going extremely low cal got you started with a 20 pound loss (congrats) but is probably not the answer for how to live for the next 3, 6, 12, etc. months.

Find a moderate calorie range that gives you a deficit but allows you to eat to fuel your body. Be mindful of the food choices you make. Look for ways to move more and set activity goals for yourself. Log your food - based on weight and accurate food log entries in the database - every day. With the MFP site and app, that part is easy enough at least. Occasionally reassess your goals, to see if you need to change your food intake range or increase your activity.

Do this and over time, you will lose weight. There will be weeks you don't lose, some you may even gain. But if you're following this 'plan' then you can be pretty confident those are oddities due to water weight. Generally speaking, you'll weigh less than you did a month before.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Grankakes, it sounds like you know what to do. Best wishes on getting back on track and your grandbabies are adorable!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Also keep in mind that as you lose weight you'll eventually hit maintenance level and need to reduce calories further in order to keep going. I don't know if you're at that point yet or not, but if you're doing things exactly the same way and suddenly get stuck, that could be it.