over 50 and thyroid problems

Can anyone tell me if there is a food and excersize that can help someone with thyroid problems I am doing 6 inch step fitness for 60 minutes and limiting my caloric intake drinking about 12 glasses of water a day and it's benn 4 months not showing any weight loss at all?

Replies

• Hi just now saw your message about thyroid issues. I'm 53 and have been struggling with losing weight no matter what I would try. Had my hormones checked,and now I take bio identical hormones . Armor Thyroid ,progesterone (natural capsule form) and testosterone. Now the weight is starting to shed. It's been about 5 months now and I feel great.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    I'm in my fifties and I take medication for thyroid. I've been able to lose weight but it's been a rather slow process.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Thyroid has to be controlled first depending on the issue. I am 41 but I have a non functioning thyroid, Hashimoto's and hypothyroid. The only thing I take is Levothyroxine but I have a very high dosage of 200mcg.

In the terms of weight loss, even with thyroid issues you will still lose - it just tends to be slower. If you truly eat at a deficit, then you will lose. I have to be very diligent in weighing food to ensure I get my deficit :)

You will not get much assistance until people can see your diary and give you advice as it will all circle back to food, logging, weighing and overestimating exercise calories burned :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    It can be hard to lose with thyroid issues, but - at least sometimes - it can be done. I don't have a thyroid and have lost about 80 pounds.

You have to attend to the thyroid issues, though. You cannot diet or exercise your way out of thyroid problems.

Although weight loss gets talked about a lot here, the thyroid has effects on other things, too. Most don't screw around with it. Follow your doctor's advice...and that doctor should be an endocrinologist. :)
  • Hi I have Hashimotos thyroid disease , Mom had same thing and thyroid cancer, my hair is still falling out, i had a thyroid radioactive uptake scan showing nodules and goiter, weight loss is s l o w but i found salt is my worst enemy its hidden in everything,,when i cut out salt i drop the pounds, I also drink dandelion tea which is a diuretic, my own choosing not Drs..i keep a food log and exercise log..for my diabetes...also a auto immune disorder I am a cancer survivor DES estrogen..they all are linked..wierd science kind of way..do not give up hope,, try the food log and exercise log..see what your red flag foods are see if cutting out salt helps speed up weight loss..good luck I have been on thyroid meds since 1995
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I'm 52 and I have Hashimoto's and am losing weight fairly steadily. I'm on a rather high dose of Synthroid, 200 mcg. You need to have your condition dealt with medically, there's no diet or exercise plan that will fix an endocrine and/or autoimmune issue.

It should be noted that a thyroid problem is an ongoing condition that will need ongoing monitoring and adjusting. There's not a one-time adjustment that sets you straight for good.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    To lose weight you need thyroid medication before anything else will work. Some people use Synthroid; for me that did not work and I had to be switched to Armour Thyroid. Before I got my meds it was simply not possible to lose weight at all no matter what I did.