Sufferers of Trypanophobia!!!!

Options
NessaReh85
NessaReh85 Posts: 140 Member
edited October 2014 in Chit-Chat
Just wondering if there is any other sufferers of Trypanophobia and do you have any tricks to help you get through it.

**Experiencing severe panic/anxiety attacks just from trying to schedule the appointment to get it done**

*****Trypanophobia is a severe needle phobia which can cause someone to not seek medical treatment.*****

Replies

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Nope. But I would say that is pretty common.
  • mbailey423
    mbailey423 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My wife for sure. Looses it at the thought of a needle. This was brought on by having to have rabies shots ( in the stomach) when she was 6 after having been bit by a neighbors dog. To this day I go with her to get any blood work she may need, and hold her hand while the phlebotomist does her thing. She actually went as far as having our twins natural due to the fact that she didn't want any needles. Personally I would have needed morphine, with a Scotch chaser if I had to go thru that.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'm not that bad but i used to be as a kid, it'd take 4 people to hold me down to get a shot in the butt. Now i just wonder why i was so fussy. Though after getting the blood gasses tested from my wrist twice i'm squeamish again lol
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    mindfulness and lots of exposure while also being exposed to positive stimuli-
  • NessaReh85
    Options
    @mbailey423 I completely understand that. When I got pregnant, I wasn't too bad for the diabetes tests but when it came time to deliver, it took 3 family members and a nurse to get the IV in and when I had to get a spinal block (C-section) that was horrible. All I remember is not holding still. The Anesthesiologist even came to see me afterwards in recovery to check on me, he said he has never had to try to hit a moving target before because it can paralyze you if he misses and he was able to get it done. The nurse told me that the anesthesiologist never visits the patients afterwards. Needless to dsay...I only have one child due to this issue
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I got a flu shot I think three years ago, so I was 20, and I flipped out.

The funny part is I have tattoos all over and yet a needle for a shot is so bothersome to me. Even when I was little, I would scream and it would take nurses to pin me down. I can control it better now, as I've learned to deal with other anxiety issues. It wouldn't be an irrational fear if it made sense, though, would it.
  • NessaReh85
    Options
    Absolutely not! Drives me crazy, I think that why my anxiety is getting worse, I can sit here all day and say I will go get blood work done just so I cna get it over with and as soon as I try to schedule an appointment, I start to hyperventilate. Dr put me on anxiety medicine yesterday to try to help. Guess we will see how it goes
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I read that as "Tryhardophobia" at first and was thinking yeah that sounds about right - didn't realize it was an actual condition. I don't mind shots (good because I'm probably going to have to get a cortisone shot tomorrow) but I'm not a fan of that feeling when the needle shifts around in your arm while giving blood.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I definitely think more exposure does help. I shook and shivered and was terrified when I was younger having my jabs at school, and I definitely avoided needles as much as I could after that.

But as I got older, I wanted to do my bit, and gave blood quite a few times. I was terrified, but the nurses were so nice. The bag is out of the way and you don't have to look down at your arm. It did help me get over my fear a little bit. Having someone there to squeeze their hand is important too. And keeping your eyes closed tight. As an adult I have had to get immunisations to travel, move to the USA, and not to mention being pregnant 3 times, and higher-risk each time (more blood draws, shots, boosters, etc.) and all the stuff that goes along with a C-section.

The anxiety is a LOT less now, and it helps to know that you really don't have a choice for most of it - it is a part of living life in a country with hospitals. I still wouldn't choose birth control shots or that thing they put in your arm though. Bleh!

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    My fiancé does. There's a numbing cream that she gets from the pharmacy when she has to get a shot. I don't remember the name, offhand. She can't get shots without it, and she still panics for a couple of days beforehand, but at least she can get it done with the cream.