Prozac?

Options
Hi!
I am thinking of starting 10mg of Prozac for anxiety/OCD. Anyone have any thoughts on the drug? Any side effects? Also, I am on a laxative tea.... any drug interactions?

Thanks!

Replies

• __Bad_Leroy
    Options
    My only thought is MFP forums is not a great resource for this. I've seen several threads where people give advice that should only be given by medical professionals.
  • drazani
    drazani Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For advice regarding drug interactions and side effects please consult a medical professional
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A psychiatrist is the best person to determine which psychotropic drug is right for you. I have taken Prozac since the early 1990s and it works well for my depression. I had to add Welbutrin because some of my blood pressure meds interfere a bit with the Prozac.

Deciding which drug to take and working to make sure you get the right mix for you is NOT something we all can help you with. We can tell you our own experiences but it has absolutely NO relevance to how your body and brain will respond to a specific drug.
  • Motivered
    Motivered Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I prefer kratom caps and to my astonishment I've found that low doses completely alleviated my depression! Last time I have bought it online at kratomunderground.com and it was really comfortable. Hope this helps others suffering from this terrible condition
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I took it for more than a decade. No real problem with side effects. I would check with a doctor about the tea, though.
  • Surfingbodi
    Surfingbodi Posts: 161 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have been on generic Prozac for menopausal PMS stuff that was out of hand for most of the last 5 years and am slowly coming off now with the assistance of a doctor. My experience is that I had no serious weight gain at 20 mg (maybe 3-5 lb) but after I moved up to 40 mg when 20 mg was no longer working, the weight gain was steady. I also have Hashimotos which could be the problem or at least part of it. That is an under active thyroid.

I think it is good to ask other people about their experience but with depression it is really critical first to have a good medical team put together. That would be a good primary doctor, a good prescribing psychiatrist, and a good therapist. Depression (and anxiety/OCD) is really a complicated illness and in my 'opinion' rarely ever just biological OR environmental so there is no one profession that has all the fixes. It is a wholistic type of illness.

Good luck!
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You can ask a pharmacist about interactions, but which doctor prescribed laxative tea? The drug itself is great for many people. You are going to get it prescribed, right? Not some other way? The dosing on SSRI's matters a great deal for anxiety and OCD.
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This is a discussion best left for a healthcare professional.

My experience on prozac has been a good one but this varies person to person.