adding in strength training

Options
I have been faithfully going to the gym for about 3 years. I either use the treadmill, elliptical, or bike for 30-45 minutes everyday. I then follow that up with 10-15 minutes of good stretching. I want to add in strength training, and the gym clearly has all the right equipment for that, but I just don't know where to start. How do I decide what to do? How much to do? and how often to do it? I've been instructed on how to use the machines themselves, but I don't really know how to go about setting up a plan of action to turn the machines into workouts. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Find a reputable, established routine and follow it. Most people will recommend free weight routines as there is more benefit and greater bang for your lifting buck, but machines can work, too, if that's your preference.

Starting strength and new rules of lifting are good free weight routines... I don't know of any machine-based routines off the top of my head.
  • mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You could do some searching online as to what you should be doing and on what days. I do strength training at home and follow DVD's. I find it so much easier and cheaper! If that's not for you tho and you do prefer the gym, you're best bet is to just Google some ideas or ask a trainer at the gym for help.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    you can also schedule one appt with a PT, explain what your goals are and they can build a routine for you to follow.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you can convert some of the free weight routines to machine routines. There is usually an equivalent machine for the exercise. Google is your friend here, there are so, so many variables.

Something like Stronglifts 5x5 would be my go for a starting point, free weights if at all possible.