Sodium content

Options
How do you keep sodium down. I'm doing ok trying to stay with 1500 calories in a day but the sodium is always high. Have a friend who lost 100 pounds in a year simply not eating anything that fat was more than 1/3 the total calories. Is there a similar 'rule of thumb' for sodium?

Replies

• LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Myself I watch everything I put n my mouth which is alot on top of counting calories but daily I am usually under my goal of 1500 try loading up on vegetables throughout the day this will help with cutting down on the sodium
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Reducing fat reduces calories. Reducing sodium won't have that affect. Reducing sodium can help keep you from retaining water, but that's about it.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you cut out processed food you should find it pretty easy to keep your sodium under recommended levels. You'll still go over if you indulge in pizza or go out to restaurants, but that shouldn't be an issue so long as it's not a daily thing.

I also use a potassium chloride (salt substitute) instead of sodium chloride (table salt) whether cooking or sprinkling it over popcorn. It kills two birds with one stone: it helps keep my sodium levels down and helps get my potassium levels up.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Are you watching sodium intake for medical/health reasons? Or do you just want to make sure you're not retaining water? If it's the former, make sure you talk to your doctor about what level you should be at and ask them for suggestions and or a referral to a nutritionist. If it's the latter, try cutting out processed foods - less stuff from cans, boxes, etc. If you must get premade or mixes, go with those that say low sodium or check the labels. I've found some brands just have less sodium than others.
  • karenbobaren
    karenbobaren Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you're eating processed foods, then you'll sodium content will be high. But overall, sodium doesn't have much effect on weight loss other than retaining water. On days that you do go over your sodium, counteract it with by drinking more water that day.
  • leaner426
    Options
    Are you eating a lot of processed foods? That may be your problem. I don't eat a lot of processed foods, and choose the low sodium options when they are available and I am often low on my sodium levels. Look at your food list to find out what the sodium hogs are - soda, frozen meals, pizza can all have really high sodium contents.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    this has been a super hard one for me. I have to pre plan EVERYTHING I put in my mouth. I have high blood pressure so I try to watch this. I do most of my shopping at a fresh farmers market, and I avoid processed, frozen and restaurant food about 90% of the time. Eating fresh and cooking your own foods is the only way I've found to lower sodium. It's very hard but it can be done. Also, check labels and if you have to buy processed/frozen/canned items, look for a lower sodium option and watch serving sizes. Good luck! :D
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of problems trying to keep my sodium levels down too. It adds so fast sometimes.

Yes, cooking and making your own food helps tremendously, I've noticed. But sometimes it's just not possible or it gets tiring. Some days I just don't want to cook anymore because I'm sick of it. Cooking 3 meals a day, 7 days a week, for two people is exhausting! Heh.

Just try your best to choose low sodium options where available and cook yourself as much as you can.
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Natasha_Fit_Fab Posts: 93 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I agree w/ what everyone said try to limit processed foods and eating out...I am also watching my sodium content for HBP I try to stay under 1500 mg/day...I noticed since starting MFP that a lot of my sodium is coming from the add on ingredients I use w/ my meals especially cheese... I love Cheese and cheese is very high in sodium... I am working on it, but it is a vice for me...You can do w/ planning...Good Luck!!
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I roast most of the vegetables I eat and instead of using salt on them, I sprinkle them generously with onion and garlic powders and sometimes sprinkle some dry parsley on them before I bake them. Once you get used to eating a lot less sodium, things you used to dig taste too salty.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The best way to keep sodium down is to cook from scratch using basic ingredients, that way (other than the sodium that naturally occurs in foods) you are in complete control. Stay away from restaurants, especially fast food places etc and if you are going to buy canned vegetables, tomatoes etc look for the "no salt added" varieties.

If you're limiting your sodium due to hypertension you should also track your potassium intake, you should be consuming 4,000+ mg a day (which, with a little planning can all come from food sources) as it helps your body eliminate sodium.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Deli meat, canned soups, boxed meal prep kits and most frozen meals are all very high in sodium. If you don't have a medical reason for avoiding it, I wouldn't really worry too much. However, the best way to cut sodium is cook food yourself. When I'm eating meals I've made myself from scratch I rarely go over 1000 mg of sodium a day.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I try to reduce my sodium by using spice powders instead of salts. What I mean is, for example, instead of using garlic salt I use garlic powder. The salts I do use, like season salt, I've lowered the amount I use little by little. I've also learned use more herbs to add taste to my food.
    I still go over my sodium but I'm trying every day not to. I have to take care of that cuz my mom has HBP (and she's skinny!) so I want to make sure I can try to avoid getting HBP myself.
  • snapbear
    snapbear Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm just amazed at all the food containing sodium - celery for example.