Diet pop - is it really bad for you?

Options

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Put it this way. Tipping coke down your toilet helps to remove limescale, so imagine what these drinks might do to your teeth if you drink them too much........

Well, yes, - but you do clean your teeth, dont you?

Not the point is it? i.e. diet drinks are conceived by many as healthy based on their low calorie content and therefore because they have no sugar. So what's not to like? Well......
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Why not just drink water? Much more satisfying.

See my post on page 1 about "just" drinking water.

Please use a bit of common sense. My post does not suggest specifically restricting oneself to water now, does it?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    Why not just drink water? Much more satisfying.

See my post on page 1 about "just" drinking water.

Please use a bit of common sense. My post does not suggest specifically restricting oneself to water now, does it?

Well, yes it does to me - "why not just drink water" seems to be saying specifically restricting oneself to water to me.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    Put it this way. Tipping coke down your toilet helps to remove limescale, so imagine what these drinks might do to your teeth if you drink them too much........

Well, yes, - but you do clean your teeth, dont you?

Not the point is it? i.e. diet drinks are conceived by many as healthy based on their low calorie content and therefore because they have no sugar. So what's not to like? Well......

But you have to clean your teeth after most foods - diet soda no more so than other things.
  • erisians
    erisians Posts: 15 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There's no evidence that diet soda causes health problems (other than being bad for your teeth). There was a couple of studies that suggested there was a correlation between a small loss in bone density in people who drink cola, but other evidence suggested the cause was that soda drinkers tended to have less calcium in their diets and be less active. This is quite a well researched article: examine.com/faq/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you.html
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I drink it still. Not so much, because I need space for my 4 liters water a day!! But I don't think there is anything wrong with it, and when I feel like something sweet I have a glass. :)
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I used to drink tons of pop (we call it soda in my area) but I've been trying to get away from it a bit... finally convinced myself I don't really enjoy carrying all those heavy bottles home from the market so I'm drinking more water (yup, tap water). I still have one on occasion, like maybe in a restaurant or something, and I'm pretty sure it's not going to do any harm at those levels. As with anything, "too much" is never good.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yes. It corrodes your bones.

Please explain the biological mechanism for corroding your bones. Fascinating.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input.
    The information and insight provided makes me conclude that eliminating diet pop is certainly not high on the priority list of must do's for my weight loss or fitness in the near future. I am going to leave it on the list as something to look into again in the future as my journey continues.
    I really appreciate all of your comments. :)
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I love soda (new englander here, we call it soda or pop).

I found that I was retaining weight if I drank too much. Then I looked closely at the labels. HOLY SODIUM!

Best I have found? Caffiene free Market Basket brand diet soda. 0 cals, 0 sodium.

I love the stuff!

Drink about a can a day, sometimes 2!!!!

A 12 oz can of Diet Coke has all of 40 mg of sodium. Diet Pepsi and Diet 7-Up are about the same. If you drank ten cans a day, you'd get about as much sodium as eating one bagel.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I love soda (new englander here, we call it soda or pop).

I found that I was retaining weight if I drank too much. Then I looked closely at the labels. HOLY SODIUM!

Best I have found? Caffiene free Market Basket brand diet soda. 0 cals, 0 sodium.

I love the stuff!

Drink about a can a day, sometimes 2!!!!

I.
    Miss.
    Moxie.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Everything is bad for you.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    It stains th inside of your stomach. So when they cut you open they go 'ugh!' 'state of that'
  • dbmata
    Options
    I thought that was what otter pops did?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    How much is a lot of diet soda? Is diet soda taking the place of plain water?

IMO having to have something sweet all the time is a bad habit. I have a diet soda everyday, I also drink lots of plain water everyday. I don't need something flavored or sweetened (fake or otherwise) all day long.

I do drink a lot - like 75-100 oz/day. Sure it often replaces drinking plain water, but I really don't like drinking plain water.
    I have considered the caffeine as a reason to stop, but it has far less than coffee and I don't ever drink coffee. According to the Mayo clinic, coffee has 4.5 to 8 times more caffeine than diet pop. I also never drink regular pop, after drinking diet for years I can't stand the taste.

Ok - 6 to 8 cans of diet soda is quite a bit.

Try to get over the "I don't like plain water." Try adding cucumber slices, mint, ginger root, lemon slices....anything to over the aversion of plain water.

Have a diet soda once or twice a day.....if you need the caffeine....try unsweetened iced tea. I make iced tea using flavored bags. Lipton's Pyramid teas are fruity.

For me too much soda causes heartburn (lots of acid in cola). Saving your tooth enamel is another good reason for cutting back on soda.
  • smoothp555
    Options
    I recently started watching my calories and making small changes in my diet. One of these was trying to cut back on diet soda. I also used to drink 4-6 cans a day-- it was my default drink.

I found that cutting way back on diet soda also curtailed a lot of my cravings to munch. After I implemented a 1-soda-a-day "rule", a lot of times I'd catch myself thinking, "I'd love to have X and a Diet Dr. Pepper" but since I couldn't have the DDP, I wouldn't have X either. I also found it a lot easier to eat fruit, especially at breakfast, when I used to just have a pb&j and a DDP. Right now I have a container of Pringles on my desk that I'd usually be plowing into right now, but I really have no desire to have Pringles-and-water, so it's been sitting there for three days and not really bothering me.

Overall, "learning" to drink water has changed my habits so that now water is my default and soda is an option. I think it's a worthwhile thing to try just to see if the soda habit has some "hop-on" habits that are going along with it.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    smoothp555 wrote: »
    I recently started watching my calories and making small changes in my diet. One of these was trying to cut back on diet soda. I also used to drink 4-6 cans a day-- it was my default drink.

I found that cutting way back on diet soda also curtailed a lot of my cravings to munch. After I implemented a 1-soda-a-day "rule", a lot of times I'd catch myself thinking, "I'd love to have X and a Diet Dr. Pepper" but since I couldn't have the DDP, I wouldn't have X either. I also found it a lot easier to eat fruit, especially at breakfast, when I used to just have a pb&j and a DDP. Right now I have a container of Pringles on my desk that I'd usually be plowing into right now, but I really have no desire to have Pringles-and-water, so it's been sitting there for three days and not really bothering me.

Overall, "learning" to drink water has changed my habits so that now water is my default and soda is an option. I think it's a worthwhile thing to try just to see if the soda habit has some "hop-on" habits that are going along with it.

One of the best reasons I've heard. I hadn't really thought about the association with other habits.
  • erinb419
    Options
    Diet pop contains a lot of sodium, and that's why it should be avoided. Try tea.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    If I can't drink diet soda, what can I mix my rum with?

Seriously, the primary ingredient in diet soda is water. LoL, and as far as the other chemicals, I think some of you need to research those chemicals. For the most part they are all part of other naturally occurring foods. In fact many of the scary chemicals people like to tout as "evil" are naturally occurring in other foods that nature makes. Just because you cannot pronounce them, doesn't make them "evil" or man made.

/end thread
  • dbmata
    Options
    ksy1969 wrote: »
    If I can't drink diet soda, what can I mix my rum with?
    Tequila, obviously.

You new at this? :D