Help me calculate these please?

Options
I took my kids to a family farm today for an event they hold every year for October/Pumpkin stuff, etc. They have a little food stand there where they sell burgers from their own livestock and they also sell handcut french fries, deep fried.

I was able to calculate the burger I got because I asked them what percentage of beef they use. But I have NO clue about the fries! We got one of those rectangular cardboard trays, a small size. I ate maybe half of that. I just don't know what to use for my food diary because I'm all the entries seem to be all over the place. Any ideas? They make them there, and are deep fried in soybean oil.

(side note: the only reason I ordered these was because it was the only food available and I was starving and it's my 3 workout day so I knew I'd be ok if I ate light the rest of the day - I don't know why I felt the need to justify it, but there you go). :#

Thank you!
Alle

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Unless you've got some special medical or other reason for wanting to track different type of fats, I would just log it as a large or extra large fries (500 cals or so) from a fast food place such as McDonalds or Burger King (assuming the cardboard tray I'm picturing is the same size as the one you actually got, and that it was filled as much as I'm guessing -- anybody giving advice on "how much" here is pretty much guessing -- you're the one who actually saw it, so your guess as to whether it was the equivalent of a large or two larges or one medium at a fast food place should be better than ours).

Or, if the ratio of different types of fats really matters to you, look at the entry for the fast-food fries that seems like the right size, note the number of carbs and the number of fat grams, and add enough "potatoes, raw" to get you to the carb grams and enough "oil, soybean" to get you to the fat grams (equal amounts of different oils have essentially the same amount of calories and fats, but the proportion of sats, polyunsats, and monounsats varies -- as well as omega 3s and omegas 6s, but nutritional labels and hence MFP don't provide that info). The calories from those two entries should roughly the calories from the fast-food entry you were eyeing.

The big difference is something you have no way of knowing for sure, which is the temperature of the oil and the variety of potatoes, which will affect the amount of oil they absorb in the process. If they seemed really oily to you compared to whatever fast food entry you use, you might want to log an extra teaspoon or two of oil.
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Unless you've got some special medical or other reason for wanting to track different type of fats, I would just log it as a large or extra large fries (500 cals or so) from a fast food place such as McDonalds or Burger King (assuming the cardboard tray I'm picturing is the same size as the one you actually got, and that it was filled as much as I'm guessing -- anybody giving advice on "how much" here is pretty much guessing -- you're the one who actually saw it, so your guess as to whether it was the equivalent of a large or two larges or one medium at a fast food place should be better than ours).

Or, if the ratio of different types of fats really matters to you, look at the entry for the fast-food fries that seems like the right size, note the number of carbs and the number of fat grams, and add enough "potatoes, raw" to get you to the carb grams and enough "oil, soybean" to get you to the fat grams (equal amounts of different oils have essentially the same amount of calories and fats, but the proportion of sats, polyunsats, and monounsats varies -- as well as omega 3s and omegas 6s, but nutritional labels and hence MFP don't provide that info). The calories from those two entries should roughly the calories from the fast-food entry you were eyeing.

The big difference is something you have no way of knowing for sure, which is the temperature of the oil and the variety of potatoes, which will affect the amount of oil they absorb in the process. If they seemed really oily to you compared to whatever fast food entry you use, you might want to log an extra teaspoon or two of oil.

Very very helpful, thank you so much!! I'd rather overestimate, so I think I will log as either a large or extra large fast food fries. This is why I hate not having control over the food! Thankfully this is a rare occasion. Thank you so much for your help!