The bar hurts my shoulders when I squat

Options
So I just recently started lifting 3 x week. I am following strength 5x5 plan but don't have enough weights just yet. (Thank you to the lifting heavy made me bulky thread for helping me to convince my husband that lifting will give me a killer butt, and not make me a raging Arnold sized woman. He will now be buying me another 50 lbs for my bar with his next pay cheque B) )

Anyways, my question is I've just recently started to notice that where the bar rests on my shoulders is feeling bruised. I don't see any marks yet, but it's sore to the touch and it's sore when I'm doing the squats. I'm only squatting 43 lbs right now, but I know that I can do more once I get the extra weights but I don't want this pain to get worse or to stop me from lifting.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Is there a solution? Do I maybe have the bar in the wrong place? Any higher and I feel like it's pushing my head forward. Any suggestions?

Replies

212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Are you doing low bar or high bar squats?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're not resting it on that bone of the spine that juts out a little at the bottom of the neck. If it's that spot, you're resting the bar too high. Otherwise, in general, your body will adjust to it and it'll stop hurting as you go along.
  • catchthecarp
    Options
    They make a cushion that fits around the bar just for this, they have them at the squat rack at my gym. I've found that if I squeeze my shoulder blades together to form a shelf the bar doesn't bother me, I don't use the cushion.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You most likely have it in the wrong place. I am guessing "high bar" based on your comment that any higher it would push your head forward. When I started, I was bruising the little bone at the base of my neck, I had the bar too high. Try holding your shoulders back, squeeze those traps, the bar should rest on your trapezius muscles.
  • HazelMcNutty
    HazelMcNutty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yup.. too high. I did a forum search and found another person with a similar problem and someone posted a super helpful and informative and really long video that explains everything. Just tried the position they demonstrated and it's SO MUCH BETTER.
    Gah, I'm such a newb. :)
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Glad you found it, and we are all Noobs at one time or another! At least you came and asked!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    1sip30660x5q.jpg

Just for future reference...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,809 Member
    Options
    Don't set it at the base of your neck. Also if you don't have access to a pad, wrap a towel around the bar for a bit more cushioning. One of my go to paddings for some clients, is a MANTA for squatting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxOkequQBY0

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I do low bar squats and high bar squats...

Low bar for heavier weights until my core catches up and yes I have to pad my bar too...and yes I did bruise....between squatting and benching on a crappy bench it was pretty bad.

My husband bought some of that pipe insulation that goes around copper pipes to prevent sweating etc and cut me some pieces for it...

I've gone through two so far. I even use it when I am high bar squatting cause the bar is cold and I lift in a tank

As you can see by both pics posted in this thread that yes it does sit on the shoulder blades and can hurt...eventually.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    btw, don't let anyone give you a hard time for using a pad. Once the bar position is right, you'll remember the feeling and get used to it.

Another thing, do arm dislocs if your pecs and shoulders aren't limber enough to get the bar far down enough for a high bar, that's one of my problems.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I had bruising and tenderness for the first while, but now my traps have developed enough to pad the bar for me.
  • HazelMcNutty
    HazelMcNutty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I work out at home right now so the only one that would give me a hard time about using a pad would be my husband or my 5 year old and the list of things they give me a hard time about is huge so that would be the least of my worries :)