How to kill a craving...when you just want "something"?

Options

Replies

• sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I just try to refocus my attention on something else, especially something that requires real concentration or use of my hands...reading, studying, cleaning, exercising, journaling, looking at before and after pictures online. If those don't work and I'm still hungry, then I might try my best to isolate exactly what it is that I'm craving and either eat a small amount of that or find a best swap for it. If I want something sweet, I'll make some sugar free pudding and top it with a little whipped cream or fruit. If I'm looking for savory, I'll make sautee some spinach. Sometimes swaps won't do and I have to go for the real thing.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Dill pickles... that is the lowest calorie that I think you could find. In my case, when I crave something specific, I crave it until I get it. That could be days or weeks, and the craving doesn't just go away by trying to focus on other things or waiting it out.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Bored eating was, and is, a big enemy of mine. I do a number of things from leaving the house, watching a movie, or even eating a small snack if it will be a while before a proper meal. The trick is accountability and being honest with yourself.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    In my case, when I crave something specific, I crave it until I get it. That could be days or weeks, and the craving doesn't just go away by trying to focus on other things or waiting it out.

i'm the same way, especially with indulgence foods that i limit to once every few weeks.

with me, if i'm just randomly hungry, i can ignore it and it'll go away after a while. if i'm actually craving a specific food, and i'm STILL craving it 20-30 minutes later, then i'll figure out a way to either have it or a close approximation that still fits in my goals for the day.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    13bbird13 wrote: »
    I brush my teeth... that kills the desire to eat anything pretty quickly.

I brush my teeth too! Worst case scenario, you have really clean teeth :)

• mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Take a hike.

No, really...go take a walk. Even if it's around the block, it will readjust your thoughts. I also usually make a special cup of tea or something to feel like I'm treating myself.
  • Tkichler
    Tkichler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Coffee or tea works for me 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time my husband finds himself getting lucky.

I love this idea!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee as long as I can for the day- and I just keep going back to that. Then I'll start eating and usually try to eat something big enough to make do for several hours- but if I'm just generically hungry and not sure what I want- and I have little to no calories left but definitely have a craving for food- I often will pop a bag of steamable veggies and eat that- only 30 calories and usually something I can make work.

If its' something incredibly specific- I'll just eat the thing- I'm not going to fix a specific craving with something else- just eat the thing and be done with it.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    If I don't have room for the calories, I do my nails. Lol if my nails are wet, I can't go digging in the cupboards for food.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've read that taking a walk around the block is the best thing to do when this happens. Also, listen to your cravings and log whatever it is--work it into your day.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Sugar free popsicles. At only 15 cals each, I can have several without blowing my goals. And they're delicious.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Sugar free popsicles. At only 15 cals each, I can have several without blowing my goals. And they're delicious.

Sugar-free chemical-filled food is not the answer to satisfying cravings, sadly. Everything I've read says that you cannot fool the body by eating something that's got fake sugar in it.

Here's some tips from WebMD on how to deal with sweet cravings:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/13-ways-to-fight-sugar-cravings
  • flyingbeta
    flyingbeta Posts: 42 Member
    Options

This is what I do, as well. For 20 minutes or so after I brush my teeth, nothing tastes good. By then I'm over my craving.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    flyingbeta wrote: »

This is what I do, as well. For 20 minutes or so after I brush my teeth, nothing tastes good. By then I'm over my craving.

Really? Brushing my teeth has the opposite effect and makes me hungry. But it is a general hunger more than a specific hunger. When I crave something specific, the craving sticks around until I get it. I've been craving a taco pizza for weeks now. I will continue to crave it for a couple more weeks until I get it.
  • xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Drink a ton of water
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Pinterest. Man, I can waste a lot of time on there. By the time I logged off I probably really would be hungry.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    SkFarmMom wrote: »
    I need to get a new guardian dog...we live in a pretty remote area and I'm not comfortable going walking on my own. Last winter my little border collie walking companion was killed by wolves during her night patrols.

:( This breaks my heart. I'm sorry about your dog.

As for what to do when you have a craving. I just have a little something very small, like a little dark chocolate or a few dates. Some can't simply do "a little something" without it turning into a bingeing event, so if that's you .... distract yourself!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds like a bad answer, but when I get hungry I just eat something. Especially of its reasonably nutritious. I'm aware that its sometimes you mistaking hunger for thirst.

If it was genuinely boredom, then id do something for the boredom like play a game or some music, talk to friends or do some work, but I wouldnt be averse to eating.

I have a pact with myself so I dont restrict, but remind myself of my goals and how boring it is doing cardio.

If I need a snack.
    Piece of fruit- apples are good because they take longer to eat when you split them into segments.

Dried fruit or some nuts.

Rye bread.

Egg on toast.

Pickles

Yoghurt and fruit.

If I want chocolate then I just have it. I can bit I probably dont go overboard with it.

If I have a guilt complex (I dont really) then I can always work it off with my cardio reserve calories for the rest of the week by doing a bit more but im not that strict. Just seems like a waste of time being irritated by it.
  • PinkPupper
    PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Drink hot/warm water to get rod of cravings.
    Drink ice water to burn calories.

To kill the cravings, I drink 48 to 80 ounces of water.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    eating for me was partly habit - i find that part of losing the weight i have has been breaking the habit of eating when not hungry, and another part has been to only eat food i love so i don't feel deprived. that being said, when i want chocolate, i either let half a square of sees melt on my tongue or i have one of my low cal shakes, as follows.

4 ounces of non-fat lactose free calcium added milk (i find this kind tastes best for this)
    1 Tb light sour cream (adds richness, and must be fresh so it's not actually sour)
    1 to 2 tsp of cocoa to taste
    8 to 12 grams xylitol
    stevia to taste

blend together well. taste it to make sure it has enough sweetness and chocolateyness - if not, add a little more cocoa or stevia.

add about 1 1/3 cups ice

blend till the mixture has the consistency and taste of a chocolate shake - if you use the right cocoa, it really does! or instead of cocoa you can use about 1/4 to 1/3 tsp of cinnamon for a yummy sweet cinnamon treat.

if it's cold, i make pudding with the same ingredients, adding 30 calories of cornstarch, blend till smooth, boil, then cool part way down and eat when cool enough to thicken and not be too hot on my tongue.

btw, i find that sugar free popsicles can help with food cravings, but not if i want chocolate or something salty.