How much do you (realistically) work out a week?

Options
So I lost 120, put in 17 lbs! Now struggling to find balance. Before I over exercised. Going through a transition. I beat myself up on days when I don't workout over an hour! So successful MFP users who have lost and kept off weight, how much do you workout per week? Is it intense? etc.

<3

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Lift for an hour 4 days a week and run for 30-60 min once a week.
  • crystallynnl
    crystallynnl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Realistically I haven't worked out at all. I need to, I really do. I have to get myself motivated to be active before work. I need to join Planet Fitness then go from there..
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I do 20-30 minutes of cardio every day and maybe some pilates or walking if I feel like doing it.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I aim for at least 5 hours a week and generally I exceed that. I lift 4 days a week, do cardio one day and go to a yoga/pilates class once a week.
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    600 minutes a week in 3 sessions apparently.
    Sounds like a lot now I've looked at the weekly log, didn't realise I did that much, but I do enjoy the long endurance runs.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Lift 4 hours a week. cardio is my ten minute walk to the gym and back.
  • HealthySideofLife
    HealthySideofLife Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    At the moment, I do about 45-60 minutes of cardio 4-5 times a week, but I'm planning to incorporate strength training in my workout time in the next week or two (and maybe even more cardio).
  • missxlisa
    missxlisa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I do a 20 min yoga video once a week, an hour of group cardio once a week, and 40ish minute toning/cardio DVDs three times a week
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I do about 3 hrs a week of cardio.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    We can tell you what we do, but it really depends on what fits in your schedule, what your goals are and what you can realistically stick to.

I'm down about 70lbs over 3 years, with about another 20-25 to go. I have two workouts per week that always happen and that I'm 100% committed to doing, but I'll workout up to 6 days a week when I have the time. The two workouts I commit to are running --other than in Winter, when I do insanely long Zumba sessions instead since I don't have a gym membership and try as I might I hate winter running.

If you're really struggling, I'd suggest committing to a program that requires regular exercise, but not overly exerting your body though constant incredibly intense routines (as general health appears to be your goal) -- think something like a Jillian Michaels workout (probably 30DS) or Insanity (again, depending on your goal) and stick with just that one workout plan. When you complete it, move to the next. It means you'll reasonably be working out 4-5 days per week in intense but short bursts (30-60minutes) so that you're not over exercising and its manageable to fit into your free time.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Right now, I'm training for a half marathon, so a bit more cardio than normal..... I'm running 5 days this week (between 3 - 10 miles = 30 total this week). I am also weight lifting, about 2-3 sessions of 30 minutes each. Some evenings I like to do yoga while watching TV too. I know this may all seem like a bit much, but since working out HARD over the last 6 months I've gotten pretty fit and find I just enjoy working out so much more! ;)
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I shoot for an hour of solid aerobic activity at least three times a week. Don't always make it, but that's the minimum I aim for. I was doing body-weight circuit training on the "off" days, until I dorked up my lower back. Didn't feel anything amiss while working out, just came up lame in the AM. Hope to add that back to the aerobic workout soon....
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I am currently working out with a trainer 3 days a week for 1 hour. We do strength training, stretching and some short HIIT sessions. 2 days a week I do HIIT sessions for 25 minutes and then 1 day a week I do Active Recovery for 45 minutes, it is cardio but not as intense as the HIIT sessions.

I have been doing this for 10 weeks. What a huge difference it has made in my life and my progress. I feel strong, content, sleep well, eat well and look forward to every day now.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I try to do at least an hour of activity a day, whether it's cardio or weightlifting or both.
  • ceruleanmuse
    ceruleanmuse Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My working out has gone down since I started grad school. I lift three to four days a week, walk 10,000+ steps five days a week, and HIITs twice a week.
  • yogaveg
    yogaveg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with an eating disorder and a huge part of that was over exercise. Right now I am maintaining my weight but eating according to my hunger cues and doing exercise outside of the gym! I do yoga of varying intensities 4-6x a week, rock climbing x2, and generally go on some sort of walk, hike, or bike ride once a week (: it works for me to stay out of the gym and focus on activities that i really enjoy
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    6 days a week ..saturday is 100% rest day ..I lift heavy and mix in some cardio and ab work as well...
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I aim to hit 5 miles walking a day, regardless. And I also tend to go to the gym 5-6 times a week for a duration of 70-90 minutes. I workout very intensely when there, as in, it can be uncomfortable and I am dripping sweat by minute 11-12. I do a combination of elliptical set on a high intervals level, running and weights. I also cycle if the weather is up to it, and need to get back into the boxing/martial arts classes I used to do.

I get periods of time where I totally slip off the exercise wagon, sometimes for weeks, but I always get back to it eventually and have to put in the sustained effort to get back to where I was, in terms of fitness and bodyfat %.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Lift about 4 hours a week. Cardio about 2 and a half? Wow that doesn't sound like much.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am lifting 4-5 days a week for 45-60 minutes and doing 30-60 minutes of cardio 5 days a week and on off days I walk or hike with the kiddos. Something active but easy on the joints and relaxing.