Running shoes

Options
'Till now I've been running in my shape ups which isn't very good and I'm thinking about buying new ones, I had in mind the Skechers GoBionic , are they good? Do you advice any shoes in particular?

No nike shoes, for some reason all the nike shoes I owned over the years (about 15 pairs) always hurt my ankles when I run.

Replies

• Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have been running for years and I have found Asics running shoes are the most comfortable!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you have a good running store in your area, go in and see if they offer a fitting. Many have a treadmill and will watch or film you running to analyze your stride, gait and all that, and can help fit you with the best shoe for your needs.

If you can't do that, go to a store where you can at least try on many different ones, jog around the aisles a bit if nothing else. Everyone is different, some people swear by Nike, but like you said, they hurt your ankles, so they're not for you. So far I've always had Asics and I love 'em, other people go with other brands, just depends on your foot and your running needs.

Good luck!
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Brooks are by far the best shoe i have ever worn. I'll never look back!
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    No two people have the same feet or the same body mechanics. What works for me, may be disastrous for you.

Seek professional help and go to a reputable running store to get fitted. Pay the extra money for their expert advice and get what is right for you. After you know what works, you can save money if needed and buy replacement pairs online or at a discount. But getting the right shoes is essential to minimize the risk of injury.
  • Wjolaughlin
    Wjolaughlin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am loving my Asics!
  • 13donna1
    13donna1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello I have Adidas running shoes. I went to my local "Runners" store here in Michigan and they did a gait analysis on me to find the perfect shoes for you. I spent 100.00 to 125.00 for good running shoes. Yes, expensive but, so worth it! All the Best :smile: :smile:
  • leanne0605
    leanne0605 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a running store and get fitted. I have a pair of Brooks that I love
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, get fitted at a running store. If there isn't one in your area, look on RunnersWorld.Com. They have a tool to find good shoes for you. Be prepared to answer questions about pronation and arch height! I've owned several different pairs of stability shoes and I have to say for a beginning runner, Adidas Supernovas have been great. But, like others have said, every foot requires a different shoe.
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    most running stores around here offer a gait analysis for free and are happy to do it, they will advise you on the correct shoes for you... love my brooks, havent the heart to throw them away so I have a historical record hehe
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The best thing I ever did was to go to a real running store and get professionally fitted. There is no "best" brand, it depends on your feet and how you move. That said, my feet (and knees and shins!) love my Asics!
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing Saucony for 3 years. I love them
  • m_a_b
    m_a_b Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Problem with most running shoes is that they encourage bad posture and poor running techniques and so increase the strain on the angle, knee and hip joints. It may be worth considering shoes such as the Vivobarefoot
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Problem with most running shoes is that they encourage bad posture and poor running techniques and so increase the strain on the angle, knee and hip joints. It may be worth considering shoes such as the Vivobarefoot

The thing with barefoot running (shoes) or minimalist running shoes is it really takes about a year to adjust to them without hurting yourself; if you've been wearing traditional running shoes all along.
    I learned the hard way, you don't just buy them and jump in.
    If your tendons are used to an elevated heel in your running shoes, dropping to none or near none can cause havoc on your Achilles.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If you have a good running store in your area, go in and see if they offer a fitting. Many have a treadmill and will watch or film you running to analyze your stride, gait and all that, and can help fit you with the best shoe for your needs.

If you can't do that, go to a store where you can at least try on many different ones, jog around the aisles a bit if nothing else. Everyone is different, some people swear by Nike, but like you said, they hurt your ankles, so they're not for you. So far I've always had Asics and I love 'em, other people go with other brands, just depends on your foot and your running needs.

Good luck!

It's. what's right for one person isn't necessarily right for the next.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

The thing with barefoot running (shoes) or minimalist running shoes is it really takes about a year to adjust to them without hurting yourself; if you've been wearing traditional running shoes all along.
    If your tendons are used to an elevated heel in your running shoes, dropping to none or near none can cause havoc on your Achilles.

That's not the case with everyone. I ran in Asics Kayano & had to stop due to thyroid problems. I was on the couch for about 2 years and gained a lot of weight.

I started running again at the end of January in NB Minimus and have not looked back. Other than aching feet for a few weeks, no problems. (I weighed around 230+ then) I now weigh 221 & running about 75 miles a month. I tried to run in the Kayano a few weeks ago and after about 1/4 mile had to return home and change into the Minimus. It was like running in clunky boxes. LOL

Recently a novice runner on my FL switched to the Minimus and she hasnt had any problems.

I think one's foot plant determines if there will be a long transition period to minimal shoes. I am a mid foot runner & although I am over weight, I run light. I urge everyone to try running minimalist/barefoot, it's the only way to go.

I gotta tell ya, at 221lbs I now run like an animal....a penguin!
  • Emisole
    Emisole Posts: 65
    Options
    It definitely depends on your foot and your arch, but I l don't think I'll ever buy anything but Nikes ever again. They're so lightweight.
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

You've already been given this advice a few times but I'm going to give it to you again because it is the best running advice you will ever get.

1. Find a proper running shop
    2. Go and get a gait analysis done
    3. Buy the shoes that are appropriate for your feet dependant on your gait.

Lots of people will tell you to buy one type of shoe over another but they have no idea how you run, whether you over or under pronate, or what is appropriate for YOU!

The difference between buying the right shoe for you and any old shoe will be significant. You will run better, your legs and feet will thank you and potentially you will save lots of money by not having to going to physio's because you have wrecked your knees or ankle from running in the wrong shoes.

Think of running shoes as being as individual as a prescription from your doctor. What works for one person may not work for you so go and get the gait analysis done. It wont be cheap BUT it will be cheaper than having the medical costs later on!
  • johnknappcc
    johnknappcc Posts: 28
    Options

That's not the case with everyone. I ran in Asics Kayano & had to stop due to thyroid problems. I was on the couch for about 2 years and gained a lot of weight.

I started running again at the end of January in NB Minimus and have not looked back. Other than aching feet for a few weeks, no problems. (I weighed around 230+ then) I now weigh 221 & running about 75 miles a month. I tried to run in the Kayano a few weeks ago and after about 1/4 mile had to return home and change into the Minimus. It was like running in clunky boxes. LOL

Recently a novice runner on my FL switched to the Minimus and she hasnt had any problems.

I think one's foot plant determines if there will be a long transition period to minimal shoes. I am a mid foot runner & although I am over weight, I run light. I urge everyone to try running minimalist/barefoot, it's the only way to go.

I gotta tell ya, at 221lbs I now run like an animal....a penguin!

Wow, I had Keyano 19's, custom fit orthotics, and terrible IT band / left knee pain - I think they made the pain even worse. Switched to the New Balance <=>, (no idea what they are actually called), with the Vibram barefoot sole, huge difference, no more pain! I thought I was the only one.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm a Brooks girl! They're the Cadillac of running shoes. Best thing is to go to a running store during a sale time and get fitted. I saved 25% on my last pair of Brooks.