Almost senior citizen and body-building

Options
Great day everyone.

I'm nearing my 55th lifeday and I've lost 60 plus pounds. I lost the weight from February to June. I've maintained my weight between 190 and 195 for the past 4 months. My WiiFit tells me I'm still overweight, but that's another topic.
I want to accomplish two things and they might be related. I want to shed this loose skin that still remains and I want to tone up. I'm also getting hungry more frequently than I was while I was losing.
Any exercise suggestions to build this old body and a recommended menu that will help shoot down the hungries while fueling the body building?

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Shedding loose skin gets harder as you age, and it tightening back up is a matter of the genetics for doing so and skin elasticity. I've heard said keeping hydrated and a moderately-high fat diet helps but my experience has been less tan wonderful with it.

If by 'tone' and 'body building' you mean adding muscle, that means weight lifting. Check out the Starting Strength and Stronglifts programs and go at them. Unfortuantely, to continue to make progress on either means eating more, putting on weight, and necessarily putting on fat.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I've seen some "seniors" get buff …you can do it! (skin..loofa..coconut oil..and massage)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm also 54 and been maintaining a while. Loose skin is down to luck of the draw, genetics and how overweight you were and for how long. I only lost 37lbs but have a little loose skin - but that's better than a fat body with tightly stretched skin! :smile:

The necessity to bulk (gain weight) to build muscle is vastly over-stated for the general population. Not many of us are very lean and at their training peak. I would say remain at maintenance calories and ride out your "newbie" (or returning to training) gains. If your progress stalls before you get to your goal then that's the time to start thinking about calorie surplus. Your training is far more important than running a calorie surplus IMO. Age is also a factor for speed of progress and recovery, what is appropriate for a teenager or someone in their 20's doesn't work quite the same. 30 years ago I could build muscle fast with half-hearted training programs and no regard to diet, oh happy days!

If you don't have injury restrictions then try and pick a well known weight lifting program concentrating on the classic compound exercises. If your priority is strength gains go for a strength program, if your priority is muscle building go for a hypertrophy program.

As for hunger, many people find higher protein and fat levels more filling. Personally I can always eat more than my maintenance calories and messing around with macros doesn't change that. More exercise means more food - which is a win/win for me.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've been using The New Rules of Lifting for Life, which is designed for us older folks. Even if you don't like the exercise programs in the book (I do but ymmv), I recommend it highly for theory and technique. Another plus is that you can begin at home with minimal equipment. (I have a step, a few dumbbells, and resistance bands.)
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Ah, the pleasures of being over 50! I would echo the other posters - lift heavy. Unless you are coming off an injury or illness I wouldn't let age hold you back. There are people on this site that are in the 50 and 60 and look absolutely fantasic because of weight training. I would start with the basics (squats, lunges, bench presses, etc.) and start relatively low until you get the technique perfect and then go progressively higher. I found that sessions with a trainer helped me with technique but some find videos on youtube just as helpful. Push yourself hard and you will see results - this old age thing isn't for sissies ;)
  • CoachMac60
    CoachMac60 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have no objections to adding a few pounds as long as this excess skin goes away. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep researching looking for additional details.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    CoachMac60 wrote: »
    Great day everyone.

I'm nearing my 55th lifeday and I've lost 60 plus pounds. I lost the weight from February to June. I've maintained my weight between 190 and 195 for the past 4 months. My WiiFit tells me I'm still overweight, but that's another topic.
    I want to accomplish two things and they might be related. I want to shed this loose skin that still remains and I want to tone up. I'm also getting hungry more frequently than I was while I was losing.
    Any exercise suggestions to build this old body and a recommended menu that will help shoot down the hungries while fueling the body building?

HAHAHAHA ... you know ... I read the title of the thread and was expecting a 80 something. ;) PFFFFT 50s is the new 40s dude!

Other than trying a myriad of lotions and weights I'm really not sure what can be done about the loose skin. And of course it also depends how much of it there is.

I agree with the other posters ... lift heavy to build a little bulk and maybe filling in some of the loose skin. BUT ... if you have never seriously lifted before I'd STRONGLY recommend to take a basic class or a few sessions with a trainer to ensure good form while lifting. The last thing you want is to get injured.

Protein, Protein, Protein (lean). Egg Whites, Chicken, Turkey etc. ... will stave help you to feel more satisfied longer between meals &/or snacks.

Good luck!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I been in maintenance since January. I'm at the high end of my BMI but am satisfied at this weight. I started All Pro's weight routine in July (actually Feb. but stopped and started again). Program is designed to split the gains between strength and mass.

Whichever program you choose start low focusing on form over gains. For the first month I focused solely on core strengthening, no weights. I think this has helped me avoid lower back issues.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am in my 50's as well, and it just takes time. I lost over 90 pounds, so I feel you!
    Stay on track and just allow your body to tone up. Below is my own process of fat loss at the very same weight after I reached my weight loss goals....
    pz6udj4mvttf.png
  • warriorguy
    Options
    As an 82 yr old male, I'd see use strength training for toning and keeping fit, but at 55 you don't need more body building.....the more you build the more clothes changing, and the more you age the less you will be able to keep the same strength training....so why mass up? If its your gung ho, do it, but I prefer to just keep strong enough so I don't wobble when I walk. LOL
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm 67 and over my muscle is loose skin. I didn't lose a ton of weight so I would like to see the six pack I think I have. ;-) However, it's not too unattractive and everthing fits pretty well.

I have been doing laser treatments for my face and recently started an experimental process for my batwings, which are the only things that I really hate. It looks like it's working more or less. I notice my arms are firmer and when I flex my muscles my loose skin goes away, which it didn't do before.
  • MoochieRama
    MoochieRama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm 52, getting back in shape. ;o
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and do heavy weight lifting and run. I don't have a ton of loose skin, but it has become more toned over the last year.