What to eat to get stronger bones ?

Options
I know calcium is important for strong bones, yet since I'm on a diet I don't eat dairy products at all, or very rarely, nor I drink milk. I was thinking about taking some multivitamins. What's your opinion ?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Strength training is one of the best ways to increase bone density.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Weight bearing exercises
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Calcium isn't the only imporant nutrient - you also need Vitamin D and healthy fats. Vit D helps absorb calcium and fats help absorb Vit D. Even foods high in calcium (leafy greens, sardines, almonds) don't really contain that much so you may want to talk to your doctor about taking a supplement.

And as KarenJanine pointed out, exercise is also vital. Not just strength training but any cardio that involves weight bearing impact like walking, running, dancing, jump rope, stair climbing, etc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Dairy isn't the only good source of calcium. White beans, dark leafy greens, sardines, salmon, as well as fortified cereals, breads and milk alternatives can be good sources. Omega 3 has also been shown to help with bone health, making sardines and salmon an even better choice. As mentioned above, vitamin D is also important. If you are eating a good variety of vegetables, you may be getting what you need.

And, as also mentioned above, you need resistance training to maintain bone health as you age. If you don't like weights, there are many other ways to provide resistance. Jumping is a great way to preserve bone.