Workout Books

I'm looking for workout books that provide advice on setting up your own general workouts. I use a trainer today and want to move out into planning my own workouts. My first thought was something like "Workouts for Dummies" or "Idiot's guide to workouts." I searched the threads and they showed some recommendations for some specifics - like barbell training or getting huge - I just need to be more educated on strucutring workouts so I can learn more from my trainer and move on to building my own 3x/week sessions for general fitness.

Your recommendations?

Replies

• April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    I like "The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises" and Jillian Michael's "Making the Cut: The 30-Day Diet and Fitness Plan for the Strongest, Sexiest You"
    Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • April0010
    they also have the Men's health Big book of Exercises
    (just looked at your profile) :D
  • April0010
    Also try bodybuilding.com. They have several workout routines you can pick and choose. Lots of great info on that site.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Karen Voight wrote a book which I remember liking a lot.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    edited October 2014
    April0010 wrote: »
    I like "The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises" and Jillian Michael's "Making the Cut: The 30-Day Diet and Fitness Plan for the Strongest, Sexiest You"

Thanks for the suggestion.. I just went to Amazon and purchased this.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    This is a slight departure from what you're asking for, but it could still fit: Bigger Leaner Stronger by Mike Matthews. Below is a link to his website which is worth looking at whether you buy the book or not. The book is available on the site, as well as on Amazon. I got mine in audio format on audible.com.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/

PS: the book recommends specific exercises, along with recommendations on frequency, intensity, length of workouts, maximizing hypertrophy, and nutrition.
  • harasezza
    harasezza Posts: 5 Member

I have The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises which has really come in handy if I'm trying to think of new exercises to do. It also teaches you about each muscle group, and in the back of the book it offers ideas/charts for different goals you may have and what exercises work well together.

I also purchased a few of Jackie Warner's illustrated exercise books (which you can find in the bargain section at Barnes and Noble), which have also been useful.
  • April0010
    shellma00 wrote: »

Thanks for the suggestion.. I just went to Amazon and purchased this.

Awesome! You're welcome ;)
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    I'm with Jim. Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by Mike Matthews is really great. Also Strong Curves by Bret Contreras. Both available on Amazon. Both yielded great results for me.
  • ddarpel
    ddarpel Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks all. After reading the samples of the books suggested on Amazon, I think the "Men's Health Big Book of Exercises" meets what I am looking for. Even in just the first few chapters in the preview I learned a ton. I can tell how my trainer has been working me through the same (or similar) routine. It also looks like it goe through an overview of the major muscle groups. all in all a great starter for me.

Thanks again everyone!