Fitbit Flex Question

Options
2»

Replies

• 0torque0
    0torque0 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    i follow the low-tech solution - i take it off when i do other work outs and record those in MFP to get a better workout picture. but i think the key is to be consistent in whatever you do. Regarding the accuracy, I think it is a little high but not by much. i counted out 100 steps and my fitbit recorded 104 so that is close enough for me.
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When you do a work out, whether you use a HRM, MFP exercises or something else, record what time you started.

Then, when you enter the exercise into MFP, make sure that you enter the time you started and the total time - that will then sync with the Fitbit app and 'cancel out' any steps that the Flex records during that particular time.

Others have also reccommended noting your stride length in Fitbit - its fairly simple; mark a start place on the ground, put the heel of your right foot against the start mark and walk 10 normal steps. Mark a finish mark where the heel of your right foot hits the ground. Divide the total distance walked by ten - that is your stride length. Do it a couple of times to get an average and voila - your stride length.

Also reccommended has been to set MFP to negative logging - this means that if you have a really slow day and the Fitbit doesn't pick up a lot of movement, it will sync with MFP and actually lower the calorie consumption target for the day.

Basically, read the help literature for both MFP & Fitbit, have fun exercising and don't stress too much about the accuracy of the steps counted and have a play around with syncing and the settings in both MPF and Fitbit.

Finally, if you really don't like having Fitbit sync with MFP, you can unlink them and manually enter the steps for the day from your Flex into MFP. This of course means that you won't get things like weight, water consumption, calorie consumption and active minutes transferring from MFP to Fitbit and vice versa.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    There are easier, more accurate ways to measure stride length. Walk a known distance like a city mile or quarter mile high school track. Divide the distance in feet by your number of steps as counted by your Fitbit. The result is your stride length in feet.

All it effects on the Fitbit is your distance estimate, not your calories, too. So if you don't care about the distance walked estimate, it's probably fine as is.