How do you know if your doing a squat right?

Options
124»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    My hams are never sore after squatting. Gluteus Maximus and quads only, even when driving through my heels.

I was starting to think I was the only one!!!

No ma'am. Most people I talk to are the same. The people in this thread are just weird.

*staring at dbmata*

LOL yeah but his leg workout day is crazy.

No. A crazy leg workout day is doing deads and squats. Dbmata's leg day is bat chit clown shoes crazy. No wire hangers crazy. Nuttier than squirrel chit crazy.

I'm out of colorful expressions.....

This is true.

I'm fascinated by 100s at the moment. Result, I'm calling off the leg session tonight. Shaky, heart rate 30% higher than normal, can't stay awake.

Getting sick?

Naw, my last three days were all high volume and high weight, and that swim last night plum tuckered me out. I just think I really need a rest.

Eating has brought my heart rate down to 80.
  • dbmata
    Options
    sam - looks like my understanding of the hamstring contribution was off, thanks for correction. I'm researching more now, but my understanding was that it was the primary extensor, and I paired that with my own observations that during the downward movement of the squat, my quads are all engaged, and I don't tend to feel much from my hams, even when going slow and near my 1RM.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    sam - looks like my understanding of the hamstring contribution was off, thanks for correction. I'm researching more now, but my understanding was that it was the primary extensor, and I paired that with my own observations that during the downward movement of the squat, my quads are all engaged, and I don't tend to feel much from my hams, even when going slow and near my 1RM.

You're right, your quads should definitely be engaged in the negative as well. In the eccentric they are resisting or slowing down the negative. But yes, the hamstring complex is definitely responsible for knee flexion and the quadriceps group responsible for knee extension.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=wPqgkJiVJjs

I use this video to check myself from time to time.
  • dbmata
    Options
    If I stopped at Tony's depth on my squats, I know my trainer wouldn't count them as a rep.
  • jdhcm2006
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If I stopped at Tony's depth on my squats, I know my trainer wouldn't count them as a rep.

I use it to make sure my technique is right b/c I know for sure I didn't use to do them right b/c my knees were always killing me. But now that I can do them right, I can go lower and get a really good burn out of it. This was also an instructional video. I know in one of his workouts, he makes you lower down until you get your palms on the floor.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Honestly, I'm being kind here... you should look at the video of what I posted earlier over Horton. I'd personally prefer the knowledge of a professional coach and known quantity over a tv trainer.

Just me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

I use it to make sure my technique is right b/c I know for sure I didn't use to do them right b/c my knees were always killing me. But now that I can do them right, I can go lower and get a really good burn out of it. This was also an instructional video. I know in one of his workouts, he makes you lower down until you get your palms on the floor.

take a video of yourself doing your squats and post up for some review- honestly you can only self *kitten* by feel so much- I video myself at least once a month to check for any fatal flaws or areas that need work.

secondly barbell squats and body weight squats aren't the same- the mechanics "in theory" are the same- but the reality is- they aren't. So if you are talking about being able to put your palms on the floor- it's a different type of squat than a barbell squat- which is what most of us are discussing in this thread.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is to make sure you are coming down on your HEELS, not on your toes. I see a lot of people come down and their heels are off the floor....lol. That puts a lot of pressure on your toes/knees......
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

take a video of yourself doing your squats and post up for some review- honestly you can only self *kitten* by feel so much- I video myself at least once a month to check for any fatal flaws or areas that need work.

secondly barbell squats and body weight squats aren't the same- the mechanics "in theory" are the same- but the reality is- they aren't. So if you are talking about being able to put your palms on the floor- it's a different type of squat than a barbell squat- which is what most of us are discussing in this thread.

I know a lot of people are talking about barbell squats, but the OP never said whether they were doing barbell squats or regular squats. So that's why I posted the video so they had both views of squats.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Friends don't let friends horton their back.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    After Horton tried to sell, and was unfortunately successful, the concept of "Muscle Confusion" I refuse to pay attention to that fool; he's right up there with Dr. Oz.