Mardi Gras

Options
2»

Replies

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to Nola in 13 years :( I'll cook up some red beans and rice and maybe order a king cake (last time Gambino's left out my baby *grrr*)

Second vote for King Cake. Great for the office so you don't eat too much of it! Of course, you have to warn the non-NOLA folks about the baby. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Fingers crossed to go out for it this year!! Buffalo throws one hella bash and they have a trolley bus to all the clubs!! Of course, most of us here will still be hung over from St. Patty's day on Sunday(Big Parade and drunk fest day)

Although, my current plans will be with me on a plane going down to Florida to see family for a week.

But one never knows how plans might change... or be delayed
  • GulfcoastAL
    GulfcoastAL Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    klkateri wrote: »
    Fingers crossed to go out for it this year!! Buffalo throws one hella bash and they have a trolley bus to all the clubs!! Of course, most of us here will still be hung over from St. Patty's day on Sunday(Big Parade and drunk fest day)

Although, my current plans will be with me on a plane going down to Florida to see family for a week.

But one never knows how plans might change... or be delayed

Cool- didn't know about Buffalo doing that- that's great! I would love to experience an East Coast St. Patrick's Day.

• GulfcoastAL
    Options
    I haven't been to Nola in 13 years :( I'll cook up some red beans and rice and maybe order a king cake (last time Gambino's left out my baby *grrr*)
    yum- Red beans and rice.... I need to start making some. Love me some Gambino's king cake.
  • Kisuke30
    Kisuke30 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm excited to celebrate it. Red beans and rice, king cake, hand grenades... lol
  • GulfcoastAL
    Options
    Kisuke30 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm excited to celebrate it. Red beans and rice, king cake, hand grenades... lol

yikes, how many calories are in Hand Grenades?!?!

Someone asked about what is Mardi Gras. It's got some celebrations all over the USA now, but it was the Boeuf Gras (think Carnivale) celebrations of the French and Spanish who settled here on the Gulf Coast that began it all. The first one in a "town" was held by the French in Ocean Springs, MS (later moved and became Biloxi) in 1699. (Yes, also in LA at Mardi Gras Point- but that was just a campground for the French, not a true settlement). Next was the then-capital in Mobile, Alabama in 1703. Finally, New Orleans which wasn't founded until 1718. The first societies were founded in Mobile in those early 1700's, and Cowbellions de Rakin members of Mobile helped Krewe of Comus in New Orleans get their start. Back then, there was a lot of back and forth between the two port cities due to the cotton brokerages- there still is today as well.

Traditionally, years ago, there were no parties during the mosquito season due to Yellow Fever. So we are just getting started because nothing has changed. I've got a ball the first week and last week of November (when the debutantes will be presented).

Weight- wise, Mardi Gras is really motivating to me. I know that I gained 10 lbs last year because I had to play a different part in my mystic society (or what some of you know as a Krewe ). Usually, I wear a short mini-skirted float/ball costume and I get in gear for that by doing a lot of running prior. Gets me motivated to make my old lady knees look better.

Although, in the meantime, I'm looking forward to Halloween. A few friends throw a massive party with a band in a downtown historic district, albeit it is not in New Orleans. I live in the 2nd city founded. It would be a great less expensive, first-time trip with a small city feel, especially if you aren't into too much crazy.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    I throw a Pardi Gras at my house .......everything decorated with items I collected while being at Mardi Gras a cple years ago.

Waiting for my invite. lol.
    of course you can come.......I even have masks for those that forget haha.
    but first my halloween booze bash.......it can never be outshined =)

My fav....party crasher here. ♥
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    As long as I don't have to go back to New Orleans, sure!