Looking for some advice... Can't seem to lose (or even maintain) weight.

Options
At the end of high school, weighed about 130lbs. During my first 14 months of college, I am not at 162lbs. I don't know how this is happening or how to fix it, so I am looking for some advice.

I eat fairly healthy for a college student - plenty of fruits and vegetables and I limit my bread (I only eat bread on the days I am working out). In addition, I only have sweets like candy or ice cream or pop on the weekends. I drink on average 10 cups of water per day and I focus on getting plenty of protein in my diet. I work out 4-5 times per week, usually running. I usually run 2-3 miles and do lunges, push-ups, sit-ups, and planks. When I have time I do more strength training. I get about 7.5-8.5 hours of sleep every night and when I had a Fitbit, I was walking over 10,000 steps a day, not including my workout.

I have been on antidepressants since middle of high school and currently take Zoloft for depression/anxiety.

I don't see a reason why I should be gaining weight. About a month ago I went to the doctor (a new doctor, closer to my house) and he told me all about diet, exercise, and water. I told him everything I mentioned above so he said he didn't think it was my thyroid but they would test it anyways. In addition, he suggested taking me off my antidepressants because they might be the cause of my weight gain. I had a mini panic attack and didn't go back to discuss my medication. My test results came back normal.

I don't know where to go from here. People have told me I just need to eat better and work out more, as in work out twice a day, every day. I always make time to work out 4-5 times a week, but there is no way I can work out twice a day with school, work, and volunteering.

If you have any advice, please let me know! Thanks :)

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Do you log your food? If not, how do you know you aren't eating too much?
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Yes, please share your menu/diary with us. No way we can help without some details. But it certainly seems like you are working out enough.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Log everything you eat.

Calculate your TDEE. Total Daily Energy Expenditure. That is how many calories you use just getting through the day.

Subtract 500 from that number. That is how many calories you should have each day to lose 1 pound per week.

But you won't know if you hit your numbers unless you log consistently and accurately.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale that you use to log your meals?
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    You probably don't need to eat 'better' per se, you probably just need to eat less. If you're gaining weight, you have a caloric excess, caused by..ahem, eating too much :)

Many people seem to feel that when they're extremely energetic and/or working out, that they can consume more food. This is true, but if this repeatedly runs towards eating more than you're burning, than you gain. And 'healthy' food can be just as easy to overeat as 'bad' food.

Get a scale, weigh/log everything. Move more :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What the others have said you sound as though you have a health diet and active life, but are you logging everything so you know the final total of what you are consuming and what you are burning? We or you need that information to know if you are eating at a deficit and in which case you should be losing weight or in suprplus in which case you gain it. You are gaining weight which suggests that despite your healthy diet that you are eating more than you think and burning less than you think.

Weighing and logging your food is the way to go and then aim for a deficit using mfp. We think you will lose then. Try this for 4 weeks and see where you go.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eat less (and cut the candy and junk) and move more.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Eat less, use MFP to count your calories and see what you're really consuming.

I went to college and didn't overeat and got good exercise but then nightly blackout drinking also happened and I gained weight. Any beers?

And good for you for keeping priorities straight and not going off your meds.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What you eat is far less important than how much you eat (for weight issues). Do you have any idea how much you're eating, i.e. how many calories you're consuming? It doesn't matter how healthy the calories are... too many cals is too many cals.

Eat less and see what happens, or log your food and count you calories so you have a better sense of what's going on.
  • vtroys
    vtroys Posts: 16
    Options
    Keep a food diary ... aka here on myfitnesspal & measure/weight everything or learn size comparisons so you can guestimate better.
  • DebHutton55
    DebHutton55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I didn't go to college but did gain 20 pounds in the next 2 yrs. I ate more than I did before, drank beer and although I didn't sit around, I probably didn't move as much as I did in H.S. It's called the college 10 or 20 or whatever so many kids gain.

Even now, with a couple beers I know what the scale will say. Eat good, eat less and move. You meds are probably helping with the gain but if you need them, then work your diet out. Log your food on MFP. I don't use a scale to weigh my food. Just be realistic on what the size is. I don't understand people using a scale their entire lives. It's college, learn much and have fun. Just know that too much fun with eating and drinking costs you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat less
  • mrsmcmo
    mrsmcmo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I totally feel your frustrations! It could absolutely be the medication. I have experienced it for myself, and read about a TON of other people (I can't remember if it was on these boards, but I read a thread not too long ago about someone who was gaining weight on Zoloft, maybe try a google search) who also had that problem with that drug in particular. It sounds like you are eating quite well and exercising enough, however to know that you are not over eating (even if it is on the "right" foods), you need to log your calories. This means weighing and measuring everything that goes into your mouth. I would both a) see my doctor about changing medications and b) start logging food and exercise religiously. I'm sorry you're dealing with this, I have been there and it was no fun. I couldn't figure out why I was mysteriously gaining weight until my doctor told me it was likely the Zoloft. I changed to a different medication (I believe it was Effexor, but I'm not sure - this was about 10 years ago) and didn't have the same problem. I stopped gaining pretty much the second I was off Zoloft, but it took quite some time to lose the weight I did put on. Do NOT just stop the meds though, you will most likely suffer a terrible withdrawl. Make sure you have your doctor's supervision and advice.
  • charbieeee
    charbieeee Posts: 6 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't think that "eat less move more" is one size fits all answer. The human body is not a calculator, it is complex. Antidepressants do cause weight gain, though there is no definitive answer as to why. Switching meds could help you, but Zoloft is supposedly least likely to cause weight gains. If you track your calorie intake for a month and ensure a deficit, and are still gaining, I would go back to the doctor and keep digging. Thyroid, adrenals, PCOS, etc. . .
  • MABmom
    MABmom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you're doing everything "right" and still gaining it's either your body chemistry (although sounds like you've done the blood tests), a disease, or, in your case, probably the medication. Don't cause yourself more anxiety by freaking out about every calorie, mouthful of food, and second of exercise. Be honest with yourself, make sure you aren't splurging a bit too much or counting your exercise as more than you're actually doing. Beyond that, just talk to your doc. I know changing medications can be anxiety producing and if you're on something that works for you it's a rough decision to try and change. Hopefully you can figure out what works for you.
  • coryl_dork
    Options
    I'm absolutely shocked that everyone (aside from the poster above me) has told you to eat less, and not to look at the medications.

One of the possible side effects of antidepressants IS weight gain, and since you've been taking them from the middle of high school and your weight gain has been from high school to now, the medication could be responsible.

However, I also think you should be seeing how much food you're eating. It could be a combination of the medication and overeating.
    When I first started losing weight, I had zero grasp on portions and, though I ate healthily, I was still overeating.

Check in with the doctor and see if you can lower and eventually eliminate the antidepressants. If your mental well-being suffers without the medication, then do not--I repeat, do NOT--go off them just yet. Your mental well-being is more valuable than your weight loss.

Best of luck!
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    [q... In addition, he suggested taking me off my antidepressants because they might be the cause of my weight gain. I had a mini panic attack and didn't go back to discuss my medication. My test results came back normal.
    quote]

Some medication do cause weight gain. I suggest discussing this with your doctor.
  • mrsmcmo
    mrsmcmo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that there are other alternatives to the medication you are taking. SSRI's are notorious for causing weight gain, see what else your doctor recommends.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    At the end of high school, weighed about 130lbs. During my first 14 months of nocollege, I am not at 162lbs. I don't know how this is happening or how to fix it, so I am looking for some advice.

I eat fairly healthy for a college student - plenty of fruits and vegetables and I limit my bread (I only eat bread on the days I am working out). In addition, I only have sweets like candy or ice cream or pop on the weekends. I drink on average 10 cups of water per day and I focus on getting plenty of protein in my diet. I work out 4-5 times per week, usually running. I usually run 2-3 miles and do lunges, push-ups, sit-ups, and planks. When I have time I do more strength training. I get about 7.5-8.5 hours of sleep every night and when I had a Fitbit, I was walking over 10,000 steps a day, not including my workout.

I have been on antidepressants since middle of high school and currently take Zoloft for depression/anxiety.

I don't see a reason why I should be gaining weight. About a month ago I went to the doctor (a new doctor, closer to my house) and he told me all about diet, exercise, and water. I told him everything I mentioned above so he said he didn't think it was my thyroid but they would test it anyways. In addition, he suggested taking me off my antidepressants because they might be the cause of my weight gain. I had a mini panic attack and didn't go back to discuss my medication. My test results came back normal.

I don't know where to go from here. People have told me I just need to eat better and work out more, as in work out twice a day, every day. I always make time to work out 4-5 times a week, but there is no way I can work out twice a day with school, work, and volunteering.

You may not need the medications anymore. Consider working with a psychologist because you can gain skills to manage anxiety and depression. It sounds like you take good care of yourself and things may be different now than when you started medication. I'd recommend a CBT therapist and of course work with your doctor if you want to stop or change meds. Even just changing the med can make a difference.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    At the end of high school, weighed about 130lbs. During my first 14 months of nocollege, I am not at 162lbs. I don't know how this is happening or how to fix it, so I am looking for some advice.

You may not need the medications anymore. Consider working with a psychologist because you can gain skills to manage anxiety and depression. It sounds like you take good care of yourself and things may be different now than when you started medication. I'd recommend a CBT therapist and of course work with your doctor if you want to stop or change meds. Even just changing the med can make a difference.

Also remember med free may not be for everyone, and if you do try it, don't be afraid to go back on!
    I've found that exercise and changing up my intake has done wonders to improve my mood and keep me med free, as well as finding constructive ways to manage my anxiety/depression. If you do go down that route, definitely work with a doctor closely during the tapering process, and don't be afraid to ask to go back on them again if it does get hard to manage.

Med free definitely isn't the route for everyone, and I wouldn't do it if the only goal is weight loss. I managed my weight fine with a short stint on Ativan to transition onto Zoloft full time. Just watch your intake very closely, exercise, and listen to your body while you're on it. If one antidepressant/anxiety med isn't working or has bad side effects, see if you can go on another.