Losing Half of Your Weight

Options
2»

Replies

• joyThegymmonster777
    joyThegymmonster777 Posts: 52 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I started in the summer of 2012. I had no real knowledge of dieting or counting calories. The first 10 pounds came off really fast, then a year the next 15 came off (not really trying to lose a ton of weight just making some small lifestyle changes)...I gained 5 pounds then lost 5 pounds then gained 5...starting working out in March for like 10-15 min a day. Toke a college PE class over the summer and workout for a least 3-4 hours a week. I lost 10 pounds in three months!! So in the last year (July 2013 to now) I have lost around 23 pounds! :dizzy_face: I don't remember the last time I weighted this much!! It's overwhelming!

I'm looking to lose 15-20 more pounds to my goal weight; but this time I'm counting calories. This is very new to me so if you have any advice, I'm all ears!

• Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to do exactly that. I started at 280 pounds, my goal is 140 pounds, and I am currently down 64 pounds, so not quite halfway there.
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    It can be done. I started 2 years ago today and lost close to 70lbs and that's with getting pregnant and having a baby during this time. Just don't give up! Count your calories, don't cheat yourself and move more.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Amazing and very inspirational. Congrats and thank you so much for sharing.
    BigMech wrote: »
    I'm 6'6" and started at 490lbs. I got down to 230lbs, and I've added muscle since then, and I'm sitting at 242 as of this morning. It took my about 26 months to lose 260 lbs, and I've maintained for 2.5 years now. I lost the weight though calorie counting and exercise. No drugs, no surgery, and no crazy diets that forbid things. It was tough and a lot of work, but more than worth it!

This is me at 490 and then 230.
    before_and_after_4_sm.jpg

And a few pictures of in between.
    6_pictures_small.jpg

It can be done if you are dedicated and stick with it!

• TheSatinPumpkin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Wow I just noticed that i am one lb away of losing half my starting body (432lbs) weight.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My highest weight was 322. Starting MFP weight was 308.5. My goal weight was 175, and I maintain between 173 and 178. That's not quite half, but pretty darn close. I've now been maintaining for two years.

Pics and info here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1454303/2-years-of-maintenance-130-pounds-lost/p1
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 170 pounds, which is not only half my body weight, but will also put me at 170 pounds (That makes me excited because I'm a nerd...). I'm a touch over halfway there, having lost 103 pounds so far. It can definitely be done, and after coming so far I'm confident I can get there.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit. Exercise. Take it one day at a time and stay positive. Focus on the good you've done so far (days you've stayed under your calorie goal, weight lost so far) rather than the bad (days you've gone over, how much weight you have left to lose). It can be done. Just stay positive and focused. Remember your reasons why you want to lose weight if you're tempted to eat more than you should.

I also think something important is not to deprive yourself. If you want a treat, have it. But make sure you always stay under your calorie goal. This means you'll have to eat less than you used to but you can still eat what you enjoy. If you must drive thru, get a kids meal instead of a combo. Eat a small piece of cake instead of a big one. It's about portion control and about a lifestyle change and not a "diet." Because otherwise you'll constantly be tempted to eat the foods you're not allowed to eat, and then you'll gain the weight back as soon as you go off the "diet."

Some people have also found it helpful to trade certain foods out. Eat whole grains, fresh fruit and veggies. Minimize things like pizza and try to cut out soda if you can (regular soda is full of empty calories and diet soda is full of chemicals). Eat a small dessert (something that can fit in your hand) if you have any dessert at all. Save alcohol for weekends or special occasions, and even then only in moderation. On birthdays and holidays, it's okay to go a little over your goal, but plan for it (maybe skip eating or only eat a light snack if you know you'll be going out) and be sure to exercise to burn off the extra calories over the week (before your next weigh-in).
  • rach3649
    Options
    I will be losing nearly half my weight. I am starting at 115kgs and I eventually want to end up between 60-65kgs - reassessing as things get close. I am 5'7".
    I wish you all the best!! If you want another buddy feel free to add me :D
  • OneGoodBean
    OneGoodBean Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yay! I knew there had to be tons of other people out there doing the same thing I'm doing. I've only been doing MFP for about 5 weeks and have already lost 9 pounds. :) I always stay under my calories, I work out at least 3 times a week and I don't eat back my exercise calories. Things have really been going well and I know this is a lifestyle change, and so I am not getting frustrated. I've tried losing weight for years. I'm almost 30 and have been heavy since like 4th grade. This time something has changed and I know it's finally going to work! I'm hoping to get out of the THREE-OH-OH by my big THREE-OH in 3 months. I know I can do that. Shouldn't be too hard. Loving MFP. Thanks for all your support!
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose around half my body weight as well, as of Monday I was 19 down. Hoping to drop another 20 by my birthday in December. Like others have said, it's hard, but if you're dedicated it can be done, and you're worth it.
    Feel free to add me if you'd like for encouragement/support.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I started at 405 pounds in Feb. 2012. In September 2013, I hit 200 pounds which is more than 50% weight loss. I have maintained at 195-205 pounds for over a year now. It's possible to lose more than 50% of your weight but it takes time, patience, hard work, and a lot of self control.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started at 254 and am now maintaining right around 140 (give or take a few pounds), so I've lost about 45% of my weight.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Just passed losing half my starting body weight.
    SW: 432lbs (08/27/2013)
    CW: 215lbs (10/16/2014)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!