How to add up exactly how much calories you've burned in 24 hours? ?

Options
Basically, how to add up:
Calories burned,, BMR, gross calories etc?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You pretty much can't add it up exactly. All you can do is get a good estimate. Google "TDEE calculator".
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You can't. You can guess, but every body is different. There are many different kinds of math, but no matter how much of it you do, it's still just a rough guess. The proof is in the pudding. :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It is possible to actually figure this out, with a whole-room calorimeter.

But if you simply want to know what components you can estimate, here are the key elements:

RMR (resting metabolic rate) - what your body burns when you're at rest
    NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) - what you burn by daily activities other than exercise
    TEF (thermic effect of food) - energy required to digest food*
    EAT (exercise activity thermogenesis) - energy burned in purposeful exercise

TDEE = RMR + NEAT + TEF + EAT

* This can vary quite a bit. Carbs delivered as whole grains require more energy to digest than carbs delivered as simple sugars, for example.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Get a FitBit. It will be close enough.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The best way is to purchase an activity tracker (Fitbit, Jawbone, Polar Loop, etc.), but that's if you're willing to spend the money. It'll still be an estimation, but you'll have a better idea.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The best way is to purchase an activity tracker (Fitbit, Jawbone, Polar Loop, etc.), but that's if you're willing to spend the money. It'll still be an estimation, but you'll have a better idea.

But they don't take all workouts in consideration. There's an armband that does but the name escapes me...
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Get a FitBit. It will be close enough.

^THIS!!!! Lots of exclamation points, because it works great for me. Yes not all workouts are calculated using it (I must manually enter my body weight workouts, or a cardio exercise video, for example). But dang if it's not pretty spot on. A much better estimation than a "one size fits all" online calculator can ever do.