What one dietitian recommends

Options
Putting this out there to inform and get your reaction.

I joined a "biggest loser" group at my local gym, and we just had our first session with the dietitian. I found it interesting, as she didn't advocate a calorie counting regime (though she didn't oppose it). Instead, here's what she said

- eat carbs only in the morning and afternoon, no carbs at night
- aim for about 1 gram of carbs per pound goal weight
- women should eat one to two servings (15 grams per serving) of carb rich foods at breakfast and lunch and one with snacks. none with dinner. (so that's 75 grams of carbs a day)
- men should eat two to three servings of carbs at breakfast and lunch, and one to two with a snack.
- eat .5 to 1 grams of protein per pound of goal body weight
- women should eat 1 to 2 services of protein at breakfast and snacks, 3 to 4 ounces at lunch; men should eat 2 protein servicings at breakfast and snacks and 6 oz at dinner
- eat small amounts of healthy fat with every meal

So, just as a back of the envelope calculation, as a woman, with these limitations, I don't see how you can get up aboe 1200 cals a day. What do you think?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Carbs are NOT the enemy.

Eating certain things at certain times of the day really does not do much. Your body can't tell what time you ate xyz.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    So for dinner I'm just supposed to eat a slab of meat?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Was that a dietitian or a Nutritionist? My guess is a Nutritionist anyone with any Mickey Mouse qualification can call themselves a Nutritionist including the afore said mouse. Ignore her eat a balanced diet and you can probably eat a lot more than 1200 calories
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Not much use for those of us doing Intermittent Fasting really, and a load of rot in my opinion. I got incredibly fit and with a very low bodyfat whilst eating most of my carbs in the evening right up to bedtime.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    i73xossw1vpu.jpg

Please tell me you asked why no carbs at night. I would've laughed in her face for telling me that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If we eat carbs at night what? OH wait I saw that movie, it was Gremlins..
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

I second this. What would a sample dinner look like with NO carbs? Vegetables are carbs.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Not science based. Too carb reliant. It's not incorporating current understanding of nutrition. And where are the fruits and veggies.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Most dietitians excel at making what is simple very complicated.
    They want others dependent on their expensive services...and for a fee, one can sort through all this mess for you.

NO THANKS!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

I joined a "biggest loser" group at my local gym, and we just had our first session with the dietitian. I found it interesting, as she didn't advocate a calorie counting regime (though she didn't oppose it). Instead, here's what she said

- women should eat one to two servings (15 grams per serving) of carb rich foods at breakfast and lunch and one with snacks. none with dinner. (so that's 75 grams of carbs a day)
    - men should eat two to three servings of carbs at breakfast and lunch, and one to two with a snack.
    - women should eat 1 to 2 services of protein at breakfast and snacks, 3 to 4 ounces at lunch; men should eat 2 protein servicings at breakfast and snacks and 6 oz at dinner

So, just as a back of the envelope calculation, as a woman, with these limitations, I don't see how you can get up aboe 1200 cals a day. What do you think?

All women should weigh 75 lbs. Got it.
  • vtroys
    vtroys Posts: 16
    Options

I eat a lean protein and 2 veggies every night. Easy!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    vtroys wrote: »

:| Veggies are carbs.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options

Lost me already. I went ahead and read the rest for entertainment. No, no, no. This is why people have eating disorders.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Why do people (supposedly educated people) have to make things so complicated? Eat whatever you want at every meal as long as you are eating at a deficit every day!
    Easy Peasy
  • vtroys
    vtroys Posts: 16
    Options
    agal129 wrote: »

I second this. What would a sample dinner look like with NO carbs? Vegetables are carbs.

I think she means no bread, pasta, rice, etc.
  • NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    haha. nice catch Sullus -- i didn't even register that HUGE discrepancy.

Yeah, veggies don't count because they are mainly fiber and the carbs are ok in that instance. Fruit counts as carbs.

Yes, she's a registered dietitian.

And why yes, i DID ask why no carbs at night - -she said because it makes you feel bloated in the morning (wtf? how does that affect your weight). Dinner would be salad and a slab o meat and some fat.

I'm not following this btw. just seemed a little false to me and was wondering if anyone else had heard this. I like to limit my carbs because i am somewhat addicted to refined sugars and white flour, so the more I eat the more I want....
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    vtroys wrote: »

:| Veggies are carbs.

at 1.1g carbs per cup, can you really call spinach a "carb?"
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

All women should weigh 75 lbs. Got it.

HA! Nice catch.
  • NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    BTW!!!! she also recommends these calorie formulas for losing weight 10x goal weight for sedentary, 12 x for light exercise, (1-3 times a week), 14x for moderate exercise (3-5 times a week); 16 for vigorous exercise (6-7 times a week) 18x for daily exercise and physically demanding job. with thesenumbers I would gain!
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to hear you aren't following this. I don't even pay attention to my carbs. I end up burning off what ever I go over on anyway and I rarely go over on them.