Am I a grammar nazi?

Options
dramaqueen45
dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
Okay people, you LOSE weight, and then your pants are LOOSE. You don't loose weight, you really don't. I just had to say it somewhere. End of rant. B)

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This has been posted just about once a week since the forums began. But I'm sure this time will be the one post that sets everyone straight. Because it's never a typo or someone updating from their mobile device or a person for whom English is a second language (or third, or fourth, or fifth). We all just don't know any better and need to be shown the light. Thank you. Thank you. This will be the post that ends all of the annoying confusion.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    This has been posted just about once a week since the forums began. But I'm sure this time will be the one post that sets everyone straight. Because it's never a typo or someone updating from their mobile device or a person for whom English is a second language (or third, or fourth, or fifth). We all just don't know any better and need to be shown the light. Thank you. Thank you. This will be the post that ends all of the annoying confusion.

Once a week? Try once a day!

• SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Using the word, Nazi isn't bad grammar but it is in bad taste.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Using the word, Nazi isn't bad grammar but it is in bad taste.

Completely agree! Grammar police is a better term.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    deja vu
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree, that using Nazi in any context apart from discussing the German ruling party before and during WWII is in bad taste. I'm a veteran English teacher and am frequently annoyed by poor use of language. But I raised to mostly keep that to myself unless I have been hired to give you a grade.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Okay people, you LOSE weight, and then your pants are LOOSE. You don't loose weight, you really don't. I just had to say it somewhere. End of rant. B)

Spelling is not grammar..... and as a German and grand daughter of a survivor of the holocaust, I don't know how I feel about the use of the worrd " Nazi " in this context. Well, I know how I feel, but don't want to get into it here.
  • scare006jack37
    scare006jack37 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    yeah agreed with the english teacher
    ...unless you rape, torture, and kill semi-innocent minorities in grammar then i'd drop the use of nazi as well
  • Kisuke30
    Kisuke30 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    thank you... lol
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    _ronrob_ wrote: »
    ...unless you rape, torture, and kill semi-innocent minorities in grammar then i'd drop the use of nazi as well

Nice use of semi-innocent. That was both semi-accurate and semi-nice. :\

It's just proof, those who do not know history, are damned to repeat it.

• Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Miss_1999 wrote: »

It's just proof, those who do not know history, are damned to repeat it.

...and over use commas along the way. ;)

I probably did. Slept til noon yesterday, had three hours of sleep last night. It's catching up with me.

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I, freaking, love, commas,
  • SuninVirgo
    Options
    OP: Nothing wrong with making an apology to the people here you offended. It's the proper thing to do.
  • SuninVirgo
    Options

OH God help us ALLLLL.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    This one drives me crazy.
  • Mapanggulo
    Mapanggulo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I post a picture a few years back in another online forum that basically said something about "Spelling Nazi's" and got a temporary ban because of it from one admin. The main admin actually re-instated me after I asked what was up with that. The forum was US based/ran forum with one of the admins (the one that temp banned me) being from the UK. I didn't mean it in the literal sense but as way of poking fun at someone that always harped on spelling. Some people take the meaning "Nazi" literal because of history, where they live and their misunderstanding on how other cultures/countries talk. I think it's more sensitive and/or offensive word to use for people living in Europe than elsewhere.

Personally the word doesn't bug me and I don't usually care to correct others grammar or spelling...because I'm not perfect in that department.

I do find it funny though that countries that basically speak the same language (English) are so diverse in spelling, meaning and usage.
  • SuninVirgo
    Options
    Mapanggulo wrote: »
    I post a picture a few years back in another online forum that basically said something about "Spelling Nazi's" and got a temporary ban because of it from one admin. The main admin actually re-instated me after I asked what was up with that. The forum was US based/ran forum with one of the admins (the one that temp banned me) being from the UK. I didn't mean it in the literal sense but as way of poking fun at someone that always harped on spelling. Some people take the meaning "Nazi" literal because of history, where they live and their misunderstanding on how other cultures/countries talk. I think it's more sensitive and/or offensive word to use for people living in Europe than elsewhere.

Personally the word doesn't bug me and I don't usually care to correct others grammar or spelling...because I'm not perfect in that department.

I do find it funny though that countries that basically speak the same language (English) are so diverse in spelling, meaning and usage.

I'm Canadian, what the heck are you talking about??? Only Europeans don't like it?? And Of course I know what she was implying. But...ok. I will stop. This is useless!
This discussion has been closed.