Weight gain for dummies?

Options
So I was hoping someone would be able to give me some tips on how to gain weight. I'm 5'11 and still only weigh about 125. I have an awful diet to be honest and I'm relatively active. It seems no matter how much I eat I'm unable to put on any weight at all. I'm not really looking to use any supplements but if there's something that is effective I might consider it. I was on a weight gainer for about a year and it didn't help at all.

Replies

• KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    There is no great secret to gaining weight all you have to do is eat more calories then you burn. and doing that consistently. may be the best way is to start logging your calories then begin to bump them up gradually so that your not over whelmed immediate. so if for example you are currently eating 1500 calories per day next week try an eat 1600 per day every day. if you can do that then the following week eat 1700 per day. keep upping your calories until you start gaining weight at an acceptable level.

doing some form of resistance training (Eg lifting weights) will help to make some of that weight gain muscle rather then fat.
  • KevinWhite14
    Options
    My caloric intake ranges anywhere from 3500-5000 depending on the day. I'm assuming getting my calories from the right kind of foods would help more as well, correct? And I do a lot of different sports so would it be beneficial to cut back on the amount of cardio I do and change up my exercise?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Kind of food doesn't matter. Try to back off on some of the cardio and get a solid lifting plan. And eat ice cream.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    How do you know how much you are taking in? Those who don't gain, and I was one for years, are very bad at overestimation of intake. Start logging both intake and exercise then come back with the data so you will really know where you stand.
  • Davidfor230
    Options
    Do what I do and drink at least 20 ounces of soda every day. You'll gain plenty of weight quickly. Trust me, I'm a fatty.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Do what I do and drink at least 20 ounces of soda every day. You'll gain plenty of weight quickly. Trust me, I'm a fatty.

LMFAO! This totally made my day!

I eat all of my "allotted" calories every day...and then have a bowl of ice cream on top of it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    How do you know how much you are taking in? Those who don't gain, and I was one for years, are very bad at overestimation of intake. Start logging both intake and exercise then come back with the data so you will really know where you stand.

this. most people who are "hard gainers" just don't realize how much they really need.

I know a kid who blends slices of cheesecake into his smoothies b/c his metabolism is so high. Just like losing weight- you have to go the extra mile if you really want it.
    -
    Which means eat up my friend- beer ice cream wings doughnuts pizza bagels peanut butter are all your friend.

Hop to it.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I know a kid who blends slices of cheesecake into his smoothies b/c his metabolism is so high.

Yum!!!!
  • Phobos1618
    Phobos1618 Posts: 14
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Lift heavy weights doing a full body routine 3x a week and keep eating at 20% over your TDEE or more like you seem to be doing. Sleep at least 8 hours a day. Eat at least your LBM in protein daily. Nothing fancy required, heavy weights, lots of food, lots of rest.
  • KevinWhite14
    Options
    I've been using the fitness pal app thing to track my calories and I'm sitting right around 4000 typically. And I eat a lot lol I'm talking *kitten* food too like donuts cookies anything unhealthy really. Just can't find anyway to keep on any weight
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    I've been using the fitness pal app thing to track my calories and I'm sitting right around 4000 typically. And I eat a lot lol I'm talking *kitten* food too like donuts cookies anything unhealthy really. Just can't find anyway to keep on any weight

As has already been mentioned--cut back on the cardio.

If you want a more accurate picture of what you're burning in a day, I suggest investing in an activity tracker. I have a FitBit and I've been able to cut, bulk, and maintain using the data collected from it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited October 2014
    Options

Have you seen a doctor about a medical condition? If you are eating at that level at your weight then there maybe some underlying issue that needs to be addressed. There are people with faster metabolisms but even if you ran a marathon at 125lbs you wouldn't burn 2500 net calories at your weight and I'm doubting you are running marathons every day so there is something that doesn't seem to add up here.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options

Have you seen a doctor about a medical condition? If you are eating at that level at your weight then there maybe some underlying issue that needs to be addressed. There are people with faster metabolisms but even if you ran a marathon at 125 you wouldn't burn 2500 net calories at your weight and I'm doubting you are running marathons every day so there is something that doesn't seem to add up here.

I'm a 124 lb female and burned about 2500 calories running a marathon last year.

But, yeah, I'm wondering what all this cardio activity is.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating around that level? I was surprised to find out how long it took before I started to see the scale really move.

• KevinWhite14
    Options
    It's been a while that Ive been eating like this. I snack basically hourly and still have real meals 3-4 times a day. As for the cardio it's a lot of basketball football and soccer. Anything to stay active really. Genetically speaking my family is relatively thin all around. But I've always been much skinnier than the average relative. I didn't even break a hundred pounds until my senior year of high school and I was already 5'9 or so
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Have you seen a doctor about a medical condition? If you are eating at that level at your weight then there maybe some underlying issue that needs to be addressed. There are people with faster metabolisms but even if you ran a marathon at 125 you wouldn't burn 2500 net calories at your weight and I'm doubting you are running marathons every day so there is something that doesn't seem to add up here.

I'm a 124 lb female and burned about 2500 calories running a marathon last year.

It's about 2475 for net calories so technically we are both right. :D

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    It's been a while that Ive been eating like this. I snack basically hourly and still have real meals 3-4 times a day. As for the cardio it's a lot of basketball football and soccer. Anything to stay active really. Genetically speaking my family is relatively thin all around. But I've always been much skinnier than the average relative. I didn't even break a hundred pounds until my senior year of high school and I was already 5'9 or so

You do realize that your BMI would have a doctor considering you a likely anorexic. Have you spoken to a doctor about your inability to put on weight while eating the fridge?
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

It's about 2475 for net calories so technically we are both right. :D

HAHAHAHA!
  • PwrLftr82
    Options

You do realize that your BMI would have a doctor considering you a likely anorexic. Have you spoken to a doctor about your inability to put on weight while eating the fridge?

This.

Plus, why the need to "stay active?" Stop "staying active," start lifting, keep eating, repeat.
  • KevinWhite14
    Options
    Honestly I dont think my doctors believe me when I tell them what I eat haha they've always just said it's due to a fast metabolism