How do you stay motivated?

Options
mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member
edited October 2014 in Motivation and Support
As of late I have not really been feeling super motivated towards my diet and fitness. I have still stuck to my diet, and I still work out on a regular basis (4-5 days a week) but I do not seem obsessed over it like I was when I first started challenging myself to lose weight a couple months ago.

Maybe this is a good thing? It seems just like an every day part of my life now with out constantly researching weight loss and fitness online, or reading post after post on MFP. I do miss having that fire though, and although I am sticking to it pretty well, I think if I felt as motivated as I did when I first started I can do even better, maybe make better choices or go even harder at the gym.

Anyone else ever feel like this? What do you do to keep your fire going? I just wish inside I felt more passionate about it while I eat right, and excersize.

Replies

• LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've found that motivation comes and goes. Sometimes I'm full on, other times I really couldn't care. My solution is to not gain on the couldn't care periods and eventually I'll get motivation from somewhere and really want to get into it again.

Another thing I've found useful is trying to lose every week. That does require effort (and shifting Christmas day 2 days later this year because of Saturday weigh-ins) but I've managed 18 weeks in the past, hoping to reach goal weight with losses every week again.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i'm struggling... hard. right now what keeps me going is being able to have a ton of data to show my doctor next month, along with proof that i'm not just being lazy.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I had a week like you're having last week. I just got tired of it all, but you have to keep your eye on the prize.

Try setting mini-goals for yourself. Instead of looking at it as I have to lose x amount of weight, say I want to lose 5 lbs. by whatever date.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, like I do, staying strong is key. I set a larger goal at the beginning to have lost half of the weight I have to lose by Halloween. I'm definitely going to hit that goal, so that will be huge to get me into the 2nd half of my goal.

I also sometimes look at the success stories section to see pics of people. That helps inspire me and shows me that if they can do it, so can I.

Best wishes to you!
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym. Seeing people around me working out has been very motivating. I look forward to going, again, tonight. There are others trying to reach their own personal goals. I want to look better and feel better. I see others who have achieved it, already. They are physically about where I'd like to be. I know if I show up, like they do, and I put in enough effort at the gym and in the kitchen, I will exceed my own goals. You can, too.
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I like challenges, I like winning challenges lol Im competitive by nature so I entered the 90 challenge at my gym. That keeps me going. I have 2 1/2 weeks left to bust my tail. I also surf the crap outta pinterest and instagram. Seeing all the bodies that look how I want mine to look is a huge motivation for me.

Pounds lost are NOT a motivation for me though. I gain motivation by my fat% going down. Looking at old pics of me keeps me going too. I do not want to go back to that. We all have our yes's and no's on what motivates us. You just have to do a trial and error til you find yours.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    When I feel like throwing in the towel I call up my weight report for the past 30 days... it looks like the north face of Mount Everest going down towards base camp. Then when I actually SEE the progress I've made, I feel a lot more like sticking with it until I reach my goal.