Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Can increasing water consumption cause detox? If yes, how long does detox last?

2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    I used to drink about 5 bottles of 20 oz regular coke or cherry coke per week. So it probably is the caffeine withdrawal. I didn't even connect that.

Also, I had never heard of hyponatremia. Good information to know.

Thank you everyone.

Caffeine withdrawal can be pretty wicked. A full week seems kind of long to me for caffeine withdrawal symptoms to go on, especially when you weren't even having a bottle of soda every day, but I guess everybody is different.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,013 Member
    Caffeine withdrawal is a b!tch. I used to bring upwards of 10 Espressos a day, and coming off that was brutal. It will pass, and the water ought to help. Don't be afraid to take some painkillers, and Tylenol Migraine (if you're in the States) actually contains a bit of caffeine.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    In the last week or so I have been drinking a 101.4 FL OZ container of water everyday. Prior to this I was maybe only drinking one glass of water a day (if that). Besides having to pee every two seconds, I feel like I am detoxing really bad. While I understand that detox is natural when you are eating better and/or drinking more water, how long does detox last? I just don't want to feel like crap forever and these migraines are getting really bad! I'm sure a lot of it has to do with how many toxins are in your body (which will differ), but I want to get a general idea from others that have experienced this same thing.

No.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    3 liters is a bit high, but other than peeing too much probably won't harm you.
    (And it isn't doing a thing about the toxins in your body. Those are handled by the liver & kidneys. If those aren't functioning, there's nothing you can do but check in to a hospital.)

A discussion of some problems that can come from drinking too much water:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Here's a much more technical discussion of low sodium, with links to other related topics:
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/hormonal_and_metabolic_disorders/electrolyte_balance/hyponatremia_low_level_of_sodium_in_the_blood.html
  • tuckabeau
    tuckabeau Posts: 4 Member
    For healthy weight loss you should drink one half your body weight in ounces. Weigh 200 lbs. drink 100 oz. of water.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    tuckabeau wrote: »
    For healthy weight loss you should drink one half your body weight in ounces. Weigh 200 lbs. drink 100 oz. of water.

No.
  • janellevaught
    janellevaught Posts: 428 Member
    Once again, thank you everyone for your feedback.
  • janellevaught
    Had to convert that to litres as I have no idea how much a FL OZ is (Yes, we spell it "litre" in Australia). So that's only 2L . It's not like there's a start and a finish with a "detox" as such. It's just your body getting used to change. Stick with it and you'll feel better in time. I cut out wheat, dairy and coffee (I never really ate any sugar) all at the same time 3 months ago and although I felt crappy for the first week or 2, I feel so much better every day now.

Actually, it's more like 3L (assuming OP is in US). 1 cup, or 8 FL OZ, is 240 ml (or .24L) in the U.S. So 101.4/8 * .24 = 3.033L

Only bothering to point this out because people later in the thread seem to pick up the assumption that it's 2L, and I don't know whether it would make a difference in their views to know that it's 50% more than they thought.

You are correct...I am in the U.S.
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    ya caffeine withdrawal is extremely intense sometimes and it can last for 1-2 weeks. I am personally prone to caffeine addiction and my body really takes a shock when I go cold turkey so I try to limit caffeine in my diet altogether. Hang in there.

It’s believed that some 3 out of 4 regular caffeine users are actually addicted to the substance.

It's actually known to be one of the top most addictive substances in the world.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    AllieUK wrote: »
    You can get sick from drinking too much water, but at 2L a day you are nowhere near getting ill from it. I started drinking 3L a day and you will need to pee all the time, but you will come to find that a lot of the time you were hungry, you were actually just thirsty.

Drinking water helps you lose weight, clears your skin, gives you energy etc. But you will also have to start planning your life around toilets if you drink too much!

Also, don't drink a lot of water at once, you will get a sore tummy, better to sip water regularly instead of down it all at once!

So the peeing every two seconds doesn't stop?

not enough! On the plus side, I burn a lot of calories with having to get up a gazillion times to pee and walking to the bathroom. (Well, maybe not a gazillion, but every little bit helps, right?)

Sometimes I will add in a little extra exercise I do after I potty, like some wall push-ups. If I've already bothered to stand up might as well make it a little more productive.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    In the last week or so I have been drinking a 101.4 FL OZ container of water everyday. Prior to this I was maybe only drinking one glass of water a day (if that). Besides having to pee every two seconds, I feel like I am detoxing really bad. While I understand that detox is natural when you are eating better and/or drinking more water, how long does detox last? I just don't want to feel like crap forever and these migraines are getting really bad! I'm sure a lot of it has to do with how many toxins are in your body (which will differ), but I want to get a general idea from others that have experienced this same thing.

You're drinking a lot of water which may be helpful under certain conditions but the vast majority of what you're taking is in of zero physical benefit it you're eating a balanced diet. Indeed, in that you tell us that you are urinating very frequently, it would appear that you're spending a lot of quality time in the bathroom.

This abstract might be of interest:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12376390

As well, read this summary (and the article in the pdf at the bottom of the article)

https://geiselmed.dartmouth.edu/news/2002_h2/08aug2002_water.shtml

The work that Dr. Valtin is doing is, as far as I know, considered the gold standard. In short, in the PDF he reviews the medical literature available about water consumption and, he concludes in his document that contains the hundred citations to other medical documents, that there is no medical value to drinking eight glasses of water a day in a normally hydrated

Yes, folks who are trying to lose weight can benefit from drinking a lot of water in the event that they might be constipated. Another reason is that if you drink water your stomach feels full so you eat less. There's no arguing that those can be beneficial to certain people but, overall, medical science clearly indicates that there is no value to the body in drinking as much water as you were drinking as long as you are a normally hydrated individual.

The second point, the idea that you are "detoxing" - we have an organ that is dedicated to removing it harmful materials from the body. That's the primary function of our liver and in that we've had a liver for a few million years now, there's a pretty good chance that it's doing it's job.
    I do understand that "detoxing" is a popular pasttime but ,as with the popular misunderstanding about needing to drink scads of water, if you were to talk to somebody with a medical background about "detoxing" they would be somewhat confused as to what you're trying to accomplish.

Migraines are no laughing matter - I had migraines for years after an injury in the army and the pain was, at times, brutal. Have you considered seeing a doctor about your migraines?
  • janellevaught
    ATT949 wrote: »

You're drinking a lot of water which may be helpful under certain conditions but the vast majority of what you're taking is in of zero physical benefit it you're eating a balanced diet. Indeed, in that you tell us that you are urinating very frequently, it would appear that you're spending a lot of quality time in the bathroom.

This abstract might be of interest:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12376390

As well, read this summary (and the article in the pdf at the bottom of the article)

https://geiselmed.dartmouth.edu/news/2002_h2/08aug2002_water.shtml

The work that Dr. Valtin is doing is, as far as I know, considered the gold standard. In short, in the PDF he reviews the medical literature available about water consumption and, he concludes in his document that contains the hundred citations to other medical documents, that there is no medical value to drinking eight glasses of water a day in a normally hydrated

Yes, folks who are trying to lose weight can benefit from drinking a lot of water in the event that they might be constipated. Another reason is that if you drink water your stomach feels full so you eat less. There's no arguing that those can be beneficial to certain people but, overall, medical science clearly indicates that there is no value to the body in drinking as much water as you were drinking as long as you are a normally hydrated individual.

The second point, the idea that you are "detoxing" - we have an organ that is dedicated to removing it harmful materials from the body. That's the primary function of our liver and in that we've had a liver for a few million years now, there's a pretty good chance that it's doing it's job.
    I do understand that "detoxing" is a popular pasttime but ,as with the popular misunderstanding about needing to drink scads of water, if you were to talk to somebody with a medical background about "detoxing" they would be somewhat confused as to what you're trying to accomplish.

Migraines are no laughing matter - I had migraines for years after an injury in the army and the pain was, at times, brutal. Have you considered seeing a doctor about your migraines?

I have a doctor's appointment for it on the 28th. I hope the doctor can figure the migraines out if they aren't gone by then.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    I have a doctor's appointment for it on the 28th. I hope the doctor can figure the migraines out if they aren't gone by then.

Don't hold your breath, even neurologists can't pin down migraines.