How to start lifting

Options
So far I am only doing Body Pump classes which are high rep/low weights that everyone says is useless. I want to get into lifting heavier free weights but feeling too intimated by unfamiliar equipment in a busy gym. I'd like to do a simple program like Stronglifts 5x5 and have watched the videos of the founder doing the lifts but I'm not sure what equipment I should be using at my gym.

I go to a 24 Hour Fitness that looks like it has a power cage (I think?) and some sort of squat rack thing next to it which are both always busy. There are also some benches that look like they are for overhead presses? Some are slanted/ some are flat, no idea which ones I should actually use! I don't even know where to get the bars for deadlifts/ barbell rows.

Any recommendations for good websites to learn about specific equipment/what to do? Good beginner weightlifting books? My problem with watching videos of lifts is that I see what I should be doing but I do not know what I should be using at the gym to do it.

Replies

• Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Instagram is great for watching a quick how to video on any exercise. There are a 100s of fitness pages you can follow. You can also see if your gym gives you a free demonstation on how to use equipment correctly.
  • rach3649
    Options
    Are you able to go during 'staffed hours'? You are usually entitled to a 6-8 weekly free routine that will see you walked through equipment use by trained staff.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Every gym should give you at least one free session to review all the equipment and how to use it correctly.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think i would try and find someone with "intelligent" experience

example:PT or friend

Its tough to do compound lifts without any helpful pointers.

5x5

Squat: power cage should have a barbell inside it

Deadlift: a lot of mainstream fitness places dont have a spot but people generally take the barbell from the cage and set it on the ground in a open area not being used or right in front of the cage.

Bench: find a flat bench & it should have a barbell on it. When youre first starting out go light to avoid getting "stuck" under the bar(assuming no spotter.)

OHP(overhead press): might have a separate area, or you can use the power cage, or you can use the barbell with permanently attached weights most people use for curls. they usually go up to 120lbs(you can use these for deadlifts and rows.)
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'll see if there is staff that can show me around. I am a little concerned that they would try to sell personal training sessions as I have no interest in using a 24 hr fitness trainer.

Thanks for the info AnabolicKyle.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I joined a 24hr fitness recently and DID use a trainer. I asked for a trainer who would teach me barbell lifts and they matched me with a perfect person. Honestly it was quite valuable, but I understand that training there is absolutely outrageously expensive :(

However if you go it alone, you can use either the cage or the squat rack. I prefer the cage. I use those for squatting and overhead press (doing Stronglifts 5x5). My gym has an area with an olympic barbell on the floor for doing Deadlifts and Barbell Row. For bench press, you use the flat ones, but if you've never benched you might want to try one of the free benches with a lower fixed weight rather than starting on the bar.

If they won't help you and you just happen to live in OR and out of 400 clubs go to mine, I can show you the equipment. Not that I am some mega expert.
  • LazyFoodie
    Options
    Thanks threnjen! Unfortunately I don't live in OR but I manned (womaned) up this morning and just did it. Watched some more videos and googled pictures/ descriptions of gym equipment last night to prepare and told myself no excuses this morning. I did the Exercise A with just the barbell for squats using a squat rack and the flat bench for chest press and then a 60lb bar thing that has permanent weights attached for the rows (the only one where I wasn't sure if my form was right so I'll have to review videos again and ask my hubs to watch me at home). I was pretty proud of myself for getting through the mental block and just doing it though.

threnjen, do you go with the normal weight increases of 5lbs each time? I'm not sure if I should be adding less each time since I'm not a dude and I know I have pretty horrible upper body strength (although the chest presses with the empty bar was fine/ didn't feel too hard). Plus, does your 24 hr have small weights? the smallest I saw today when I looked around was 5lbs. I know the group exercise room has 2.5lb weights that go on the unweighted bars but I'm not sure if they fit the Olympic bar.
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use the Stronglifts 5x5 program and I only increase by 1 pound/exercise each time (the app allows one to adjust increase levels) because I found that my form was starting to get crummy adding five pounds to each exercise each lifting session. I started very light (just the bar on most exercises), am increasing slowly, and am starting to feel very strong and solid, so slow and steady seems like a pretty good technique to me. I do lift every other day, not 3x/week as Stronglift suggests, though.

I lift at home inside of a lifting cage.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    record your form, post it up here. Especially for squat and deadlift.

Those are two lifts you can gunge yourself up with.
  • LazyFoodie
    Options
    Thanks. I am thinking of getting trainer for a few sessions just to work on form for some basic lifts. I just need to find the right one.
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I was in your EXACT same position less than a week ago. I had been doing BodyPump but wanted to start Stronglifts.

I kept putting it off but finally decided to just go for it. I read every page of the "Form Check" thread in the "Stronglifts for Women" group here on MFP. And I watched all the form videos on the Stronglifts website.

And then finally I went for it. I didn't know where anything was either. When I first got to the gym I hoppped on a treadmill just to scope out the equipment so I didn't look completely lost. Then after 5 minutes I walked over the the squat rack and started.

I can do everything at the squat rack except for the bench press so it's nice to stay in the same location.

Just go for it!
  • ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Please try to get a trainer, even for a single session, form, especially with compund lifts is so important, not only for gains, but more importantly for safety. I have trained previously (many years ago) so had a good idea, but going back to do 5x5, which I am really enjoying, I needed a refresher.

I am quite weak for such a big guy, but given my history I know that I will gain strength quite quickly so going with the 5lbs per session increase. Both gyms that I use have 2.5lb weights.

I am still at the stage that I can use the Squat Rack and dont need a spotter, but I am moving in to that territory quite quickly. I may get another refresher when I use the cage as I assume that while safer, the range of motion may be different.

Use this forum to your advantage, many knowledgable people here, always willing to help.

Good luck and enjoy

N
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I am reading this with interest as I want to start adding weights to my usual cardio sessions. I have heard of a book called New rules of lifting for women. I didn't buy it yet- can anyone advise if it is worth buying?
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm still really new to doing Stronglifts, so I am not a great example, but so far I often repeat a weight to work on my form. Any time I feel my form was sloppy or just didn't feel right I will do that weight again.
    Some exercises like overhead press I just keep stalling out.it happens.
    At my 24 there are racks of weight plates including 2.5,these do fit on the Olympic barbell.

There is a Stronglifts group for women here on MFP, I'm on my phone or I would link you. It's a very friendly group and a great resource.
  • LazyFoodie
    edited October 2014
    Options
    SJKirt, I 've been staring at the free weight area for about two weeks now while on the stair climber every morning so only 5 mins of lurking sounds great to me.

ntw, why is the rack not as safe as the cage? There are bars on both sides of the rack that I used that I assume would catch the bar if I can't lift it? My gym is pretty busy even at 6am so my plan is to use the squat rack or the cage just depending on which is available.

runnerbean, I almost bought that book yesterday, but after reading the Amazon reviews decided not to because some of the comments didn't agree with the tone of the book and it seems like it has some teachings go against what I have found works for me as far as diet. I heard Starting Strength is good too and I think that would be the book I'd get based on people's comments on Amazon but I can't tell you for sure if either book is good since I have not read them.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am reading this with interest as I want to start adding weights to my usual cardio sessions. I have heard of a book called New rules of lifting for women. I didn't buy it yet- can anyone advise if it is worth buying?

Was just going to comment on this!

New Rules of Lifting for Women (book is easier to use than e-book, imo) is a GREAT resource for beginners to introduce you to lifting, the movements/exercises, and why doing certain things (like rest!) is good for muscle development. It's got an introduction with schedule, description and pictures of lifts, and a nutrition plan if you want to follow it. It was my first introduction to lifting after reading about it on here through some MFP friends; I also supplemented the pictures with videos from YouTube (accounts like Scott Herman fitness) and bodybuilding.com. Also Nia Shanks has some good resources too!

I don't know much about the boards on here, but the two facebook groups that cover NROLFW are GREAT; super active and helpful women that are awesome for motivation, advice, answering questions, reviewing videos for form, etc etc, they are like a lil lifting family to me since I don't have any girlfriends here physically that I lift with! Sometimes I also work out with a bodybuilding friend to make sure my form is good, but if you can get a trainer or someone to help you out at the beginning, that would be great!

Go for it though, lifting changed my life and I can't talk about it enough!!! Can also add me if you'd like to discuss more about NROLFW :D
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    AnnaVee84 wrote: »

Was just going to comment on this!

New Rules of Lifting for Women (book is easier to use than e-book, imo) is a GREAT resource for beginners to introduce you to lifting, the movements/exercises, and why doing certain things (like rest!) is good for muscle development. It's got an introduction with schedule, description and pictures of lifts, and a nutrition plan if you want to follow it. It was my first introduction to lifting after reading about it on here through some MFP friends; I also supplemented the pictures with videos from YouTube (accounts like Scott Herman fitness) and bodybuilding.com. Also Nia Shanks has some good resources too!

I don't know much about the boards on here, but the two facebook groups that cover NROLFW are GREAT; super active and helpful women that are awesome for motivation, advice, answering questions, reviewing videos for form, etc etc, they are like a lil lifting family to me since I don't have any girlfriends here physically that I lift with! Sometimes I also work out with a bodybuilding friend to make sure my form is good, but if you can get a trainer or someone to help you out at the beginning, that would be great!

Go for it though, lifting changed my life and I can't talk about it enough!!! Can also add me if you'd like to discuss more about NROLFW :D

Thanks for all that helpful info. See you on the Facebook group!